WnSoft Forums

Push PTE

fromatoz

Hi Igor:

Please push PTE one big step further and add the following features to make PTE a more easy-to-use all-in-one-software:

- Thumbnail view (dark-table, which allows to visually change the slide order)

- Batch rename feature

- Text edit view (which allows to edit text easily, as I pointed out in another thread - with no feedback; very useful for people who work with pics AND text!)

- Import of avi- and swf-Files (in Japan this sort of slideshow, mixed with moving parts, is called "photocinema")

- Proper display of special characters on ALL Win-Systems (East Asian ones included)

- Because such improvements means a lot of work: why not double the price of PTE or ask for a fee when releasing bigger upgrades

Thanks to some very active members of this forum, there are lots of utilitys and add-ons around, but some of them are rather difficult to use (sorry to say that).

I think the "magic" of a software lies not only in the richness of functions (like the AVI export, which is really great) but also in the most SIMPLE & ELEGANT handling of basic functions.

Thanks for listening.

Tom

I think the "magic" of a software lies not only in the richness of functions

I think you are right for this opinion, although to have magic some functions are needed nevertheless...

like the AVI export

The ouput .AVI and DVD is really great and I love it: it's a very nice spectacle on a TV !

And Igor is the first to propose an output with this quality for the slide shows (wtih all transition effects on a DVD).

If PTE wants to remain the best and the first in this domain, it's necessary in my opinion.

This function, not rich, must form of it integral part for the future compared to competition with other softwares.

Thanks, Tom, for your suggestions!

- Yes, we have plans concerning adding of thumbnail view (as alternative) to the next versions. I even have some code written earlier for this. But it's very important and difficult area for changes and I often think about this feature.

- "Batch rename feature" and "Text edit view". Good idea for the next version.

- AVI or SWF animation as objects on a slide. I think it's not suitable, because it won't work on any PC. Playback of AVI requires to have installed

video codec which was used for created AVI file. SWF animatation will require incorporation of player module which may take 300-800 KB!

- PTE presentations display textes on any languages, including Easterns. As interface work in main windows of PTE. But this language should be installed as main in Windows. So users in China or Norway can view textes each on their languages. But user from China won't see text on Norwegian, and user from Norway will not able to read text on Chinese. Advanced support for even using of combination of text on different langauges (Unicode) is not supported in PTE, yet.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the reply!

Thumbs / light table view and text editing view: I am looking forward to it. Cool. :)

AVI or SWF animation as objects on a slide. I think it's not suitable, because it won't work on any PC. Playback of AVI requires to have installed video codec which was used for created AVI file. SWF animatation will require incorporation of player module which may take 300-800 KB!

- I thougt it would be pretty nice to have the possibility to throw any kind of picture files, SWF animation and short video scenes (captured from a DV video cam) together, for example to have a few slides first, then a video clip, then some slides again or a video clip or SWF animation as part of a slide and so on ...

- And if it was possible to enhance the object editor so that one can rotate picture and text objects (or all objects) ...

In my opinion and for my needs that would be the ultimate thing!

Thank you.

Igor wrote:

SWF animatation will require incorporation of player module which may take 300-800 KB!

I forgot to ask in my earlier posting: Why should that be a problem? I do not understand at all.

And another question: Is it possible to have one or several pte-shows running in a pte-show? For example, I'd like to set up a "main-show" with only 1 slide, while several "sub-shows" are running simultaneously as parts / objects of the "main-show".

I think, the object editor is a magic tool with a huge potential for creativity ...

Fromatoz:

You are right the OBJECT editor is a great tool.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "sub-shows" are running simultaneously as parts / objects of the "main-show".

But here are some examples of what I have done using the OBJECT editor that worked VERY well:

- I have a number of one image shows that "launch" other shows via OBJECTS on the one image. I use an image from the show to be launched as an "icon" to click on

- I also just completed a PTE presentation that uses 106 PTE slide shows that launch (via OBJECTS) from either the "first page" or from various pages within the shows. So there are shows running inside slide shows at times. Is this perhaps what you meant as "simultaneously" ?

There was a show on Beechbrook several months ago that used Objects extensively. The JUKEBOX, I doubt if it is available there anymore.

Maybe someone will be able to direct you to where it is available.

I understand Igor's concern here

SWF animatation will require incorporation of player module which may take 300-800 KB!

Igor tries his best to maintain small executable size and provide best of quality and options ... for all PCs to enjoy.

Implementing SWF will limit alot of PC users. Also requiring Flash runtime to be installed on the users PC ... and to have Flash needs certain version of IE installed. Then you want the Flash installed silently so as not to disrupt the Show. However its not a wise practice to install something without users permission ( I dont think Flash allows use without permission). . Thats just the beginning ... we havent even addressed the contols we would want over SWF used in PTE.

I personally enjoy PTE as a Slide Show ... and not as a multimedia player and viewer that will be limited to specific PC requirements ... then all these files become so huge and demanding and ontop we want them to play from CD... which is creating more min requirements to many users.

