WnSoft Forums

Wensleydale Agricultural Show 2009

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

This exe contains 96 pictures from the above. I know it isn't perfect but it was done for a deadline.

Yachtsman1

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8ad124354296d6c795af63b7d44918aaff6c349762f97aef

Revised version with fixed slide size for larger monitors. http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8ad124354296d6c795af63b7d44918aaeb2fd6a906b22089

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This exe contains 96 pictures from the above. I know it isn't perfect but it was done for a deadline.

Yachtsman1

http://www.mediafire...f6c349762f97aef

Eric

the only thing missing (besides the collies) was the smell of fried onions -- will have to put a bug in Igors ear -- he seems to be able to do almost anything -"SMELL TO EXE"rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifblink.gifblink.gif

brought back memories - had an 8N Ferguson/Ford

great job

KEN

Eric -

Once I could see via your sub title that the images were 1024 x 768, it explained why the images looked fuzzy when showing on a 1920 x 1080 monitor, The vertical (768) is stretched all the way from top to bottom of my screen. I'm presumimng you forgot to check the box. I'm using PTE 5.1 and frankly, I don't know where the checkbox is that prevents upward scaling. I've never had the issue brought to my attention, although maybe it's because I usually saved my images at 1280 x 853, and more recently at 1920 x 1080.

Maybe other can chime in here and report what they are seeing, and where specifically the little checkbox is.

Regards,

Dave

Eric -

Once I could see via your sub title that the images were 1024 x 768, it explained why the images looked fuzzy when showing on a 1920 x 1080 monitor, The vertical (768) is stretched all the way from top to bottom of my screen. I'm presumimng you forgot to check the box. I'm using PTE 5.1 and frankly, I don't know where the checkbox is that prevents upward scaling. I've never had the issue brought to my attention, although maybe it's because I usually saved my images at 1280 x 853, and more recently at 1920 x 1080.

Maybe other can chime in here and report what they are seeing, and where specifically the little checkbox is.

Regards,

Dave

Eric - In version 5.6, here is what the users guide says:

Fixed size of slide (in pixels) is the option, which doesn't allow the picture to change in size

if the screen is larger than the picture itself. In this case, the black lines which color you may

change, appear. If the option is unchecked, the picture can be zoomed. The next option

Caption of show works only for the Windowed Mode. If you have chosen Fullscreen mode,

then this option is of no use to you. Hardware acceleration option should be generally

checked, if you create the show with animations. It gives you an opportunity to watch your

slide show with a better quality.

This checkbox can be found under Project Options/Screen

Dave

Eric - In version 5.6, here is what the users guide says:

Fixed size of slide (in pixels) is the option, which doesn't allow the picture to change in size

if the screen is larger than the picture itself. In this case, the black lines which color you may

change, appear. If the option is unchecked, the picture can be zoomed. The next option

Caption of show works only for the Windowed Mode. If you have chosen Fullscreen mode,

then this option is of no use to you. Hardware acceleration option should be generally

checked, if you create the show with animations. It gives you an opportunity to watch your

slide show with a better quality.

This checkbox can be found under Project Options/Screen

Dave

Dave - Eric's show full screen on my 1024/768 19" 4:3 monitor

btw i always resize my picts to 1920/1080 and let pte look after things -

ken

Hi Eric,

I looked at part of the show (on a 800 px high monitor) before seeing the last couple of posts and it was obvious that it was being upscaled if indeed you built it using 1024x768 images (I would not want to view on my 1200 high monitor). One of the early slides is showing signs of pixellation which could be the result of the upscaling (or possibly over-zooming AND upscaling).

If you are going to create a version in true 1024x768 I'll wait to see the rest of it then.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

The reason I use 1024x768 is to keep the file size down. If I know a show is over 25mb I won't bother to download it. I don't intend re-sizing the pictures as they suit my equipment, however if required I will produce a second exe file with the constrain size box ticked, but you would see the show in a black box. Let me know.

Yachtsman1

Hi All

The reason I use 1024x768 is to keep the file size down. If I know a show is over 25mb I won't bother to download it. I don't intend re-sizing the pictures as they suit my equipment, however if required I will produce a second exe file with the constrain size box ticked, but you would see the show in a black box. Let me know.

Yachtsman1

Eric -

I understand why you are sizing your pictures at 1024 x 768. Checking the box to prevent "upscaling" does not denigrate your viewing experience, but it will greatly improve the experience of those viewing with larger screens. I would much prefer a black box (frame) that pixelated, fuzzy images. I can easily scoot my chair a little closer to the screen, but I can do nothing to clear up a fuzzy picture.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi All

Yachtsman1

Eric -

I read this a little closer the second time. Perhaps there something going on that I don't understand. It seems to me that you don't need to create a second exe file with the constraint box ticked. All you need to do is check the box to prevent upscaling of your 1024 x 768 images. PTE will handle the details.

