WnSoft Forums

PTE link to my Photoshop Elements Editor

LumenLux

In PTE Version 7.5, I have previously used PTE link to either Irfanview or Photoshop Elements 12. In PTE Version 8.01, on Windows 7, I can not get the link to operate properly with Elements 12. My specified link in PTE will open Photoshop Elements 12 Editor, but the image from PTE is not open/available for immediate edit action. Has anyone else encountered this? If I use the PTE link to Irfanview, the image is indeed opened with Irfanview for editing. So Irfanview works the same in PTE versions 7.5 and 8.01. Photoshop Elements 12, will not open the image from PTE 8.01.

I just tried on my version of PTE8 and the images opened up and were editable in Elements 12

I first set up the graphical editor in PicturesToExe 8 via Settings>Preference>system and then I located the Elements 12 application file

You will find that at c:\program files (x86)\adobe\Photoshop Elements12\PhotodshopElementsEditor

Leave off the (x86) unless you have a 64 bit computer

It should work fine

I just tried on my version of PTE8 and the images opened up and were editable in Elements 12

I first set up the graphical editor in PicturesToExe 8 via Settings>Preference>system and then I located the Elements 12 application file

You will find that at c:\program files (x86)\adobe\Photoshop Elements12\PhotodshopElementsEditor

Leave off the (x86) unless you have a 64 bit computer

It should work fine

Thank you Barry. Now I'm even more baffled. Your PTE system method is precisely as I did, and even the path, including (x86) is the same! My "C" boot drive, is an SSD. Do you think that could be somehow involved? But I mention again, PTE Version 7.5, using the same path, works properly. Maybe I need bring this to Igor for answer?

I have exactly the same problem but with Photoshop Elements 11 and PTE 8.01. It used to work with Photoshop 10 and PTE 7.5, so having changed to PTE 8.1 and Photoshop Elements 11 I thought something had changed in one of the programs, so I get over it by opening the image file from the Editor in Photoshop Elements 11. This of course is not so convenient, so I will be interested if anyone else has a solution. John

Guest Yachtsman1

I don't use a link from PTE to E11, I used to double click the image & opened it in what ever editor was in favour at the time. Last year for no apparant reason I lost this facility & in Elements, double clicking the image only opened the editor but I then had to look for the image. Since getting my new PC, the facility has returned. I installed E11 onto my new PC from the disc. Possibly one of Adobe's phantom upgrades caused this. :unsure:/>/>

Yachtsman1

I should have said E10 :blink:

I have successfully linked Photoshop Elements 11 to be the Graphics editor and Premiere Elements 11 to be the Video editor in PTE v8.0.1. If I select an appropriate file type and do Ctrl+W the relevant software launches. I also have Audacity 2.0.5 defined to be the Audio editor but CTRL+W doesn't work on any selected audio file (a functional omission from PTE, perhaps?). Photoshop Elements 11 is a 32-bit application. Premiere Elements 11 is a 64-bit application. My system is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition.

regards,

Peter

If you set PSE as your default programme to open JPEG and then, in Settings / Preferences / System set "USE DEFAULT PROGRAM" to Edit Graphical Files then it works OK.

However by pointing the Graphical Editor to PSE I have to go to Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe to get it to work.

It might be the same for PSE 11?

Now to put it back as it was...............

DG

If you set PSE as your default programme to open JPEG and then, in Settings / Preferences / System set "USE DEFAULT PROGRAM" to Edit Graphical Files then it works OK.

However by pointing the Graphical Editor to PSE I have to go to Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe to get it to work.

It might be the same for PSE 11?

Now to put it back as it was...............

DG

Thank you Dave. You have "solved" the behavior, or at least explained what is happening. As you point out, I can in Windows 7, set Elements 12 as default program to open all .jpg files. Then in PTE set "Use Default Program.", the result is the intended image from PTE will open for editing.

What this also means to me, is the other choice in PTE, for "Set graphical editor" is not working properly if you want to use an editor that is not the Windows-selected default. For instance, I would like to have Windows use Irfanview as default to open .jpg files. At same time, I want to have PTE open image in Elements 12 for editing. I think that is what Igor intends to be possible, and I think he will want to fix PTE V8 to work as he intends. Again, thank you for clarifying what is happening.

But as I said, I can also set the other option by CAREFULLY choosing the Application in the (x86)\Adobe etc folder.

I was getting the same as you but I tried some alternatives and eventually got that option to work as well.

You have to "drill down" into the folders to find the right option.

DG

But as I said, I can also set the other option by CAREFULLY choosing the Application in the (x86)\Adobe etc folder.

I was getting the same as you but I tried some alternatives and eventually got that option to work as well.

You have to "drill down" into the folders to find the right option.

DG

But I think, Dave, that I am "drilling down" and indeed linking the right program. But when it thusly is used in PTE (Ctrl-W), only the Elements Editor opens, but not the needed image. I think it is likely an easy correction for Igor to make. (?)

I suppose Dave, you could test on your pc, if you change your Windows Default to a different Editor, if your specific "Grapical Editor" selected in PTE will still open the image. In my case, it will not.

I just tried it again for you.

My Default Editor for JPEGs and NEFs is NX2.

I can select PSE 10 in Settings / Preferences and it works.

post-2488-0-98513700-1389118593_thumb.jp

DG

Thanks Dave. What works for you and your setup, does not work on my setup, using Elements 12. PTE Settings/Prefences etc. does it with other editors, but will not open the image when using Elements 12 as selected "graphical editor". But thank you for helping to isolate the problem.

I have also experienced something like you describe. Sometimes for no reason I can put my finger on, the Images would not always open in Photoshop after I hit Ctrl+W. despite the graphical editor being set correctly, I was pretty certain the issue was not a PTE one, but more on my PC, because it used to work fine.

I never did find the cause and can't recall now how I resolved it. It probably resolved itself with a format and re-install which I do from time to time. One thing I have also noticed with software that has Ctrl+key shortcuts, is that one program can interfere with another's shortcuts. Not wonderfully helpful I guess, but just observations over the years.

I followed Barry's (bbdigital) instructions (1st reply) and it works fine in my set up, I can now use Ctrl - W in PTE 8.01 and any highlighted photo in the Slide List goes straight into Photoshop Elements 11 Editor. My computer is a 64 bit one and I used the (x86)in the set up. John

It might be worth noting that the "mistake" that I made early on was brought about because the FOLDER "Photoshop Elements 10" in my Program Files (x86) folder has the same icon as the correct "PhotoshopElements10" Application exe I was looking for.

It's unusual but not unknown.

I don't use Ctrl+W - I use the right click menu.

DG