Just my opinion :lol:

Hi Jim,

thank you for your reply!

I might be wrong but it seems that in your shows one has to manually click on "Icons" or whatever to start a different show.

But I am thinking of the following. It's like watching four movies at the same time: one in the upper left, the 2nd in the upper right, the 3rd in the lower left, the 4th in the lower right corner.

So, if I start the main show, the four embedded sub shows are launched automatically and are all visible, as described above, until they are finished.

I hope it's more clear now. Would be nice to have such a feature in the object editor. :rolleyes:

Tom

PS: Thanks, Boxig. Just saw your posting while writing mine. I will check out the FlashMe utility.

Tom:

Yes, you are correct, you have manually click on the Object to start the show.

I understand what you are after now, the screen divided and running separate shows. I don't have a use for that (that I can think of now ;) ) but others might like the feature.

Stu:

Re your posting: (I still can't work the quote feature properly)

"I personally enjoy PTE as a Slide Show ... and not as a multimedia player and viewer that will be limited to specific PC requirements ... then all these files become so huge and demanding and ontop we want them to play from CD... which is creating more min requirements to many users. "

I fully agree with you !!

I would like PTE to continue evolving, but as a more sophisticated slide show, not as a media player.

But I am sure there are others who would like a more grandiose application.

Hi JRR

You said "I would like PTE to continue evolving, but as a more sophisticated slide show, not as a media player."

You are totally and utterly correct. Over the past 2 years or so I have seen many excellent shows on Beechbrook using various versions of PTE in its simplest and purest of forms.

The beauty of a good slide show is in its simplicity and use of simple rules (from the days when we only had projectors to work with and in my case years ago simple mechanical blades controlled by a brake cable from a bicycle!) PTE developed into a sophiscated and excellent example of this principle. If we go much beyond this principle then we will have an oversized (PTE still fits on a floppy) piece of bloat ware that may appeal to many but lose its original ethos.

I am not against progress but the point PTE has reached now I feel offers the majority of us the best of all worlds and just needs to be rounded out and not over developed.

If Igor wants I am sure he can split his programming skills into two products ( Igor you can increase your revenue here). 1, the original PTE with improved facilities and 2 a more multimedia type program for those who require that type of product.

Ok Guys what do we think?

Mike

Mersea Island

Probably I am on the wrong train here :huh:

I agree with Jim and nobeefstu, PTE is a nice slideshow tool, but it could be much more.

I fully understand people who want PTE to be "light", but for my purpose I would prefere it much more flexible (the object editor as the key tool), more open towards something I called "photocinema" in another thread.

PTE is surely one of the best slideshow apps. But as far as I can see, there exists no single application which is basically a slideshow app, but with advanced abilities like accepting movie clips, flash-files (I have absolutely no problems having a flash player installed as part of PTE) and doing things like originally being discussed in this thread.

This brings me, as Mike suggests, to another Idea (for Igor): Why not develop two versions of PTE? "PTE light" for those who want the basics, and "PTE full" for those who want more.

To Mike:

The beauty of a good slide show is in its simplicity and use of simple rules

I think we should not discuss about what is a good slideshow or not. It makes no sense at all because people have different ideas of aestetics.

If we go much beyond this principle then we will have an oversized (PTE still fits on a floppy) piece of bloat ware that may appeal to many but lose its original ethos.

Are you joking? Losing it's "original ethos"? If this is the way you prefer to argue, then I definitely got on the wrong train. :angry:

I think the Flash integration would be a Really Good Thing! I was VERY IMPRESSED by the work done by our users in integrating Flash into the current version of PTE -- and I think that this just point sout that Flash support should be integrated into PTE itself. This would be very high on my wish list.

As to whether the size of the PTE play module increased, let it increase only if the user asks for that feature!

I think this would be a TREMENDOUS enhancement to PTE unless you plan on building a lot of Flash's text effects and movement effects into PTE itself.

Harold

Hi FromAtoZ

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression but I was quite clear in my suggestion. It is not a question of “wrong train” but rather one of “different trains”.

At the end I made the suggestion that Igor could develop 2 different programs one along the line of the traditionalists and another tailored to those who want more along the lines of present day modern MULTIMEDIA.

Next you state you agree with nobeefstu. QUOTE

“I agree with Jim and nobeefstu, PTE is a nice slideshow tool, but it could be much more.” (Excellent would be a better choice of word than nice).

Nobeefstu actually says QUOTE (see his contribution a few further up in the thread)

“I personally enjoy PTE as a Slide Show ... and not as a multimedia player and viewer that will be limited to specific PC requirements ... then all these files become so huge and demanding and ontop we want them to play from CD... which is creating more min requirements to many users.”

I do believe my contribution agreed with those exact thoughts as also expressed by JRR whose quote from nobeefstu attracted my attention.

I agree that we all have different ideas about slideshows but I was not discussing what is a good slideshow or not, but the elements which go to make up a good slideshow regardless of its aesthetics.

