WnSoft Forums

Fit To Screen or Cover Screen?

davegee

Fit To Screen or Cover Screen Or Project Option  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Common Tab Mode setting be moved to Project Options where it could be user selectable for the duration of a project or until changed?

Please participate.

A poll is only valid if everyone takes part.

DG

===========================

Actually, I can not vote for either. I don't use 'Cover Screen' for a couple reasons. First, you have no control. The 'Cover Screen' function fills the image window to remove the left and right black strips and that is what you are stuck with. You can't choose a more or less result. And, if you have portrait images, it does the same to them, which really makes no sense.

I would remove both, Cover Screen and Fit to Screen, from the menus and put the % of the slide to show main images in Project Options. This would give you the choice to choose the exact % increase (or decrease) in size for your images and the ability to make adjustments by just changing the percentage. This probably isn't what you wanted but this is how I see it.

Sincerely,

Gary

Please participate. A poll is only valid if everyone takes part ...

Sorry, but I have doubts that this poll has any value at all. So, I do not take part in this poll. The mode (Fit or Cover) is to be regarded as an attribute of a particular object, and not as an option for the whole project. Inside a slide I want to decide for each and every object which mode it should have. I would be fine to have a project option for the default value of the object mode. But the final choice (Fit or Cover) has to remain with the objects.

We should not disimprove PTE :ph34r:

Regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

I think that that is what Dave intends. A "global" setting that can then be changed on an object-by-object basis. There are other settings that would benefit from a simple and consistent "global vs individual" approach but I do not want to hijack this topic.

Xaver,

This Poll was driven, in part, by this thread:

http://www.picturest...ow-main-images/

and if you read this post:

http://www.picturest...dpost__p__93383

you'll see that I'm ambivalent about the result even though I voted Yes. Judging by the number of replies this ambivalence applies to most of the current forum membership.

Let me offer you a scenario where being able to Globally set "Cover Slide" is an advantage.

Let's imagine that I have just got back from a Horse Fair/Carnival with 500 plus RAW images out of my Nikon DSLR which I want to quickly turn into an MPEG4 to show on my TV. I could Batch Convert the NEF files to 1920 wide JPEGs in NX2. I could open a 1920x1080 PTE Template which has all of my favourite settings for KFSD, Mode etc and frame line around images and insert all 500 JPEGs in one action and create my MPEG4 with no further adjustments necessary. Some of those 500 would need (up or down) adjustment (at a later time) but for the purpose of a quick show of the images on a WS TV that's all I would need.

If I were happy to accept black lines at the sides I could see the whole image by using the current default of "Fit To Slide" but some family members continually ask "Why have you got those black lines?"

The same thing applies to those few die-hards who cling on to their 1024x768 or 1280x1024 monitors - making 3:2 images fit the AR of their monitors QUICKLY is an advantage sometimes.

Personally, I would like to see Igor add a new TAB to the Project Options - DEFAULTS. This could be used to set the default states of such things as KFSD and MODE so that even better TEMPLATES of favourite settings for various purposes could be created.

E & OE.

Best wishes,

DG

Please excuse my ignorance, dave, but what are the different effects of Fit to Screen and Cover?

I notice that my images saved at 1920x1080px do not actually fill my 1080p television, leaving black lines down each vertical edge. Why is this? Does 'Cover' resolve it?

Please excuse my ignorance, dave, but what are the different effects of Fit to Screen and Cover?

If you insert an image whose aspect ratio is different from the one of the screen you will see the difference:

Fit means: You see the whole image which does not cover the whole screen.

Cover means: You only see part of the image, but this part covers the whole screen.

Regards,

Xaver

Robert:

Example:

A 3:2 image in 16:9 TV screen is an aspect ratio mismatch and will produce black lines at each side.

Using Cover Screen will fit the image so that it fills the width of the screen - parts of the image will then be"lost" top and bottom and need adjustment by nudging upwards or downwards for best fit.

Using Fit to Screen fits all of the image with the black lines.

DG

Personally, I would like to see Igor add a new TAB to the Project Options - DEFAULTS. This could be used to set the default states of such things as KFSD and MODE so that even better TEMPLATES of favourite settings for various purposes could be created.

Dave,

I agree, a tab for defaults would be an advantage, although there might be some problems: What is to be done with existing slides or objects in a project when the default values will be changed?

