WnSoft Forums

Wensleydale Agricultural Show 2009

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Dave

If you take the two images in my last post as an example, the portrait image would either have thick black lines either side or would have to be animated to see it in full. I saw the cinemascope era begin back in the 50's & 60's with vista vision & the like but it was just another method of trying to get people into cinemas rather than watch TV. The modern TV screen is another pandering to that era to enable the films to be shown on TV. As I said previously I have a 16-9 TV which takes up a large lump of our lounge and dominates the room. I think it's just a matter of taste. My theory is the developemnt has come about by the modern cinema projection systems needing to be as close to the screen as possible, so to get bums on seats they made the cinema's wider.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric –

If I understand your position correctly on the wide-screen format trend, you suggest that it’s a marketing conspiracy. Some of that may be true; most marketing schemes are designed get the consumer to buy something new. However, the shift in viewing formats is a wonderful improvement in my estimation because of how I perceive the world.

It also sounds like you are determined to stay in a “squarish” world, at least for now, because that is what your current equipment supports and works fine with the local groups you deal with. You only encountered some suggestions to move to a wide format when presenting your work to a larger audience.

As long as you keep your original pictures, you can always go back later and make changes. I process all of my images in Photoshop, so I know first-hand that it’s a major deal to go back and reformat the shows for a wide-format world. As long as you are aware that you may someday go down that path, then I understand why you don’t want to change now.

Lastly, I’m confused by the fact that you already have a HDTV. Do you realize that you are only a new computer with an HDMI video card away from seeing your images on your TV? When that day happens, you don’t want to be square.

Take care Eric,

Dave

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Guys

I've answered my own question, my hardware will not cope with what is being proposed. I've just done a test show with the first 10 images, sized at 1350-1080, set at level 7 in elements 6, with the portrait images animated so they fill the screen then pan from bottom to top. They suffered from judder. So I re-sized them to 1024x768, level 5, kept the same animation, the show ran smooth as silk, looks fine on my laptop and TV, presumeably on my projector,so long as I switch off the laptop screen.

So for now that's what I will be doing for the forseeable future unless I win the lottery.

So if I do decide to post another show, it will contain the health warnings the last one did.

To anyone of a nervous disposition who sizes their shows as I do, don't post them on here if you haven't got a tough skin.

Yachtsman1

Eic

In photography as in life there are rights and wrongs, but many things are just personal preference.

However, looking at the format of a 1280*1024 image is not very good. Its a terrible shape for composition, it just isn't a comfortable shape to our eyes. You will be using widescreen at some stage, so you might as well bite the bullet and do it now, later you will be glad you did. From what I see here, you would be hard pressed to get a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor anyway.

I bet you are a really nice guy, but if I talked to your family I bet they would stay you are a stubborn so and so too.

Which one of the two attached image formats are best? It really is no contest and if you have some verticals that won't fit, dump them. Its not compulsory to use them and you can often make a show miles better by what you discard

Guest Yachtsman1

Well I've just got up, the sun is shining & in a couple of hours I'll be off to the Hunton Steam Fair with my camera and sound recorder. When I get back I'll edit what I've got and compile an AV show, which is part of my hobby. The pictures will be sized at 1024x768 or 768x1024, and set at level 5 in Elements 6. Depending on what I think of it will determine whether I decide to up-load it onto one of the hosting sites. I won't however be posting a link on here.

Barry, you really should take a good look at yourself, I suspect you are frustrated. You've been toddling along aparrantley quite contented with life, then about 18 months ago you began to get angry. It was quite noticeable with how you were treating people on your forum. It is also quite noticeable that the numbers of your followers have dwindled to a trickle.

Then out of the blue it would appear, in your late fifties you make a life changing decision to move to the other side of the world, possibly to try to ease your frustrations. Now you are adopting the tactics you use on your own forum to try to put your point across. I can be as insulting as the next man, however on this forum we try to moderate how we act. I can only assume you are used to getting your own way.

Anyway, I've said all I want to on the matter, I will continue with how i'm doing things as know doubt you will, so in the future if you happen across one of my shows, don't use it as a means of getting your jollies, just pass by on the other side, please.

I'm off to the fair.

Yachtsman1 ;)

... Barry, you really should take a good look at yourself, I suspect you are frustrated. You've been toddling along aparrantley quite contented with life, then about 18 months ago you began to get angry...

What about opening a new forum section on psychological counselling, guided by an experienced sea dog? :wacko:

Regards,

Xaver

You will be pleased to hear that I have been for treatment and I am completely cured

The doctor made me aware that while many people may offer slide shows for 'comment', what they are really asking for is approval.

So, now I know this I can avoid causing any upset in future, you will see a new me ohmy.gif

Only wonderful glowing comments rolleyes.gif

and if you believe that, you will believe anything

Guest Yachtsman1

Thought I was seeing things while checking the pictures my wife took at the steam fair Saturday, she said the subject lookd funny enough for one of the club comps with the right caption. "A Pair of Monkeys???", I said they wouldn't see the joke. :P

Yachtsman1

post-5560-125301321329_thumb.jpg

post-5560-125301323925_thumb.jpg