Dave

Hi Eric,

I just played the revised version and it's much better on both my 800 high monitor and especially my 1200 high monitor.

Thanks for resolving the zoom issue - I think that you just about got away with the vertical pan. One slide of a tractor/lorry/bus had a white line down the LHS.

Very colouful and a great record of what looked like a successful day. The whole thing seemed familiar, as though I had seen some of the shots before?

One suggestion (purely because it will be seen on larger monitors than yours) - a thin white border would REALLY set it off.

Thanks for sharing,

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Dave

I prefer to see the full picture, so no borders. Can't find any white lines on the slides you mentioned. If you've seen pictures of other steam fairs it's probably the same exhibitors? If you look on Flickr at Wensleydale Camera Clubs group, there are some of the pictures on there and you can check the profile which will authenticate them. There are also a couple of the pictures the wife took at the show with her D40.

Regards Eric.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Here's the slide with the white line on the LHS - it is possible that you can't see it because of your screen res.

I have used the same slide to show you what the effect would be to us.

DaveG

Hi Dave

I've checked the tractor slide & there is a fine white line on the LH side. However is is not as pronounced as on your ss. I have noticed when re-sizing cropped images with E6 although the parameters are set at 1024x768 occasionally one of the sizes loses a pixel, say 1023 or 767 maybe thats what caused it. I usually check each slide when it's inserted in PTE, but as I said before this was rushed out and may have been missed, I still don't see it when the show is running. I will try to do better next time :P

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

If anyone is thinking of putting a line around images, I feel the best way to now do this is to create a png file that contains just the thin line and a transparent centre.

Name this file frame.png or line.png and in the objects and animation screen you can overlay that onto your images. Once to click to add the line/frame to the first slide, highlight and copy the file name from the Objects section and you can quickly paste that onto the rest of your images by skipping from image to image in the objects and animation screen

The benefits of doing this, is that if you decide the line is too bright, too thick, white when you want it black. All you have to do is adjust the original png in your image editor and save that over the original one in PTE. As the line/frame has already been applied to all the images, your changes will be instant and not set in stone. Easily changeable later if and when you think it appropriate.

DaveG is right that is it FAR more preferable to see a smaller, but sharp image by ticking that box. A black border is not such a problem, but those using larger monitors will see the edge of your images. Dark edged images on a dark background don't look good when you can see that edge, hence the suggestion to add a thin line. You can change the background colour to white, but that will depend on the images you are using and then may require a black line.

Its all about presentation, which is at the heart of AV

Hi Eric,

"I've checked the tractor slide & there is a fine white line on the LH side. However is is not as pronounced as on your ss"

This is probably an indication that your monitor is not showing you the full 1024x768. Are you running larger native resolution monitor at 1024x768? That could also be an issue for you.

DaveG

As is has been said by the author of the show himself "it isn't perfect". So, not very much remains to say. One mistake could have been avoided easily: The use of the song "Mercedes Benz". It is always difficult to use vocal music in AV productions, as the lyrics have to fit to the scene. Mercedes Benz (also known as "The Politician") has a strong socio-critical background. The original version was sung a cappella by Janis Joplin short time before she died.

Regards,

Xaver

Daveg

If you recall the thread on the other AV Eric posted I could not understand this either. I asked the question previously:-

Why make a slide show at 1024*768 and then show it on a 1280*1024 laptop screen so that the images are enlarged as I described earlier. And of course they wouldn't fit the format.

All things being equal Eric must be mistaken in thinking the format and quality remains the same from his 1024*768 original to the 1280*1024 screen he is playing the show on.

I'm confused too ?

Guest Yachtsman1

This is turning the English/Spanish inquisition :angry: First you throw doubt that the images in the show weren't mine, now you won't believe I can see the show as it should be seen. For the last time, the following images are screen shots of the show paused, first to show the pictures aren't distorted & fill my 17inch monitor, No 2 show a crowd scene that can be directly compared for content to what you have downloaded, and the third shows my laptop with the size of the screen clearly visible. So come on get off my back and lets move forward.

Xaver I did contemplate a Wagner big finish, Genevieve was too obscure, & I couldn't find "she had to get under, get out and get under to fix his little machine" so I settled for one to please Ken :P

The DT file name refers to Doubting Thomas as Dave shall henceforth be known.

Yachtsman1 ;)

post-5560-125201370223_thumb.jpg

post-5560-12520137243_thumb.jpg

post-5560-125201375752_thumb.jpg