WnSoft Forums

A problem with Windowed mode [RESOLVED]

fh1805

If I set up a project to have: Project Options > Screen > Mode > Windowed mode, and then set Size of slide/window to be 1280x720, the resultant exe file runs in a 1280x720 window, as I would have expected. If, however, I set Size of slide/window to be 1920x1080, the resultant exe file does not run in a 1920x1080 window. The window is less than 1920 across (there are parts of the desktop visible behind the window at either side) and the window is greater than 1080 high (neither the top or bottom borders are visible). My PC monitor is running at 1920x1080.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Using the 1920x1080 example:

The Window is being added around the outside of the 1920x1080 and the whole thing then fitted to the height of the screen.

Let's assume a 20 pixels border / frame / window.

That makes it 1960x1120.

The resulting AR is narrower than 16:9.

It has always been the same and I tackled Igor about some years ago.

It has the same implications as the thread regarding Borders.

DG

I assume you are both talking about this happening in 7.07??? If not & it's happening in 7.5? isn't this in the wrong section??? :unsure:

The reason I didn't post this under the v7.5 Beta section is because I am not using v7.5 Beta for this project. Had I been using v7.5 Beta for this project I would posted the topic under the v7.5 Beta section.

Peter

Peter,

Igor's solution to the Image Border "issue" is to go to "Adjust Image and Borders > Canvas" and reduce the overall image by 20 Pixels (for example) all round. Then go to Border Tab and add a 20 Pixel Border.

You can apply this solution to the "Window Mode" with a little experimentation.

Create a Custom Sized Project by reducing its resolution by x pixels equal to the number of pixels in the Window Mode Border. When the Window is then created it will bring it back to your Full Screen Window Mode that that you are trying to achieve.

My argument in the other thread is that it should be possible, by choosing an option of an "Inside" or "Outside" Border, to avoid having to crop before adding the Border / Window.

Both "issues" revolve around WHERE you add the Border / Window - Inside or Outside.

Outside distorts the AR.

Inside preserves the AR.

DG

It seems to me, that in the windowed mode we define the inner size of the window, excluding the border of the window provided by the operating system. Thus, in cases where we have this border, the overall window is larger than specified in PTE (inner size plus size of the border). On the other hand, it seems that the overall window can never be larger than the screen. So, in cases where (in PTE) the inner size of the window has been set to the full size of the screen, the effect that has been observed here seems to be quite natural.

Regards,

Xaver

Peter,

Igor's solution to the Image Border "issue" is to go to "Adjust Image and Borders > Canvas" and reduce the overall image by 20 Pixels (for example) all round. Then go to Border Tab and add a 20 Pixel Border.

You can apply this solution to the "Window Mode" with a little experimentation.

Create a Custom Sized Project by reducing its resolution by x pixels equal to the number of pixels in the Window Mode Border. When the Window is then created it will bring it back to your Full Screen Window Mode that that you are trying to achieve.

My argument in the other thread is that it should be possible, by choosing an option of an "Inside" or "Outside" Border, to avoid having to crop before adding the Border / Window.

Both "issues" revolve around WHERE you add the Border / Window - Inside or Outside.

Outside distorts the AR.

Inside preserves the AR.

DG

I have added no borders whatsoever with PTE. So please stop rabbiting on about them in this topic. I am talking about the borders that form the extreme edges of the normal Microsoft Window - the window in which an application is presented to the user. In my case the application being presented to the user is my Workbench.exe built using PTE and using no borders of any kind on any image within that sequence - a sequence of just one background slide that has a selection of buttons on it.

After considerable reflection I now believe that what I am up against is a combination of circumstances. On the one hand, in PTE, when using "Windowed mode" on the Project Options > Screen tab, the values provided for "Size of slide/window" on that same tab are "absolute values". The window in which the PTE sequence application runs is NOT re-sizable - only minimizable. Moreover, I believe they apply only to the image area within the Microsft Window. Thus, the title bar of the window and the entire surrounding window frame (I will avoid calling it a border or an edge, and please don't now assume I am talking about PTE Frame objects!) require pixels over and above those required for the image. There are also pixels taken up by the Windows Taskbar. Windows 7 shows a strong reluctance to have any window sized larger than the available screen size. Put all of these factors together, and you have the outcome that I have encountered.

I can only conclude that PTE tries to set up a Microsoft Window big enough to accommodate a 1920x1080 pixel image, but that Windows then reduces the size of this in order to fit the window into the available height of the PC monitor (in my case: 1080 minus the Taskbar, Window Title bar and the top and bottom Window frames). Windows and PTE between them seem to try and preserve the aspect ratio of 16:9 for the image area within that Window by shrinking the width proportionally to the loss on the height, and therefore I see parts of the desktop at either side of the application Window.

