WnSoft Forums

Action on mouse click

Picsel

What is going wrong with actions on mouse click?

In the attached exemple there are three slides with a button labelled "Entrez"

For each slide the button should have the action listed below

(1)"Visages d'hommes" / "Entrez" Button properties =Action on mouse click/ run application or open file => http://www.wnsoft.com/soft/other/setup_mpc.exe

(2)"Scènes de rues" / "Entrez" Button properties =Action on mouse click/ open web page => http://www.artsvie.asso.fr/welcome.htm

(3)"Les Boutiques" / "Entrez" Button properties =Action on mouse click/run application or open file => > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXe6dDuGwA

Problems

1) Sometimes to times after clicking on a button, I got my PC freezed (no possibility to escape, no possibility to leave the application, no action possible, I must switch off the PC and restart)

Is this problem due to browser? firewall? how to avoid it?

2) Sometimes to times I got a 404 error page for (1) or (3)

3) When it works, for (3) I never succeed to open the right youtube video, it opens the youtube web page but not the video page.

NB: the links here are just given as an example but are not used for a slideshow.

Here is someone who could explain how to avoid PC freezed and to be sure that the action on mouse click will work correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel.

Config : dual core Intel T5200, Nvidia Geforce 7600, XP SP2 /PTEv5.6.1, Browser : IE or Mozilla Firefox, Firewall : ZoneAlarm

test_menu_v3.zip

Ho Daniel.

Right off ... I see your all path strings are Web Links ... because they are usig ///and not \\\ as used for file paths.

You will need to use Open Web Page as your Action instead of your current run application or open file for #1 and #3.

*Im not sure how the http://www.wnsoft.com/soft/other/setup_mpc.exe will work out for your needs ...since the file needs to be downloaded first.

* You may have to save the You Tube page using Save As - WebPage HTML Only ... and then run that file in Pte using Action-run application or open file . You will have to supply the saved .htm file with your slideshow however. I just tested the above senario and works as expected.

Note: There appears to be alot of additional link-script actions required to get just your link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXe6dDuGwA to actually play the video. At least the .htm senario will work for your needs.

Hi nobeefstu

thanks for your help

You will need to use Open Web Page as your Action instead of your current run application or open file for #1 and #3.

OK, so I have noted that whatever the web page content : application, file or page it is better to use "open web page" for all documents on the web is that right?

But that does not solve my main concern. My PC should not crash or (freeze) even if there is an error in the choice of action. I should get an error message or exit the EXe application but not a crash!

That seems to be a remaining bug inside PTE. If a new PTE user wants to test this function and get his PC crash I let you imagine how he will react!

*Im not sure how the http://www.wnsoft.com/soft/other/setup_mpc.exe will work out for your needs ...since the file needs to be downloaded first.

That is OK for me if the downloading window pops-up. That is the case when it works.

* You may have to save the You Tube page using Save As - WebPage HTML Only ... and then run that file in Pte using Action-run application or open file . You will have to supply the saved .htm file with your slideshow however. I just tested the above senario and works as expected.

Note: There appears to be alot of additional link-script actions required to get just your link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXe6dDuGwA to actually play the video. At least the .htm senario will work for your needs.

Sorry but I do not understand how to proceed, could you explain?

1) If I "save as -web page html only..." which should be the URL?

2) How to save the .htm file with an EXE slideshow?

3) Which link should I write for the "action on mouse clic"

Thanks in advance for all your helps and comments.

But the more important for me is to avoid that my PC crashes testing PTE functions.

Best regards

Daniel.

Piscel,

I have said this many times before on the Forum relative to unexplained "PC Crashes" ?

"Why are you using 'Zone-Alarm Firewall' when you have a very good (hardened) XP-Sp2 Firewall installed ???

Zone-Alarm is known to cause conflicts with XP2-Sp2 Firewall. If you dont believe that issue see Link below.

