WnSoft Forums

Wensleydale Agricultural Show 2009

Guest Yachtsman1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eic

Sorry to prolong this, but now you have posted a few images and we can see how they display, the issue is now clear.

Your mistaken wink.gif But before you get upset, please be aware we are only trying to help and give you a heads up

You quite clearly have a black band top and bottom of your screen in all those images you posted. This means we have been right all along and that your 1024*768 images ARE being enlarged to fit the 1280 width resolution. You have created images, which are 1024 pixels wide, your screen is 1280 pixels wide. PTE expands your 1024 pixels and spreads them along 1280. In doing this your images meet the edges of your screen first and stop. That is what is causing the black band, but even that is not the issue we have been trying to get across. The black band can be ignored and its not a big issue.

Image quality is an issue. You cannot make an image which is 1024 pixels in length and then display it at 1280 without the quality of your image being affected. I am surprised you cannot see any difference in your images. The effect of going from 1024 to 1280 isn't huge, but I, and most others on this forum would spot it every day of the week and twice on Sundays. What your doing is degrading your images.

It is the whole reason I originally said, why not tick that box as it has no effect on you at all working with 1024*768 images, but it has an enormous effect on others. You don't even have to create two sequences, just tick the box and all is fine, for us and you.

Try this, run your slide show first with the box unticked and then with it ticked and if you tell me you see no difference in the images, then ...................I can't find a better way to say this................. you need better glasses rolleyes.gif

Guest Yachtsman1

Barry

Clearly the sunny climes of Oz have addled your brain, maybe if you took off the shades things would be clearer. The images below are what is seen with the box ticked, it may be fine for you but I know which I prefer. Now let's terminate this or one of the moderators will be calling time. This protracted diatribe has probably put off hundreds of possible show posters from ever displaying what they produce.

Our energies would be best served by helping/persuading Igor & Co to sort the new forum so that it is acceptable to all without having to modify our systems to use it.

Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-125204666782_thumb.jpg

post-5560-125204670811_thumb.jpg

post-5560-125204674432_thumb.jpg

post-5560-125204678925_thumb.jpg

Eric,

I DID NOT - repeat - DID NOT - infer that your images were anything other than your own.

My question was whether YOU had posted these images before.

I would welcome an apology.

I will not reply to any of your threads in future. It is not worth the hassle.

Best wishes,

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

I DID NOT - repeat - DID NOT - infer that your images were anything other than your own.

My question was whether YOU had posted these images before.

I would welcome an apology.

I will not reply to any of your threads in future. It is not worth the hassle.

Best wishes,

DaveG

"The whole thing seemed familiar, as though I had seen some of the shots before?"

That is exactly what you wrote, which suggests to me, (and possibley 50% of those who read it) you thought I had pinched the images, from elsewhere. There is an old expression, engage brain before putting mouth, (in this case pen) into gear.

The warning about the images & their sizes was on the first post, so all this harassment could have been avoided if people would read before jumping into print.

It will be a long time before I take the chance of going through this bullying by posting a show again. And to finish, it was you who was hassling, I was defending.

Yachtsman1

"The whole thing seemed familiar, as though I had seen some of the shots before?"

That is exactly what you wrote, which suggests to me, (and possibley 50% of those who read it) you thought I had pinched the images, from elsewhere. There is an old expression, engage brain before putting mouth, (in this case pen) into gear.

The warning about the images & their sizes was on the first post, so all this harassment could have been avoided if people would read before jumping into print.

It will be a long time before I take the chance of going through this bullying by posting a show again. And to finish, it was you who was hassling, I was defending.

Yachtsman1

Yachtsman1

Please, don´t set sail and leave the forum! :huh:

There are a lot of members following the debate and discussions on the forum

and enjoy it and learn from it but never post anything.

The forum may sometimes remind me of the British Parliament but never the less

the bottom line is that there is always something to be learned.

So, keep up the good work, Yachtsman1. Do not give up the forum. :)

/Lennart

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi ESC

Sailing away is the last thing on my mind, we lived aboard for 3 years so i've had my fill of sailing. What I won't be doing is posting any more AV shows, life is too short to suffer the ignomomies I have this week. I'll keep my work for those who appreciate it and my own enjoyment.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken

It was meant as a derogatory referral to your age, Mtoto was one of the steam engines in the show, which I suggested would be more appropriate to the Fordson you said you once owned. Obviously lost in translation.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Hi Ken

It was meant as a derogatory referral to your age, Mtoto was one of the steam engines in the show, which I suggested would be more appropriate to the Fordson you said you once owned. Obviously lost in translation.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

THERE IS QUITE A following of steam engine owners in our area - i dont go anymore to the annual event, been +- 40 years since i was at one --

see

http://www.steamthresher.com/

http://www.olivertractors.ca/goodison_connection_information.htm

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

THERE IS QUITE A following of steam engine owners in our area - i dont go anymore to the annual event, been +- 40 years since i was at one --

see

http://www.steamthresher.com/

http://www.olivertractors.ca/goodison_connection_information.htm

ken

Hi Ken

We have a couple of steam fairs close by, one is at Masham pronounced Massam which is home to the Black Sheep Brewerey, they have a site at http://www.mashamsteamrally.co.uk/ The other is at Hunton a tiny village about 4 miles away, we haven't managed to get there since we moved up here, first year it was cancelled because the field was waterlogged, the next one is next w/end 13th/14th, hopefully the weather will be clement, will let you have some pics if we get there.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman

