WnSoft Forums

StudioDV 8 won't encode PTE file

Danabw

Finally able to try the new AVI feature...and it ain't working for me! :o

Trying to use PTE AVI file to create DVD in Studio8 DVD, version 8.10.40, PTE versions 4.20 beta 2 and 2a.

Create the AVI using the DVD Video disc option, NTSC, interlaced.

Pull AVI into studio, place on timeline, go to make movie tab and set to create DVD and click Create Disc.

Studio reports that it can't encode the file because it has a non-standard video frame rate. Also tried setting frame rate to 29 and same message.

What's up - anyone else using Studio successfully?

Dana

Actually Dana, I've been anxiously waiting for you to do it with Studio 8 - so you could teach me how. I really don't know Studio 8, but when I tried it to produce a PTE SVCD, I received the same messages you found for making a real DVD. But I have confidence that you will figure out how to do it with Studio 8. (Other members have made SVCD using Pinnacle's expression. I have not tried that as I thought Studio 8 was the more likely choice.)

I get the same error.

The only time I was able to use Pinnacle is when I used TMpegEnc

and I convert the avi file first. But, I had us use Mpeg1. I wish

I had my 30 day trial back.

I am able to use Easy CD Creator 6. But I would like to use Pinnacle.

I just feel I have more control over the DVD.

Hopefull in the end we will be able to use Pinnacle too.

cc

Please try v4.20 beta #2a:

http://www.wnsoft.com/beta/apr420b2a.zip

Really we've fixed our bug and earlier some video editors didn't accept produced AVI file. E.g. Ulead MediaStudio shown too short length of the show. Now it is fixed.

(Please unpack it and put apr.exe file into folder where you have installed copy of PicturesToExe)

I still get the same error -

"The selected clip has non-standard Video Frame Rate Thus Cannot be encoded to MPEG"

I can open the video in Studio 8

- edit the clip

- watch it.

everything seems to work normal until I try to finish a project.

when I try to make any file it will give me the error.

I am using window XP and using the "PictureToExe Video Codec"

I have also tried "Microsoft Video1" with the same results.

cc

I have been following the recent posts about running PTE shows on a TV set. It seems there is a lot of experimental activity in process with several software packages to make it work. When it settles down to the procedure for the AVI to TV process work as expected, I would like to see a short tutorial on what to do with what software, cables , connections to TV, codecs, etc. For the moment, I'll just watch the forum commentary with interest.

Bill

Sorry, I didn't understand the problem earlier.

We need to correct frame rate for NTSC. I'll set 29.97 (you can't set it in current beta) and it will work.

I think to fix it tomorrow.

Thanks, Igor. I tried to do that manually late last night and found that it wasn't possible. I believe that will fix the problem!

Looking forward to the update. I have a whole slew of PTE shows that I'm going to convert and put onto one DVD w/an organizing menu. This will be cool... B)

Dana

Oh, the pressure!! :)

I pulled an AVI from PTE into Expression, and the DVD create failed during encoding at about 51%. Don't remember the error message, but at least the encoding started...

Ray - are you listening? Have you given Studio 8 a go yet?

Dana

Sure Dana.....pass the buck will you? :o

Sorry, the home office is still a mess. The remodeling is taking longer than I thought (not to mention the "honey-do" list). Should be up and running soon as I'm dying to get my feet wet with this new feature. I'll let everyone know what works and what doesn't......I promise. ;)

Ray :rolleyes:

Well I tried the Beta 3. and Studio will convert the file. But It has a lot of Flickering going on.

I made a little 30 sec low quality MPG to show you what it does. I tried turning off the fade

between pictures. But this did not help.

It does work if I use the uncompressed video codec when I create the avi file.

If I watch the video before I start creating it plays fine. But When it starts Converting you

can see it Flicker on the screen.

cc

I'll add my experience last night with Studio 8.

The flickering was much more pronounced than I could see in cc's included example. The 2 minute PTE file took over an hour to encode and the playback looked more like a strobe light with the entire screen flashing rapidly. Each photo seemed to appear smooth from the transition, but would immediately commence the strobe effect.

Yes, I've explored this effect. For some reason, Pinnacle Studio requests 1st frame during 150 ms. every 20-30 frames and it visually calls flickering.

We'll try to fix it very soon.

Igor,

As an FYI, I have also noticed the flickering problem when creating DVD using TMPGenc. The effect is that the pixels on the pictures move around rather than being solid throughout the entire show..

Ray :unsure:

Danabw,

I realize this doesn't fix the problem of getting a PTE .avi file to work correctly in Studio 8, but as a long-time user of Studio 8, I'm not sure why you want to go through PTE before going into Studio 8.

If you start by going only into Studio 8, you can put all of your photos in on the video track, change the duration of each picture to your liking, add music/audio on the music track, and add titles and transitions all within Studio 8 for burning your .avi file.

I don't know if that helps or not. I'll be glad to help with Studio 8 questions, if you need.