Regarding ‘joking ? losing its original ethos’ No I was not! I was not arguing but agreeing again with nobeefstu and Igor. QUOTE

“Igor tries his best to maintain small executable size and provide best of quality and options ... for all PCs to enjoy.”

I do believe that Igor has achieved all this and more. In over 30 years of making ‘Slideshows’ I have taken my shows to many, many places but Igor’s programming skills have allowed my shows to be shown all over the world to a far greater audience than I could ever reach personally.

In conclusion this is because as nobeefstu says, “for all PCs to enjoy” the rest is due to Igor and all the people on this forum and their input.

In my humble opinion

Mike

Mersea Island

PTE has likely provided more satisfaction to me than any other software I have ever used. Part of that satisfaction has come from the paths carefully chosen by Igor from the many flurries of ideas that have from time to time come from this forum. On the other hand - if Igor chose to implement every idea that is ever proposed, he would by now be competing with not only other slide show programs, but also with Oracle, Word, Quicken and MTV!

Not to detract from anyone's input of what they feel is important, today, I would just like to express gratitude for this great product, thank Igor, and thank the rest of you for sharing many constructive thoughts on many subjects.

Merry Christmas to everyone! :)

Probably the one feature of this forum I would enjoy more of, would be discussion of the actual shows - beyond the tech and mechanical. Of course I am sure Igot could build a feature into PTE for feedback from the viewer. In fact this could be great survey software which could be implemented at exit polls at elections around the world. ;)

Ok, letfs come back to the main point.

I made a few suggestions regarding additional features in the object editor (object rotation, allow flash, avi and pte-show objects as parts of a slide, and you guys turn these ideas down with a chorus of praise for Igor (what he deserves without doubt) and concerns such as: fit on a floppy, PC requirement, ethos, factors which make a good slideshow (gsimplicityh, guse of simple rulesh), long time experience and so on. - None of them I find convincing.

Fit on a floppy:

Why does PTE have to fit on a single floppy? Donft you all have your CD burners? And if not, you can still split PTE and copy it to 2 or 3 floppys.

PC requirement:

Even if PTE became a middle sized 5 MB application, it should run without any problems on Win95. And many of you probably have photo editing software installed which is bigger in size than PTE anyway.

Please keep in mind that there are many ways of using a slideshow app like PTE, and they might be fairly different from what is usually published to beechbrook. I came up with some ideas regarding the object editor, which, I think, are not so bad, but many of you obviously do no like it. No problem. You guys can do your shows the way you always did.

PTE has still a huge potential without having to compete with PowerPoint or similar large scale presentation apps. But if most of this forumfs core members and, of course, the PTE programmer himself prefer to stick to the very traditional kind of slideshow creation, PTE will unlikely going to unfold its potential.

Too bad for PTE.

fromatoz

Are you looking at this from a commercial point of view? Your profile is empty

Ron [uK]

Please keep in mind that there are many ways of using a slideshow app like PTE, and they might be fairly different from what is usually published to beechbrook. I came up with some ideas regarding the object editor, which, I think, are not so bad, but many of you obviously do no like it. No problem. You guys can do your shows the way you always did.

I agree totally with this. And I hope, fromatoz, you realize your ideas are indeed welcome. Keep up the good work and sharing. Thats what makes this forum very worthwhile. I for one am always interested in seeing what others are doing and hearing what they would like to do.

LumenLux -

Thank you. :)

Ron -

No, I am using PTE mainly as a teaching tool for my university seminars on German literature, culture and language.

Ever thougt of an interactive quiz made with PTE, using photos, video clips, sound and text? That's why I am asking for those special object editor features as well as for a text editing view.

If the object editor was more powerful and flexible, PTE would be the perfect tool for my purpose. Or has anybody a better idea?

Fromatoz

Thanks. Now I am with you and can foresee the advantages of what is being put forward in this thread.

Ron [uK]

Hi All

Its definetly Horses for Courses here. I, like lots of other members on the forum use different programs for their different facilities. Multimedia builder is excellent for making interactive type presentations. I think PTE is excellent for slide presentations.

Hi Lumenlux

As ever you get straight to the point. It would be good if we did discuss other than just technical matters as we seem to have been doing a lot just lately.

:)

Mike

Mersea Island

Harold,

Welcome back - haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you haven't been ill.

Just wanted to say that I agree with your post:

I think the Flash integration would be a Really Good Thing!

When I first started using PTE, I tended to be more of a "purist" like Mike and some of the other members, probably because I was used to being limited by conventional analogue AV technology. But even with multi-projector creations I was amazed by what the professionals were accomplishing in animated and more sophisticated titles than I seemed able to do with my simpler setup.

I think the use of animated technology can be overdone, but for someone doing professional AV's, and also for some hobbyists like myself, the incorporation of "Flash", similar to what Granot has done in his "FlashMe" utility, would be very useful, and would add a whole new dimension to what we know as "slide shows".

Hi

Just to add my bit.

Flash would be good, but something simpler like animated GIFs would do almost as well for animated titles.

It would make me very happy (but it doesn't take much) :lol:

Sophisticated titles do lend an air of professionalism. :P