WnSoft Forums

A Little Southwest Christmas Dream

Lin Evans

First one with new system. I "really" love the 30" high resolution display. Amazing clarity and easy on the old eyes to see with strain.

Link For PC - about 30 meg zipped exe

Link For MacIntosh - about 30 meg zipped native mac exe

3.2 format for wide screen zipped Win Executable

Lin

Hi Lin,

Nice show, played beautiful on my paltry 22" screen :lol:/>, any reason you keep the 2:3 format?

Your the master of the falling snow on the screen, the real stuff we had our share off yesterday here in New England.

Merry Christmas to you too,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks!

My cameras shoot in 3:2 aspect ratio so trying to squeeze the images into a wide format causes more trouble than it's worth for me because I compose using the full sensor and screen. In order to do that (wide aspect ratio), I would have to either use images I've purposely shot as less than optimal zoom and cropped (very few of my hundreds of thousands) or recent photos done specifically for wide aspect ratio. Even my new 30" display is 16:10 rather than 16:9.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Nice show, played beautiful on my paltry 22" screen laugh.gif/>, any reason you keep the 2:3 format?

Your the master of the falling snow on the screen, the real stuff we had our share off yesterday here in New England.

Bert

Hi Tom,

Thanks! It was a bit much for my XP system with my nVidia 8800GT card too. It stuttered a bit on the zoom, but was smooth as silk on the new system. There are quite a few large PNG files with all the snow and that tends to make things difficult for less than optimal systems.

I'll have to look into trying to do a snow slide style. I connected a new speaker system on my new computer tonight and after hooking everything back up, my modem failed. The lights would come on for about one second then go out. I called Century Link (formerly Quest) where I have my DSL service and they suggested I buy a new one from BestBuy. I just finished configuring it for my two desktop systems and my notebook and got everything up and running once again. Hopefully this one will last longer than the old one!

Best regards.

P.S. I'm typing this on the new system and the text is running all the way across the 25 inches horizontal of the screen I'll have to look at it on the other system to see if it wraps... LOL

Very nice. I like the rainbow color in the ornaments. Slight hesitation on my old ATI 4670 card.

I hope you make a falling snow slide style.

Thanks,

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

When I configured my new PC it wouldn't recognise my wireless modem. After a session with BT (my ISP) they suggested the software in the modem was out of date with the new PC Asus wireless card & sent a new modem. That worked fine & was much faster than the old one.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Lin,

Nice show, played beautiful on my paltry 22" screen :lol:/>/>, any reason you keep the 2:3 format?

Bert

The Format seems to be 4:3 and not 3:2 (43cm x 32 cm), at least it is on my monitor and it is not distorted as the snow globes are perfectly round.

Hi Ken,

The cameras which I use don't have a wide format option so I probably won't do that. I primarily shoot to make prints and the problem is that there really are no commonly available frames for the wide format aspect ratio. It's too bad that serious cameras and the entertainment industry can't agree on a format. Actually, even with consumer cameras, the sensors are not wide format so when you choose a 16:9 format you are just cropping what the sensor actually captures and throwing away a part of your available resolution. If the entertainment industry and the camera industry ever concur on an aspect ratio format it would be nice.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

now that you are in the latest system will you be changing your camera's shooting format to give us full screen?

ken

Hi Mick,

The cameras actually are 3:2 but the closest thing PTE has to that is 4:3 so images from my cameras must generally go to 112% to fill the screen on a 4:3 aspect ratio show and display. If I tried to crop the images I used in that show to fit a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio, important subject matter would be lost. If you take a screen capture of one of the images from the show and then crop it to fill the 16:9 or even 16:10 aspect ratio, you will see what I mean.

Best regards,

Lin

The Format seems to be 4:3 and not 3:2 (43cm x 32 cm), at least it is on my monitor and it is not distorted as the snow globes are perfectly round.

Hi Mick,

The cameras actually are 3:2 but the closest thing PTE has to that is 4:3 so images from my cameras must generally go to 112% to fill the screen on a 4:3 aspect ratio show and display. If I tried to crop the images I used in that show to fit a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio, important subject matter would be lost. If you take a screen capture of one of the images from the show and then crop it to fill the 16:9 or even 16:10 aspect ratio, you will see what I mean.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Must be the old eyes are failing or the Christmas revelries are starting early but 3:2 is on the list of Aspects Ratios in Project Options.

LOL - it's not "your eyes" which are failing, I think it's mine!!!. I simply didn't see 3:2 so used 4:3 instead. I'll have to play with 3:2 and see what it looks like on the 16:10 display!!! Thanks for pointing that out!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Must be the old eyes are failing or the Christmas revelries are starting early but 3:2 is on the list of Aspects Ratios in Project Options.

Hi Mick,

A little more on the aspect ratio - in retrospect, the primary reason I've been using 4:3 is that I can cover my 5:4 aspect ratio display completely with the 4:3 plus a 112 percent zoom. There are still quite a few of my old clients using higher resolution (1600x1200 and higher) CRT displays which are 5:4 aspect ratio and a number of them with 4:3 displays. The new 16:9 is taking over the mid-range and HD resolution displays, but the top-end resolution right now is in 30 inch displays and they are nearly all 16:10 aspect ratio at 2560x1600. Seems it's not possible to make a single show which will suit all expectations.... I think 3:2 works best for me on the 16:10 because there is only about an inch of black on either side horizontally and the vertical aspect is filled.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Hi Mick,

A little more on the aspect ratio - in retrospect, the primary reason I've been using 4:3 is that I can cover my 5:4 aspect ratio display completely with the 4:3 plus a 112 percent zoom. There are still quite a few of my old clients using higher resolution (1600x1200 and higher) CRT displays which are 5:4 aspect ratio and a number of them with 4:3 displays. The new 16:9 is taking over the mid-range and HD resolution displays, but the top-end resolution right now is in 30 inch displays and they are nearly all 16:10 aspect ratio at 2560x1600. Seems it's not possible to make a single show which will suit all expectations.... I think 3:2 works best for me on the 16:10 because there is only about an inch of black on either side horizontally and the vertical aspect is filled.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Like you I shoot in 3:2 and also find it difficult to try and compose in a different format. However, I do a lot of landscape work and I do think this often works better in wide screen so I compromise and sometimes do shows in 16:10. This works well on my 3:2 monitor and also my 16:9 TV as both have black surrounds and the black lines just meld in. I think you should choose a format that suits the show and not worry about the black lines. As an afterthought I think it would be good if SLR makers (or Canon at least) would add a frame as required to the viewing screen to show the varying formats while still keeping the full format. Can't be difficult to do.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

You probably know a lot of "Hi End" cameras now have various aspect ratios built in, my Panasonic FZ150 although not high end has about 6, so mine is permanently set on 16-9 to suit my monitor & TV so I know what is on the viewfinder will be on the image I produce. & if the camera / movie / TV industry ever come to its senses & goes to 1-1, I can accomodate it. :)/>/>/>/>

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.