WnSoft Forums

Fade from black

Igor

I am sure I am not the only one to have noticed this, but on flat screen monitors a fade up from black can display some odd things on screen. I am not sure what to call the effect, but its not very attractive. I think its on par with the moire effect. It seems to be worse fading up onto a monochrome image.

Is there anything that can be done about that. I have tried moving away from black to a dark charcoal colour and adding noise, but I would rather stay with black.

Barry,

What exact name of your LCD display?

Some LCD displays allow turn off "overdrive" of pixels and remove this visual defects. This option has different names in commercial displays.

P.S. Compare playback of this slideshow on different display (better if you can find IPS, PVA or MVA display).

P.P.S. My new almost noiseless computer suddenly revealed a whine sound. It sounds almost as ultrasound. I discovered that it is a common problem of all computers based on Intel Core i5/i7 on 1155 socket. The solution was to turn off "C3/C6" option in settings of BIOS of this computer. Just ONE software option removes unpleasant sound! Of course, it's a fault of system boards makers. But we have solutions.

Igor

I am using a Dell 2709W monitor, but I just tried something I had not done before and tried the same slide show on my wife's PC with the same monitor (Dell 2709W ) and the slide show plays without that distortion. dry.gif (the PC spec and op system is different on her PC and its 32bit)

I then tried the slide show on my other Dell monitor, a later model attached to an older PC and the slide show plays fine there too. I had wrongly assumed that the distortion was a feature of flat screen monitors. I cannot find any settings on the Nvidia card on my machine to affect the distortion. My PC is the only one of the three that is 64 bit.

Where does one find this turn off of overdrive pixels?

The refreshrate is 59hertz, but other settings available don't change the distortion.

For those interested the show is posted here http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/slideshows_3.html

Its called Beautiful Dawn. I went back to a black starting image despite the distortion

Barry,

I am using a Dell 2709W monitor, but I just tried something I had not done before and tried the same slide show on my wife's PC with the same monitor (Dell 2709W ) and the slide show plays without that distortion.

I would further your tests by using your wifes Dell 2709W monitor hooked up to your PC and vise-versa. It will atleast verify if the monitor itself is not the issue.

Igor

Yes I have thought about that, but it is such a pain in the but to do it. I have all my wiring neatly in troughs up under the bench so everything is very tidy, but of course swapping things over can be a pain. Both of the Monitors are connected by DVI, the troublesom one is W7 64 bit the other is Vista Pro 32bit.

I will get around to swapping them over as soon as possible and will report back what I find.

Guest Yachtsman1

Don't see any problems on my Hanns.G HH191 monitor. Barry, what is the refresh rate on yours, is it 5Ms or below?

Yachtsman1.

Just realised I said the wrong word, should be response not refresh. Senior moment.

Yachtsman1 :unsure: