WnSoft Forums

Canada and Alaska 2011

Almark

Some of you will be aware of my style of slide show, so you know what to expect ;-)

Nothing fancy! Just 4 mins of fades designed to show off my travel photography. Mainly landscapes but also some wildlife; foraging bears, breaching whales and a bald eagle. Locations include: (Canada) Bannf (Sulphur Mountain, Bow river and falls), Lake Louise (frozen), Athabasca Falls, Columbia Ice field, Mildred Lake Jasper, Rocky Mountaineer; (Alaska) Tracy Arm Fjord, Glacier Bay National Park. The bears were in Canada, Yukon near Emerald Lake.

The intended audience is family and friends, and folk at my camera club. This is the first draft, and I am quite happy with it. However; as always, all feedback, tips, suggestions and general comments are most welcome. (It was only after I had finished it that I remembered that I should have used 16:10 rather than 16:9, but maybe the second version...)

PC version link

Mac zip version link

downloads moved to mediafire as my bandwidth was too high...

Well done - beautiful country and beautiful photos. I like the fact that you used a tiny slow zoom with just enough sharpness to give the water in many frames the illusion of motion due to shimmer - it looks realistic as a still video might have looked.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mark,

Yes, I too was going to comment on the "Nothing Fancy" bit. Very subtle but very effective. It also brought back memories of our trip by car through the Canadian Rockies. Did you get to Spirit Island? I would love to see you take on that.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Some of you will be aware of my style of slide show, so you know what to expect ;-)

Nothing fancy! Just 4 mins of fades designed to show off my travel photography. Mainly landscapes but also some wildlife; foraging bears, breaching whales and a bald eagle. Locations include: (Canada) Bannf (Sulphur Mountain, Bow river and falls), Lake Louise (frozen), Athabasca Falls, Columbia Ice field, Mildred Lake Jasper, Rocky Mountaineer; (Alaska) Tracy Arm Fjord, Glacier Bay National Park. The bears were in Canada, Yukon near Emerald Lake.

The intended audience is family and friends, and folk at my camera club. This is the first draft, and I am quite happy with it. However; as always, all feedback, tips, suggestions and general comments are most welcome. (It was only after I had finished it that I remembered that I should have used 16:10 rather than 16:9, but maybe the second version...)

PC version link

Mac zip version link

Mark - As you will know, this is also my preferred type of show. I, too, thought the very slow zooms suited the subject and along with the music gave a very peaceful feel to the a/v. Looks like you chose a good time to visit - not so busy! We did a similar self-drive trip prior to the Alaska cruise some 6 years ago but didn't see as much wildlife. You were lucky catching the whale.

Maureen

Hi,

I really enjoyed that mini-trip!

My daughter spent a month in Banff early last year and loved it so much she is hoping to return there for another month, later this year. I've sent her your AV link with a 'Look at this!' note attached.

Thanks for posting it.

Sheila G.

Mick, Spirit Island is surrounded by a frozen lake at the time I visited. So no boat trips.

Mick, Maureen, it seems that the slow fades and subtle pans and zooms can still told the attention.

Jan, this was not in my back yard, I'm from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I have been to Canada before, but never Alaska. I hope to return to both, God willing.

BTW the whale just appeared, we were not on a whale watching tour, it was a trip up the Tracy Arm Fjord to see the Sawyer Glaciers. On the way back to Skagway this whale seemed intent on putting on a performance, with tail splashes, fin slaps and of course breaching. The guide gave detailed reasons as to why the scientists think they do these manoeuvres, but finished with, "but I think they are just having fun". It certainly looked like it to me ;-)

Thank you all for your feedback.

Mark,

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your show. I did a good bit of the same trip last summer. The bears are so difficult to capture because (aside from the obvious of getting close enough from a safe position), there is often such great contrast. I did a couple of whale excursions and got a few tails and one good breech. Here is the link to a blog I did: http://www.mhwarner.com/alaska/index.htm. Although I ultimately put together a show for friends and family (2 of them actually), they were much too large to post. Anyway, thanks for sharing your show.