WnSoft Forums

The Third Image

Hi Ron

(First......a grammatical adjustment to my earlier message.....should read 'emerging' - sorry folks!)

Ron, with the greatest will in the world the images aren't going to size up from 640 to 1024 and still look good, especially at 72 dpi..........my bigger concern is the downsizing of the images and I have emailed Bart to ask if they are defaulting to 400 pixels width - I guess they are as my original images of 320 are on there and if you double click on these to show them at their true size, nothing happens (that is, I would suggest, because they are smaller than 400) - if you double click on yours (640's) they enlarge to the true size, but you can't copy them in any shape nor form........at least my system doesn't allow that. If you email them to yourself and save them as a postcard and then convert/save them to jpegs in photoshop, they remain at 400 - as the postcard image is 400 - so my guess is that Bart's system is set at 400 - possibly to conserve space.

Personally, I don't have an issue with this size, and can work through this if need be, as it is only an experiment........let me know what you think and I'll let you know what Bart says in his reply.

Regards

The Image Suite

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two of my images which I copied from Bart's site came in at 400 pixels width as I have said in my previous message. I have just tried re-sizing them to 640 pixels width and looked at them in PTE and they are as the original. On preview they are 9 inches wide on my 19 inch monitor and should be quite adequate for the exercise. From all that I have read the 72 dpi is not relevant to images on screen but only to printing. If my memory serves me right Ian Bateman has written a paper on this and maybe he would like to comment..

Are you sure you cannot locate the task bar in the top lefthand corner of the image, which only appears when you pass the mouse over that area. That is how I copied one of your images and was able to see that the pixel width needed increasing.

So far so good.

Ron [uK]

Hello everyone..

May I clarify some "issues" about my Photo Gallery?

Max width or height of an intermediate picture is 600 pixels

(this is what you see when you click on the "film strip", if you click on

the popup image..it will show the actual size the submitter uploaded)

I have set the Max size for uploaded pictures to 5120 KB

(at present..I personally think this enough..if everyone feels it is not..

I will adjust it accordingly!)

Also I set the Max width or height for uploaded pictures to 2048 pixels

(Again.. that is a large image to download if you are on dial up and to view

it comfortable on a computer screen!)

Comments welcomed

Bart

Hi

If I could just add, in a seperate email to me, in response to my enquiry, Bart tells me that the thumbnails are, as we guessed, defaulting to a set 400 pixels wide which is why we are experiencing the down-sizing Ron.

Perhaps some of the other guys should now step in and let us know what they would like to see here for the challenge. I am happy for Bart to retain the images on the sizes he has already mentioned for normal day to day use, but perhaps we should look at this challenge as a one off? What do you all think?

Ron, I'd be very interested to read Ian Bateman's article as I have never experienced an image of 72 dpi 'on screen' being as good when enlarged in excess of the 100% mark, unless I have used genuine fractals!

The Image Suite

My experience concurs with the downloads by Ron. Ron's 640x480 downloads to me as 400x300. But I am confused. The info from Bart looks like he has given plenty of leeway for large uploads. Should it not be a "simple" thing for him to set the allowable download size to allow a full size 640x480? Ron's nice original looks a mess when I expand the 400x300 back to 640x480. If Bart is unable to adjust his downloadable size for a specific gallery, I wonder if he could somehow hang the photos in his gallery but have them reside on someone else's (storage) site. I could offer space for that, if Bart would want to do it that way. What do you think Bart. Of course, I may not understand the issue as it is now.?.

The Image Suite

I am hoping that either Ian or Maureen will step in and save me on this one. Otherwise I will have to start scanning through my copies of AV World and AV News.

However most of the images I have used over the past eighteen months, including the Dome and the RC Cathedral, Lille, have been from my Minolta Dimages 7Hi. They are 1280 pixels width and 72 dpi. For PTE, after working on them by cropping etc., I resize them to 1024 pixels width leaving the 72 dpi unchanged. I then "Save for Web" jpg quality 80. For competition prints I resize to 12 inch x 9 inch dimension and 300 dpi resolution. (I use A3+ paper cut in half).

LumenLux

Did you copy the thumbnail or the true size image (double click on the thumbnail).

Ron [uK]

;) This dpi business really seems to confuse people. It refers to images intended to be printed & not to those intended to be viewed on screen or via a digital projector - you'll find an excellent discussion at the following link which ought to be compulsory course reading for anyone using digital imaging!

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

Forget dpi - just make sure your image is the correct number of pixels!

However, if you're scanning for printing purposes you'll need much bigger images to get decent quality. Don't really on up-sampling images in Photoshop or similar programs.

Ian Bateman's article appeared in AV World No 27, Autumn 2003, on pages 32/33.

It is a summary of the long article published on Scantips.com website to which ContaxMan refers in his post.

Same info, with several pictures as examples of the "72 dpi myth", can also be found on the following pages of my website.

Thanks I can breathe again my memory was not deceiving me. Gerard, I have had your Digital Basics set as one of my 'Favorites' for quite a while now and whilst I had not referred to it recently I originally used it to confirm and amend the procedures which I use.