Many of these conflicts are still not fixed nor ever likely to be, because these 3rd.Party products are completely

superfluous and will never surpass the security now installed on XP-Sp2 and XP-Sp3 and Vista PCs.

Link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/09/ms...zonealarm_woes/

Its also very difficult to Uninstall 3rd. Party Firewalls and Virus-Vendors because the 'Uninstall' can do more damage

to your PC as they mess with the Registry. To 'Uninstall Zone-Alarm' its important read this Microsoft Link in detail.

Link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291793

Other information, when a PC 'Freezes'~ Its because its Processing something it can't resolve and ends up in a 'Loop'

locking-out everything else. Sorry but the PC User is generally responsible for this but also system-conflicts can do the

same thing. When it happens try pressing either of the Window-Buttons on your Keyboard that might work.

Piscel (like it or not) you have Machine issues here which have to be resolved before tackling PTE issues.

Do as I do ~take it easy, step back and look for the simple problem~ its always that which is overlooked !

Hope this helps...

Brian.Conflow.

Daniel,

That is OK for me if the downloading window pops-up. That is the case when it works.

When running Web Links its best to use the Action - Open Web Page . When running Web Links with Action - run application or open file you could end up with inconsistant behaviour.

Sorry but I do not understand how to proceed, could you explain?

1) If I "save as -web page html only..." which should be the URL?

2) How to save the .htm file with an EXE slideshow?

3) Which link should I write for the "action on mouse clic"

For 1 - No URL is required ... as the link data is contained within your saved Webpage .htm file. Since now the saved Webpage .htm file is a local file on your pc and not a weblink ... use Pte Action - run application or open file to open the Saved.htm.

For 2 -Pte does not have capabilities to save any files ... First, you will have to open your browser and save the webpage using the selection Save As - WebPage HTML Only (*htm,*htm) ... then supply the Saved.htm along with your slideshow.exe when you distribute (within zip or other packager)

For 3 - See For 1

But the more important for me is to avoid that my PC crashes testing PTE functions.

When I run your Weblink - http://www.wnsoft.com/soft/other/setup_mpc.exe using Action - run application or open file ... I dont get any pc freezes or crashes. I do at times get inconsistant behaviour to open the link, as sometimes it works and sometimes it gets a 404 error connection. If I use Action - Open Web Page for the weblink I get consistent proper connection and no 404 errors.

General Notes to save a Webpage Only from your current browser :

- Open yor browser and select menu bar Page | Save As - select Webpage Only from the selection box list. Save using any file name ... best to use something simple and short like MyLink.htm so as not to have possible longfile name and spacing issues with running on other users pcs.

post-45-1238499184_thumb.jpg

Piscel,

Piscel (like it or not) you have Machine issues here which have to be resolved before tackling PTE issues.

Do as I do ~take it easy, step back and look for the simple problem~ its always that which is overlooked !

Hope this helps...

Brian.Conflow.

Yes Brian it helps.

I do not want to "tackle" PTE for nothing otherwise I will not be here loosing your time.

Just for your information I use ZoneAlarm since several years and with many softwares without having experienced PC crashes except with these PTE functions.

So the meaning of your answer is very clear : These functions of PTE does not work with ZoneAlarm!

So we can consider either it is a ZoneAlarm issue, either it is a PTE one.

I am not alone to use ZoneAlarm, so we are many people having made the wrong choice.

Daniel.

Daniel,

It is a 'Technicians-Law' in the Computer Industry, one must never have 2 Firewalls running simultaneously.

For further information open your 'Google' and type in "Running 2 Firewalls on a PC" ~ you will get 2,700,000 Hits.

Now you must read and decide for yourself.

Your above Post reply:..."So we can consider either it is a Zone-Alarm issue, or either it is a PTE one"...

Sorry, that is an assumption. There is nothing wrong with Zone-Alarm nor with PTE. I made that quite

clear in my original Post. I gave you 2 Links about this problem and I asked you to read them in detail ~ did you?.