My post from above (#3) refers to the question in the poll "Should the Common Tab Mode setting be moved to Project Options ..." which could imply a loss of functionality. As I said above: There must be local mode settings (Fit/Cover) for each individual object.

Best regards,

Xaver

...I'm ambivalent about the result even though I voted Yes...

I, too, am ambivalent about the result of the poll because I don't work in a way that would benefit from any change. I voted Yes on a point of principle.

If an Object can have an attribute set for it, that attribute should be settable as a "global" default that applies to all objects when first added; but the value should then be changeable at the individual object level. The analogy would be with Effects, where we can set a "global" value in Project Options but can pick a different value for an individual slide via Customize Slide. Anything which has the benefit of streamlining the production process without sacrificing the control at the detailed level has to be good for the user.

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

I notice that my images saved at 1920x1080px do not actually fill my 1080p television, leaving black lines down each vertical edge. Why is this? Does 'Cover' resolve it?

Hi Robert, what is the aspect ratio of your TV 16-9 or 16-10, are you referring to actual images or images sized via PTE EG 16-9?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric

The TV Aspect ratio is 16:9.

I size the images in Photshop to 1920x1080px, not in PTE.

Hi Robert,

Fitting 16:9 Images in a 16:9 project means that you will never see the Fit/Cover "problem".

Try inserting a 3:2 image into a 16:9 project and then change from FIT to COVER in COMMON TAB.

DG

Hi Eric

It is normal for me to fill in the screenshot exactly as you show - 16:9 Fullscreen.

Dave explains that I would never see the Fit/Cover issue as I always match the aspect ratio to how I want to display the images, whether projected or on TV.

If you tick the Fullscreen 16:9 aspect ratio, does it fill the screen on your TV?

Regards

Robert

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric

It is normal for me to fill in the screenshot exactly as you show - 16:9 Fullscreen.

Dave explains that I would never see the Fit/Cover issue as I always match the aspect ratio to how I want to display the images, whether projected or on TV.

If you tick the Fullscreen 16:9 aspect ratio, does it fill the screen on your TV?

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert

'fraid I can't answer that as I haven't yet made a 16-9 show, however, I am in the process of modifying a set of pictures taken back in 2008 of Fountains abbey. I will cut it short tomorrow, produce an exe file move it to my LT, connect with an HDMI lead & try it, it will be sometime tomorrow before I come back with the result. Checked my Panasonic HD TV again & the AR is 16-9, set on auto. I will try it set to fixed 16-9 for the purpose of the test.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

I have a sheet of plywood down my shed, which has a hole in the middle. I need to block that hole up to use the sheet of wood. The hole measures 8 inches by 4.5inches (16:9 format)

The good news is that I have a spare piece of plywood that is 8 inches by 5.3 inches (3:2) that I can use to plug the hole, but for the life of me, I can't make the second bit of wood fit the original hole correctly. I am baffled, can anyone help :rolleyes:

Hang on, the penny has just dropped, if I cut some of the wood off the edge of the spare bit, it fits. :lol:

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks, Eric, look forward to hearing the results. My TV is also a Panasonic 16:9.

Robert

Hi Robert.

Not good news for you I'm afraid, played the trial show with my pictures cropped to 16-9 then sized to 1920x1080 upwards. Shows full screen on my TV, no black bars. I have put the show on Mediafie, or will be shortly, & you can try it on your TV. Are you connecting to your TV and your PC with subD/VGA or HDMI, if HDMI have you pressed av on your remote & set HDMI 1 or 2, or if VGA set your TV to PC, set the aspect ratio on your remote to auto, finally are you sure you've cropped to 16-9??? The trial show link will be on my thread about moire/mipmapping.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Added later, the mediafire link is http://www.mediafire.com/?45vdt257p02vfr4

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks, Eric. I'm using HDMI link and all other points except Mediafire about which I know nothing. What is it?

Hi Robert, Mediafire is a free file hosting service where I've stored a short version of my widescreen show, click the link on the post above this one & download my file, the connect to your TV & check if you still have black bars either side.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Thanks, Eric.

I can report the problem as solved.

I had some offline correspondence with Dave. The problem related to my laptop settings, not the TV or PTE. I didn't realise it is possible to reconfigure an SD laptop to simulate Full HD images. Hopefully others who may have experienced this know how to sort it.

I'm happy to copy and paste Dave's comments if he is or he can do so.