Now we can get back to the challenge????

Ron [uK]

Ian's article on "the myth of 72dpi" is also still up on the AVWorld web site

see previous articles pages. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is sending sequences in to Peter Coles for the Geoffrey Round digital AV comp!

Great place to see superb dissolves and new sequences from lots of countries.

BW Maureen

Here is another alternative..

You can use the upload facility on my site, no matter

what size, dpi, etc.

(It even has a "screenshot" placement)

I am just trying to make is easy for all to view, share and exchange

their images/projects.

You all decide and if you find it more advantageous else where..

I will not interfere!

Thanks,

Bart

btw..if you decide on this, you can still add the image(s) to the gallery,

since both methods are in different directories!

Sorry to join in so late - I'm an infrequent visitor to the forum these days!

Ron - you are spot on with your assumption about dpi - for screen display it is a totally irrelevent measure as mentioned by the contributors above.

I'll get my plug in for the Geoffrey Round Competition as well! There weren't many entries from Forum members last year, so hoping to see a lot more this time round. I'd particularly like to see one entered by the Image Suite man (Mr Homer I presume?) as it would be interesting to see the type of sequence covered by the training courses.

Regards to all

Ian

Hi Bart, yes your help is appreciated as always. Maybe what we need is simply for you to tell us whether we can download the same size files that are uploaded. If that is possible, please help us all understand how to do that.

By the way, I really like the look and arrangement you have set up at MultiMediaMatrix.

Thanks again.

The first three images for the "challenge" uploaded by Image Suite were of the width:height ratio of 4:3. So I followed with my three also 4:3. The latest by Alan are 3:2 so I have had to crop them. Can future uploads all be 4:3 please?

Ron [uK]

After "Can future uploads be 4:3 please?" I should have added "for this challenge". The request is for the challengers.

Thanks Bart for your e-mail.

Ron [uK]

hi Ron,

sorry about the ratio mis match. I'm still working in 35mm and the retain aspect ratio was on. I'm still playing with my scanner so things can be a bit wobbly at times. We are having Ian Bateman over at the end of March hope some of the clouds will lift then :D .

Time is getting tight for the rest of the group to lodge thier work. I hope the site wont crash in the rush :rolleyes:

Best wishes,

Alan

Hello Alan

Your images go well with what has gone before and my crop to 4:3 has in no way affected their quality. I am sure you will enjoy Ian's visit at the end of March.

Ron [uK]

Hi Bart,

Very good images. just one question though, if we use the laptop shot as a title will this be sponsorship, and will we all get a free laptop? :rolleyes:

This should incourage the others to enter,

Alan

Sorry but I am getting a little confused now with this "challenge". I thought we were to submit three images each on the subject "architecture". So far we have had three from The Image Suite which are to be re-sized up to 640 pixels width; then three from myself and three from Alan. Now we have six images of "people" not of 640 pixels width. With the suggested closing date of 1st March I think this "challenge" is a dead duck.

Ron [uK]

Hi All

Been out of the loop for a few days and whilst I have read the contents of this thread, time has not allowed me to respond.

Ian, thank you for that information; I shall read your article with interest.

Bart; thanks for hosting the images for us......

Ron; hey Ron, are you being a kiljoy here? :D I can see at least 36 images between you, me, LumenLux and Alan, and I haven't even started looking yet - where's your imagination?

In fairness to Bart, (and I may be speaking out of turn here), I believe that he was so deeply engrossed in programming the gallery for us that he missed a few threads on here where we decided to limit to one category only and agree a size. As a consequence, I know that he has kindly set up about 5 or 6 categories for us.......I see no harm in anyone putting up images into the other categories as this is a photo gallery, and I think that this should be both applauded and encouraged.......as long as we agree to use only the 'architecture' images for the 'challenge'.....and besides guys, this is a learning and a fun experience! As I said earlier, I can see at least 36 images from the 12 that are already submitted - think about it! :)

Ofcourse, all those thousand members plus that haven't joined in the fun, are welcome to submit images to Bart's site both for the challenge and just because it's there!

Go for it!

The Image Suite

I am certainly not a killjoy Image Suite but more a disappointed worrier that my fellow forum members had not responded to the challenge. I was not aware of the contribution by Lumenlux and I see too that you have re-sized your contributions. My problem now is that I cannot seem to access the "Architecture" album on Bart's site. When I click on "album list" all I get are six random images and the six latest.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron (and all)

I have just accessed all the images in folders.

1. Go to 'photo gallery'

2. On top left hand side is the word Category and directly below are the words

'The Third Image' click or double click on that and it will take you to the albums

3. Click on the image within the Architecture section and all will be revealed! You will also see that Bart's images are in the rightful place in people.

Hope this helps

Cheers

The Image Suite

P.S. I'm not entirely sure how to remove them, so have asked Bart to remove my smaller sized images to ensure that no-one gets confused......

Thanks. All is now revealed and I will away and cook my lunch - not a pretty sight for the gallery!!!

Ron [uK]