I cannot mark this topic as SOLVED because it isn't. It is merely UNDERSTOOD. What I got is the way it has to be - or so it seems.

regards,

Peter

I can only conclude that PTE tries to set up a Microsoft Window big enough to accommodate a 1920x1080 pixel image, but that Windows then reduces the size of this in order to fit the window into the available height of the PC monitor

Here is the link of the discussion ... during v7 Beta 6 development.

Posts 154, 155

That's what I said above (post 13) :)

Regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

"Be kind; life's too short to be angry" oooooooooooooooh :blink:

Just to mention a couple of points, I hide my taskbar, have done for years as it gives more viewing area, especially when using a 16-9 aspect ratio monitor, my 15inch LT is a real eyestrainer. Anyway back to the topic I've attached a couple of screen shots of my monitor showing it without taskbar & with the mouse hovered over the TB allowing it to appear. I don't really know what Peter is getting at or what his complaint is about, but surely --- "Be kind; life's too short to be angry" That's the second time today he's gone a step too far, the first involved me but I'm wise enough to shrug it off.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-66169400-1348940620_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-81220300-1348940636_thumb.jp

Eric/Dave,

I owe you two an apology. Yesterday was one of those days when nothing at all goes right. Consequently my frustrations just built up steadily through the course of the day. I had to let off steam, but should never have done so here on the forum. I'm deeply sorry.

I do try and live up to my signature phrase but occasionally my behaviour fails to match my expectation of myself. Yesterday was one of those days when I failed to live up to my expectations of myself. I'm sorry I let everybody down.

kindest regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric/Dave,

I owe you two an apology. Yesterday was one of those days when nothing at all goes right. Consequently my frustrations just built up steadily through the course of the day. I had to let off steam, but should never have done so here on the forum. I'm deeply sorry.

I do try and live up to my signature phrase but occasionally my behaviour fails to match my expectation of myself. Yesterday was one of those days when I failed to live up to my expectations of myself. I'm sorry I let everybody down.

kindest regards,

Peter

Good man, my faith in you is restored, we all have bad days. Have a look at my Kylie post, that will cheer you up

Regards Eric ;)

Yachtsman1.

Maybe it's the influence of a magnetic storm. Also yesterday was a full moon. I also feel irritable and do not feel very well. Can't do anything already two days.

WASHINGTON, SEPT 30:

NASA has captured the image of a particularly wide Earth-directed coronal mass ejection or flare, erupting from the Sun and spewing billions of tonnes of solar particles.

Experimental NASA research models estimate that the flare, travelling around 1,120 km per second, reached the Earth on Saturday.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/science/article3951520.ece

Thanks Peter,

It would now be of interest to know where you stand on the original issue?

With this in mind, I would like to suggest a little experiment for you to try? Please ensure that that you are feeling up to it before reading further because here I go again:

Start off with a 1920x1080 Project (Windowed Mode) and gradually reduce the HEIGHT by 5 or 10 pixels. Each time, go to Preview. Stop when the margins of the Window FILL the width of the screen.

Now examine the Resolution and AR of the project that you have created in order to fill the screen in Windowed Mode.

An example for a 1920x1200 (16:10) Monitor Screen:

Original Project Size = 1920x1200 (PTE Window narrower than Monitor Screen Size)

Modified Project Size = 1920x1180 (PTE Window Fits Monitor Screen Size) - AR of the Project is not 16:10 but the AR of the PTE Window size is 16:10.

I will now try to explain the similarity between this anomaly and the Border anomaly in PTE.

If you start with a 1920x1200 image in a 1920x1200 Project the image fills the screen. By adding a 20 pixel Border to the 1920x1200 image it becomes 1960x1240 but the image fits the height of the screen and there are background coloured lines down the side of the Image.

Now hit the Size button in "Size/Position" and you'll see the original image fit the screen again with the newly added border outside of the Project window. The Size of the image can be read as 1960x1240.

1920x1200 is 16:10 wheras 1960x1240 is NOT 16:10 (it is narrower).

Now, at the risk of boring everyone here is another anomaly:

If you try to replicate the above (Window Mode Anomaly) on a 16:10 monitor of a different resolution you will get a totally different result. Clarification - I'm talking about building a 1920x1200 project on a 1280x800 laptop.

The required Project Size required to fit a PTE window to Screen Resolution on a 1280x800 (16:10) monitor screen is 1920x1165.

If the project is built at 1920x1200 and the PTE window is adjust to fit the 1280x800 monitor it will not then show correctly on the 1920x1200 monitor.

If I read Igor's comments correctly I think that he is saying that he has no control over the size of the "Frame of the Window" in the same way as we have control of the Border Aspect Ratio. In PS (CSx or Elements) it is possible to place a border Inside or Outside of the Image and thus control the Aspect Ratio.

Igor has certainly provided the means to do this in PTE but it seems cumbersome and requires a lot more work to do it in PTE than it does in PS.

I would like to say at this stage that I have not been influenced by Cosmic events and that I have checked my figures and theories and found them to hold up.:)

E&OE.

Best wishes,

DG