Good luck!

Rick

Rick,

I do agree with you that Studio 8 does a good job of creating a Video.

but my first choice is the EXE file. It is a much smaller file and the quality

is much better and it a lot quicker to compile. I spend a lot of time putting

a slideshow together in PTE. I would hate to have to recreate it just to

make a few DVD's for a family member that do not have computers.

It will be so nice to just click on the AVI button and then have Studio 8

start encoding the DVD.

I like Pinnacle and what I can do with it. But the quality is not as good as the EXE file

that PTE makes. So I will always start my slideshows with PTE and use Pinnacle

just to create my DVD's.

But, If I do have any questions about Studio I may send you a note in the future.

I hope the offer was open to all

chuck

Chuck,

The offer is definitely open to all. I wrote a long "How to" e-mail response back to LumenLux when asked.

I will say that you've got an incredible eye. On a TV screen, I can't tell any difference in quality between a PTE slideshow and a Studio 8 slideshow, let alone a great difference as you suggest. If you can actually see any difference on a TV screen (not on the PC screen), then I agree that you've got an excellent point.

Do you have the DVD burning software that came with your DVD burner? Have you tried it? I actually do all my DVD creation in Studio 8, but I burn using Nero.

Good luck!

Rick

Thank you Igor for the .dll fix. I have tried it so far with Pinnacle Studio 8 on XP system. The result on DVD is much, much better than previously. Almost all the flicker is gone. There seems now to be just a tiny bit of shake of the whole screen at once. Even that shake might not be noticed in many cases. The test I used had PTE set to use 90% of screen. On the TV, this leaves a dark border around the picture and that exposed edge of photo may make the "shake" more visable.

In a separate or related (?) issue:

On the TV screen, with border showing, the sides of the photos are not straight along the vertical sides. Some are badly curved or scupltured. I would think that is partially a tv problem except not all the photos have the same shape problem and some are worse than others. Do you know why this is? Can it be solved without covering the whole tv screen and thereby possibly losing some of the photo edge area?

In a separate or related (?) issue:

Robert, when i send a video signal to my avermedia coversion box to the vcr's to make a vhs tape, i get a squiggle on the right side if there is a vertical border -- i have to either make the images bigger or adj image size to the vcr with the avermedia box settings -- i think it is caused by a "weak video" signal and/or some rf interference.

I ran a svcd test for another member and his pictures were not big enough to fill the tv screen and there was some wiggling apparent -- bottom line, i think you will have to experiment to get the right picture size when you are first putting your show together and/or get rid of borders -- this avi feature has opened up a whole new outlook on show preparation

ken

Ray - are you listening? Have you given Studio 8 a go yet?

Dana

Dana,

I read this before but just noticed the direct question to me. I haven't tried Studio 8. If someone could post a link to the trial download I'll give it a try and report back.

Ray

Oops... should have read all the posts first... you were asking a different Ray and not me! Ah well, I'd

still be willing to give Studio 8 a try!

Ray (#2)

• 2 weeks later...
Danabw,

I realize this doesn't fix the problem of getting a PTE .avi file to work correctly in Studio 8, but as a long-time user of Studio 8, I'm not sure why you want to go through PTE before going into Studio 8.

If you start by going only into Studio 8, you can put all of your photos in on the video track, change the duration of each picture to your liking, add music/audio on the music track, and add titles and transitions all within Studio 8 for burning your .avi file.

I don't know if that helps or not. I'll be glad to help with Studio 8 questions, if you need.

Good luck!

Rick

Hey, Rick. Just noticed your message. Sorry for not replying earlier. Thanks for the suggestion - and in some cases I have been doing just that over the past year or two.

I've actually been using Studio to make DVD slideshows for quite some time. But it isn't very satisfactory for that purpose - you can't adjust the timing of a group of still images after they have been placed on the timeline (image display time must be adjusted individually once they are on the timeline), and there's no "fit to music" feature. I could use the Smart Sounds to fit the music to the slides but that doesn't offer the creative options I want for music. I did make a pretty impressive (to me!) :) slideshow DVD w/five separate shows accessed from a two level menu using Studio 8, but the process wasn't pleasant overall. Now-a-days I would quickly create the five music sync'd shows in PTE, create AVIs and pull them into Studio, build a couple of menus and "Bling-bling" - all done! B)

I also use the Pinnacle's Expression software for DVD slideshows, and while it has a better design for working w/large numbers of individual images, it has other limitations that frustrate me a bit, including the inability to add multiple songs (have to paste them together into one MP3 outside Expression), less flexibility w/menus, etc.

So PTE and Pinnacle Studio are really a great combination for me - all the cool slideshow handling and features of PTE, and the flexibility and power of Studio to arrange shows, create menus, add effects, etc. I'm sure that Ulead's product is great, but I have a lot of time and experience invested in Studio, it works well for me, and I really love the interface.

Happy DVD-ing.

Dana