Its nearly 95% certain that you have a 'System-Conflict' issue on your PC ~ and may I ask, have you applied the

Zone-Alarm upgrades recommended some time ago. These were a 'remedy' to make the product more compatible

with the XP-Upgrades released last year and there have been more Xp-Sp2 upgrades since then.

As I said, you need to sort out these issues first ~ before tackling any (assumed) issues with PTE and those are rare.

Best regards,

Brian.Conflow

post-1416-1238533201_thumb.png

Hi Brian

I think there are some misunderstandings

It is a 'Technicians-Law' in the Computer Industry, one must never have 2 Firewalls running simultaneously.

For further information open your 'Google' and type in "Running 2 Firewalls on a PC" ~ you will get 2,700,000 Hits.

Now you must read and decide for yourself.

Who said that I was running two Firewalls on my PC? Not me for sure!

Sorry, that is an assumption. There is nothing wrong with Zone-Alarm nor with PTE. I made that quite

clear in my original Post. I gave you 2 Links about this problem and I asked you to read them in detail ~ did you?.

Yes, Brian, obviously I did it! I took some times to read your links but sorry as far I have read, I am not concerned. I made regular upgrades when necessary and repeat, I use ZoneAlarm since several years with many softwares without experiencing such a problem. But when I run PTE Exe with "action on mouse clic" I got a PC crash (or freeze if you prefer). That is a fact not an assumption!!

And when you said "Its nearly 95% certain that you have a 'System-Conflict' issue on your PC " for me it is clearly your assumption.

However I am ready to make some deeper analysis but I regret to say that this "System-Conflict" happens only when running PTE .exe files including some speficic "action on mouse clic". Up to now I have no problem at all running other PTE exe files.

I think it is better for PTE future that PTE developpers be advised of that problem and have a look on it.

In any case of such a problem, I would prefer, that PTE send me an error message and exit the application rather than to freeze my PC. For software engineer when the PC freezes that wants to say that there is a branch in the algorithme with no return and no information coming and sometimes to times they call that a "bug".

Best regards

Daniel

did you file a report to wnsoft

i believe there is a link beside igor's signature

Igor Kokarev, WnSoft - wnsoft.com , Write letter

ken

No Ken not yet! I thought that Igor or someone in his team has a look on the forums threads sometimes to times, am I wrong?

Daniel.

if you have a problem go to the top -- dont rely on a quick answer here - -i would say that you are not really concerned or you would have gone to the top right away -- if i feel a program is crashing my system somebody better have an answer ASAP

you have been writing for 2 days now

maybe start a new thread titled "Zone-Alarm Problems" - -refer back to this thread and see if there are any answers

ken

Daniel,

This is what I am saying:-

1) You are running XP-Sp2...This OP.System has an embedded 'Microsoft Firewall' which is "On" by default.

2) Zone-Alarm is also a Firewall ~ Its a 3rd.party Firewall and if activated it 'clashes' with the XP-Sp2 Firewall,

3) You can choose to run one or the other but not both at the same time

On my "Test Show" (using your Url's) the "Action on Button Click" works perfectly.

If any Forum Member wants to see this 'Test-Show' download the Zip-File below, Save it, Unzip it, then Run it.

'Attached' are details of the Show and copies of the Url's and screen-shots of the downloaded Web Sites.

Daniel ~ You will have to look elsewhere to solve your 'Action on Button Click' problem ~ It is NOT a PTE problem.

Your (Button-1) the PTE Url ~ was downloading 'Home Cinema Classic Exe' ~ I removed this to save Forum time.

Your French-Site has a very slow Server, it takes some time to open up.

Brian.Conflow.

