WnSoft Forums

Test of Color Management

Igor

jt,

PicturesToExe will sugggest several options:

1. No color management.

2. Convert images with color profiles to sRGB (option by default)

3. Convert all images to current color profile of the display.

And probably other options.

I'm not sure that next version will able to cache converted images. The most likely first version will convert color space on the fly in the EXE. It delays loading of JPEG images on 20%.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please try the new Test Color Management 3

3. Transformation of ANY JPEG images to current color profile of your display.

Sorry Igor, I missed this step before.

The result of my tests with your Test Color Management 3 are in accordance with that.

PicturesToExe will perform automatic color management by default. Users need to change anything

So in this case that will be perfect for me.

Thanks.

Daniel

... PicturesToExe will sugggest several options:

1. No color management.

2. Convert images with color profiles to sRGB (option by default)

3. Convert all images to current color profile of the display.

And probably other options.

I'm not sure that next version will able to cache converted images. The most likely first version will convert color space on the fly in the EXE. It delays loading of JPEG images on 20%.

I think that at least in the second option where the output space is defined in advance, I would like to avoid transformations on the fly. Will there be problems with texts, rectangles, and others?

Regards,

jt

I want to add some comments about color mangement.

We, in our club, have very few problem with color management between jpeg pictures and display screen as, in most cases they are all working in sRGB color space.

(We made bad experiences with calibration : expensive tools, spending too much time, repeatedly, for a very very little different result and not always in the good way. Calibration is required only for printing.)

Our main concern in fact, as I said in a previous post, is the difference of color settings of video-projector or TV set between videos (YUV) and Slideshow (sRGB) displays. In other words, I would say, if the color settings of the sRGB monitor are acurate for exe slideshow (sRGB), they are not for videos (YUV) and vice versa.

When we make a screening session, we often have a mix of videos and exe files and it is not always easy at all to find the good "average" color settings for each category so, assuming this problem is due to YUV/sRGB color space difference, it would be very interesting, if it was possible, to have an option to switch from one color space to another in order to avoid to modify color settings during the session.

Daniel

When we make a screening session, we often have a mix of videos and exe files and it is not always easy at all to find the good "average" color settings for each category so, assuming this problem is due to YUV/sRGB color space difference, it would be very interesting, if it was possible, to have an option to switch from one color space to another in order to avoid to modify color settings during the session.

Daniel

The club situation you describe, is actually good example of mess what happens in the imaging world without color management. Yes, you have to educate people to take advantage. The cost for learning and starting to use color management is reasonably small but the benefits are far more advantageous. The day you show first properly color managed slideshow in your club, will be the turning point.

As a general remark, videos are not that good in terms of color handling because to decrease file size much of the information has to be compressed and color information is usually truncated as well. Therefore, to show PTE slideshows with majority of photographic images the PTE exe is and will remain preferable.

Good video editing software is also color managed and rendered videos can have colors resembling sRGB or Adobe RGB space. If you incorporate videos to PTE slideshows, taking this into account will help in color managed workflow.

To show only videos, freeware video player called Media Player Classic is color managed and does very good job.

A good starting resource is here: Color management guide

Sorry Urmas but I think you have not understood my point. Color mamnagement will not solve this issue.

Daniel

Daniel,

Time will tell.

Just my real life experience from printing world (but similar issue). When I prepare my images to print and I want them to be as good as possible, I ask for CMYK settings from the publisher and do resampling, output sharpening and CMYK conversion myself.

Once (years ago), there was a publisher, who answered to my CMYK profile request, that they don't know. Finally they revealed, that they have just default color settings in publishing software. Actually they used US ink and paper settings in prepress software to print in Eurocoat environment. When the publication was printed, they went to printing house, stood aside the printer and asked the printer to adjust the inks in order to get output they were finally satisfied.

Luckily for them, they survived but in order to do so, they had to learn and implement color management.

Urmas