Hi Ken

We have a couple of steam fairs close by, one is at Masham pronounced Massam which is home to the Black Sheep Brewerey, they have a site at http://www.mashamsteamrally.co.uk/ The other is at Hunton a tiny village about 4 miles away, we haven't managed to get there since we moved up here, first year it was cancelled because the field was waterlogged, the next one is next w/end 13th/14th, hopefully the weather will be clement, will let you have some pics if we get there.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman

that would be great -- make sure you post them and a link to a show if you make one -- the fire is down to embers nowrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Sorry to drag everyone back to the comments made about the size used to make this show. However, although I appeared to be not accepting the suggestions made. However, I am off to the local steam fair tomorrow & hope to come back with another batch of pictures to create a show. In an effort to compromise I have just sized one of my wife's pictures from the agricultural show at 5-4 which is the ratio of my laptop, I ticked the fix slide size and set the project options screen ratio to 5-4. The picture now fills my laptop screen, but when projected to my 16-9 TV looks stretched. When I do the same with a 4-3 picture I have a narrow black strip top and bottom on my laptop and a less stretched picture on the TV. My digital projector is 4-3 XGA, so what is going to happen to the picture on that??? I haven't tried it as it's a load of trouble setting it up. So before I go to the trouble of setting all the new slides to 5-4 I would like someone to convince me what I am doing is going to produce better results with the equipment I have, for me. The 5-4 picture is below. The quality is 7 in elements & 1350x1080.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-125267476433_thumb.jpg

Eric

Just try once and make a test show of a dozen images that you shoot at the Steam fair. Dump your 1024*768 and your 1280*1024. Make your slide show 1920*1080

Save your images at Jpeg level 6, which will save a bit of strain on your PC.

It will play on your PC with a black band top and bottom, but so what. At least you retain a far better format than 5:4. 16:9 is far far better on the eye than the near square 1280*1024

It will play perfectly OK on your projector, I did a demo the night before last and showed two shows made at 1920*1200, both played perfectly through a 1024*768 projector

It will also convert to a DVD and on most flat screen TV's will play filling the screen, edge to edge and top to bottom

Then you will not be loosing any quality when you view the shows and others will also see it just as you intended. What more could you possibly want rolleyes.gif

Guest Yachtsman1

Barry

Are you taking the file size this would create into account, exe file size will increase dramatically, so download time will increase. I'm afraid I don't agree with the comment about 16-9 being better on the eye than 1280-1024. As a photographer taking both landscape & portrait style pictures 1280-1024 gives a good compromise. We have a projected images comp' at our club, if you showed a portrait image in widescreen format it would be half the size. I'm afraid the jury is still out.

Just back from the steam fair showground to see if I could grab a couple of pre show pics, just happened to come across these two guys delivering their miniature traction engines. First picture is called "letting off steam", second is "Memories of Fred", for the non UK viewer, Fred refers to Fred Dibnah a sadly missed TV personallity, who was a steeple jack & steam entusiast who lived around the corner from where I worked back in the 60's, liked a pint & a fag (cigarette) & had the filthiest cap you've ever seen.

Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-125268258032_thumb.jpg

post-5560-125268261689_thumb.jpg

Barry

Are you taking the file size this would create into account, exe file size will increase dramatically, so download time will increase. I'm afraid I don't agree with the comment about 16-9 being better on the eye than 1280-1024. As a photographer taking both landscape & portrait style pictures 1280-1024 gives a good compromise. We have a projected images comp' at our club, if you showed a portrait image in widescreen format it would be half the size. I'm afraid the jury is still out.

Hello Eric -

Regarding what is more natural and pleasing to the eye, you have to wonder why the industry of televisions and computer monitors are going to wide-screen formats. Movie theaters have long used wide-screens and that was part of the awe of going to the movies.(Also, the popcorn and Milk Duds.) Today you see wide-screen formats in almost all new laptops, televisions, and computer monitors. The move to wide-screen format is in full swing. If you think about the human field of view, we have much greater peripheral view on the horizontal axis than on the vertical axis. In my opinion, it's a more natural way to take in an image.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Dave

If you take the two images in my last post as an example, the portrait image would either have thick black lines either side or would have to be animated to see it in full. I saw the cinemascope era begin back in the 50's & 60's with vista vision & the like but it was just another method of trying to get people into cinemas rather than watch TV. The modern TV screen is another pandering to that era to enable the films to be shown on TV. As I said previously I have a 16-9 TV which takes up a large lump of our lounge and dominates the room. I think it's just a matter of taste. My theory is the developemnt has come about by the modern cinema projection systems needing to be as close to the screen as possible, so to get bums on seats they made the cinema's wider.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Barry Barry

I know that, but sometimes it's unavoidable & I think preferable to two black sides to a picture. I was just illustrating my point that widescreen is not the be all and end all. As I've said before it would be a sad day if we all did things the same.

Eric

Yachtsman1

Regarding what is more natural and pleasing to the eye, you have to wonder why the industry of televisions and computer monitors are going to wide-screen formats. ........<snip>................ If you think about the human field of view, we have much greater peripheral view on the horizontal axis than on the vertical axis. In my opinion, it's a more natural way to take in an image.

I'm in total agreement with you Dave, it's the natural way we see the world.

We can lay in front of the steam-roller of progress if we want with the end result we will get flattened. rolleyes.gif