Test.zip

post-1416-1238633533_thumb.png

post-1416-1238633551_thumb.png

post-1416-1238633565_thumb.png

post-1416-1238633580_thumb.png

Hi Brian, Ken, Nobeefstu

thanks again for your time

1) Firewalls/ ZoneAlarm...Perhaps my poor english is the cause of misunderstandings, sorry for that, but I have never said that I was running 2 Firewalls at the same time!

2) Concerning use of "Action on mouse clic" nobeefstu answers were clear and useful thanks again to him. I have reported them on our french forum.

3) PC crash with some specific "action on mouse clic" remains an issue for me (and I can guess for others) but Ken don't need to worry any more about that I will survive and my PC too. I understand that at the time being nobody knows the right answer. I do not want to spend more time asking others for a problem which happens only with specific action of PTE. I will not use these specific actions and will advise our club members about some possible difficulties. As you say : wait and see!

Daniel.

Hi all,

I noticed one problem when I tried to open on mouse click the following document from the Web:

"http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/help/5.6/PicturesToExe_User_Guide_v560.pdf"

using “Open Web page” , as well as using “Run application or open file”. After pressing the button the standard browser opened (tested with IEv6 and Firefox), but in the browser's address line the file name appeared in small letters, leading to a 404 Not Found error on the Apache Web server.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Brian, Ken, Nobeefstu

thanks again for your time

1) Firewalls/ ZoneAlarm...Perhaps my poor english is the cause of misunderstandings, sorry for that, but I have never said that I was running 2 Firewalls at the same time!

2) Concerning use of "Action on mouse clic" nobeefstu answers were clear and useful thanks again to him. I have reported them on our french forum.

3) PC crash with some specific "action on mouse clic" remains an issue for me (and I can guess for others) but Ken don't need to worry any more about that I will survive and my PC too. I understand that at the time being nobody knows the right answer. I do not want to spend more time asking others for a problem which happens only with specific action of PTE. I will not use these specific actions and will advise our club members about some possible difficulties. As you say : wait and see!

Daniel.

AS YET I SEE NO THREAD

maybe start a new thread titled "Zone-Alarm Problems" - -refer back to this thread and see if there are any answers

have you downloaded Brians test yet????

ken

Daniel,

I, too, do not have any problem running Brian's test of the three examples of button action. However, as Ken pointed out, the French site referenced by "button 2" is very slow-loading. A lot of people would be put off by this and not bother to stick around until it finished. The other two websites open almost immediately.

Hi Al and Ken,

I see you agree with me concerning the French Site (Link) :-

http://www.artsvie.asso.fr/welcome.htm

Title:- ARTS Et VIE. This seems to be on a single Server System

and on account of all the Images and English Translation page this

would slow up its rendering to a snails pace, it takes 32.secs to load.

And we all know that it is not Pte's fault.....Daniel please Note!!

Brian.

Hi all,

I confirm Al's findings. No problems at all with any of the actions on mouse click in Brian's test file. And yes, that French site is slow, slow, SLOW! If I hadn't been doing the test I would not have waited for the complete download. I would have taken my business elsewhere!

regards,

Peter

Hi Brian, Ken, Al,

I have made several runs today with Brian's test file and that works perfectly well on my PC without any problem even with or without ZoneAlarm. I got no crash!

Brian could you send us your saved file zip in order to understand how you proceed and solve some problem with youtube URL for example?

Thanks in advance Daniel.

Daniel and All,

Firstly thank's to you Guys who ran this "Test" and reported back from many Countries.

Some time ago I developed a technique to make 'Action on Mouse' work despite many

PC problems and stupid typo error's I had made myself. I also found that simply 'Pasting'

a Url into the Pte Command Box under 'Action on Mouse' did not always work.

This had nothing to do with PTE as I had used 'Notepad' in the past to contain an accurate

copy of many Url's. Then Notepad also started to become unreliable until I discovered

many Websites needed to download a 'cookie' on to your PC before you could get access

to Accounts and downloadable Flash-Files and other Media. However if I used the Links in

Favourites in 'Internet-Explorer' there were no failures. After much work I realised that

many 'dynamic' Websites needed intact metadata pointing to JScripts and CSS Docs in order

to access Multi-media embedded on those sites. YouTube is such an example, there are many.

