WnSoft Forums

New Slide Show

Hi Barry,

Was a bit confused on first viewing where this was going but all became clear at the end. Then had to go back and view it a couple more times to appreciate it. Yes a sweet A/V on an enchanting place, also a mysterious one as there is no epilogue to tell us more.

Eric, ignoring Barry's (newly found?) Aussie bluntness, I do think you are missing a lot by not upgrading

Barry - short and very sweet. I liked it; I liked the build up; I liked the music which added very much to the overall effect. Overall excellent and an inspiration. Wish I had your talent.

David P

Good stuff Barry,

Your control of the exposure using a slow shutter speed and still keeping detail in the waterfall is excellent.

Difficult scenes to capture.

Do you bracket your shots, or rely on the histogram?

Kieron

Kieron

I never rely on the histogram, I use it as a guide, but I find if you follow it blindly it can lead you away from the better exposure balance and picture. In this place (as you realized) in the darkest areas you can have 4-6 stops difference to the lightest parts, so you need to bracket exposures and use 2-3 of them. You will never get anything with just one exposure, latitude is too great. The other alternative is fill in flash, but I am not a lover of flash either. It kills most of the charm that attracts us in the first place. So, quite a bit of Photoshop work done on these images, especially the Arch ones.

Mickp

Yes I am being blunt with Eric, because he is being a stubborn old Yorkshireman who doesn't know how to admit when they have it wrong. If your Internet connection is so bad that you cannot download anything over 20Mb due to the fear of extra cost. then its time to either pull the plug on the internet completely or change service provider. I doubt there are any in the UK that are that bad anyway. Bandwidth is more of a problem here in Australia that it ever was in the UK. With Internet here there is limited bandwidth and slow internet, especially if you live a little out of the way. It reminds me of how the UK was 10+ years ago. Eric may think Yorkshire is isolated, but here they drive that far to get breakfast :P

David P

Thanks for the comments, but I am just an old retired transport manager, what I know about photography I learned mostly in the Camera Club, the same as everyone else.

Paul

Chester, I remember that. Wasn't that the place that when I turned up for a full days talk, there was nowhere to set up my gear. The place had all tierd seating. Someone found a board that we laid across the backs of the cinema seats and we found milk crates to prop it up. It was not the most comfortable day I spent at the computer, but we made it in the end.

Eric

Let me try another tack. Come on, you obviously enjoy AV, so why shut yourself off to some of the best stuff you will see. Most people are now using widescreen and that is always going to take you over your self imposed limit. Take another look at your ISP as I am sure your worrying about something that is unlikely to happen.

Pretty Good! A bit Barry-esque ;)

The music and photos seemed inappropriately somber to me. Out of darkness and into darkness. I wondered if you were attempting but not quite capturing some Australian-spirit kind of thing. On the other hand it isn't romantic or warm or artsy or tree-hugger-nature, it's something else. Maybe its Photoshop. Maybe its Australia--I haven't been there. Yet.

I watched it twice. I was annoyed at no keyboard control.

I'd love to know more about the place. At least the name so I could Google it.

The clouds moving and otherwise work. The rock colors are great. I don't know how much PS you did, but the photos had to be very hard to get and you did well. The brightness of the water in the dark settings is striking. You have a knack for transitions that really work, both the smoothness, softness, and the placement of photos that merge into and from each other.

Judy

Try this for info

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/galleries/Natural%20Arch/index.html

The Rainforests are almost impossible to convey to anyone in the UK who hasn't experienced them. They are nothing like to forests we are used to in Britain. Its probably one of those love or hate places, but whatever or however it is portrayed, you will not please all the people all of the time.

No keyboard control ;)

I have said this before, but your missing the point. Audio Visual is a mix of sound and images, where we try and add our charm and appeal via 30% sound and 30% music. When we get it right we may achieve much more than the 60% that the two would naturally add up to. A show containing just 16 images is meant to be seen as a whole. Audio Visual is a piece of work in total, not stopped and started. If thats the case, dump PTE, you don't need it. If you want to study pictures,go the gallery above.

Barry -

Great visual journey, though short. Excellent choice of music which created an anxious felling of where the images were going to take me. PTE use at its best.

Well done. ;)

Re, the Yachtsman, I believe he's just stubborn. The rest of us realize that he's the one losing out.

Greg

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry

Well you hooked the fish with your second cast (17mb), however if I was the fisherman I wouldn't keep the catch. I liked the music & animated clouds, but would have liked more of the waterfall zoom out & the transition to the main waterfall pic was too abrupt. IMHO you have put together a few pictures you didn't know what to do with, and without an explanation. So in my view it's a slide show with animation and music, not AV. Maybe you have lost your Mojo? ;)

Yachtsman1.

Maybe it looks better on a large monitor, the combination of my 5-4 & 19inch version reduces the picture area too much.

PS why post the 26MB first when you knew I wouldn't download it.

Bootzilla, yes I am stubborn, but I call it resolute or just poor.

PS why post the 26MB first when you knew I wouldn't download it.

1. A strange as it seems, you were not uppermost in my mind as I put the slide show together.

2. The first run used PTE sound where the entire sound file is stored in the exe, even though only a small amount was used. The second run via Audacity reduced the size, but retained all else

3. You were unlikely to like it anyway, because you have taken a dislike to me, you make that plain enough.

4. Your a stubborn old whatsit, but leave off with the poor bit, I don't think anyone is buying that nonsense.

Perhaps I will have better luck next time, but in the meantime I will have to live with your disappointment :P or make the next show 21MB

I am just an old retired transport manager

Barry, you may be just an old retired transport manager, but you manage to transport us into wondrous kingdoms with your shows.