What always work's for us is a way of using 'Wordpad' which retains and saves Metadata such

as when saving a Webpage in the format 'Save As'. When solely saving the Web-Address Line

it seems Wordpad has better intergration with the Pte Program than other Word Documents

and within the past 2 years I had no failures with this simple procedure.

It is also important that you keep the Wordpad Document within the Slideshow Folder.

Below are 'Instructions' on how to do this and why it works. It works on Win 2000,XP,Vista.

Be prepared for a surprise when you 'hit' the Rtf File below ~ how fast it opens up.

Brian.Conflow.

(Edited 3/4/09 - 09:30 GMT)

post-1416-1238728093_thumb.png

Instructions.pdf

Instructions.rtf

On my machine I still observe the problem that URLs which are handed over from the Run/Open field in PTE to the browser are modified to lower case, leading to 404 errors on Apache servers; see my previous post.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver,

I have no experience with 'Apache Servers' but the fact that Urls' (Address Lines) are modified to

lower-case is normal, it would seem something is not correctly set-up in the Internet Explorer Page

that is the final 'junction' before the Url-Stream is transmitted into the Internet.

It might not be supporting RTF Format or Cookies or some other tiny Utility may be turned

off or the HTML Editor may be incorrectly set to something other than Notepad. That makes Url's

into lower case, not Pte. It may be that 'Apache' wants RTF Format as the HTML Editor then use

Wordpad, thats simply a guess ?.

When you open Internet-Explorer,select-->Tools then-->Internet Options. You need to drill down

through the Tabs marked Security-Privacy-Programs-Advanced, under the 'Advanced Tab' make

sure (Always send Urls as UTF-8) is checked and under the Accessibility Tab make sure all those

"boxes" are empty. You might have to hit the 'Restor Defaults' Button and then reset the

Security-Privacy Tabs to Medium. I don't envy that job !

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks to you to share with us what you have found. In fact in order to avoid any problem by using PTE "action on mouse clic" as it is today, you have found a clever way to solve it but you must recognize it is not so obvious for common PTE users.

I made several tests by modifying the file test attached in my first post following step by step your instructions but without any success, and again I experienced some PC crashes.

What is going wrong? I do not know. I have understood "this had nothing to do with PTE" except that in my case, it happens only running PTE file and only by clicking on a button with such an action. (I confirm that I had no problem at all running your own test file and it works perfectly well !)

1) Please could you be kind enough to correct my own file test and send it us back in order we can see how to apply your instructions. I unlikely miss something important.

2)

Highlight the target Url then Copy it, and Paste it into the empty Pte Window below 'Action on

Mouse'. Then 'click' O.K on the top of the Page.This creates a command-line for the Url within the

Pte Program.

I can guess that "OK" is the red cross to close the O&A window, is that right?

3)

You can create many Command-lines within this Box ~ a List of these is available

from Pte

Is that list available on the forum or should we ask it to Igor ?

Best regards

Daniel.

PS:

I have also experienced in some cases same problem "404 error" as described by Xaver in his previous post but I cant say if it is a server problem or not.

Piscel,

I don't have the time right now to answer all your questions as we are closing down for an early Weekend.

However I did retrieve your Test-Menu File:- "test_menu_v3" and tried to open it ~ It would not open

That is simply the "pte.Dat File" (Work in progress File) there never are any Images in such Files.

I then decoded it with 'Wordpad' and below is the 'Text-File Instructions' as a Word.Doc and as a Pdf.

I also enclose a 'Screen-Shot' of the results when I tried to open the File ~ Post that on the Forum.

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1238763169_thumb.png

test_menu_yemenv3__Wordpad_.rtf

test_menu_yemenv3__Wordpad_.pdf