WnSoft Forums

Virus Protection Problems

Barry Beckham

A contact on my own forum reported that he suddenly became unable to download his own zipped slide show from cloud storage via the Google Chrome browser. Google Chrome isolated his zipped slide shows as malicious and prevented him from downloading them. It gave no option to correct the mistake and allow the file to be run. I downloaded a slide show from this forum earlier today and the same thing happened to me, so it does appear there has been a change within Google Chrome that is causing this.

We discovered that Google Chrome has it's own built in phishing and maleware program and that was preventing a genuine file from being downloaded. Once, we could always be assured that zipping an exe file would protect the exe within from over zealous virus protection software, but perhaps not now.

The solution is to go into Google Chrome settings > advanced settings and un-tick the phishing and maleware protection. Most of us have other dedicated virus protection to do that for us and Google's over protection is of little help if it also stops legitimate files from being downloaded and opened.

Dave

I never asked that question to be honest and I will do so and come back with the answer. However, I expect that is was a made slide show that was zipped later. I think many of us are in that situation with older slide shows we may want to store using cloud storage or download from others.

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13935-zipped-pc-executable-file/?p=91295

and the original from tom

ZIP FILES AND GOOGLE FYI REV ‏

To: KEN COX
Show this message...
1732291749670260158?ck=1&ex=1
From: KEN COX (pbyk@sympatico.ca) You moved this message to its current location. Sent: May-21-10 5:24:10 AM To: KEN COX (pbyk@sympatico.ca)

To: spd726@comcast.net; pbyk@sympatico.ca
Subject: ZIP FILES AND GOOGLE FYI REV
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 05:07:07 -0400

PAUL
GOOGLE MAIL PROBLEM
i had been trying to send Tom a zip and it would continuosly bounce
on his recommendation
RENAMED EXE TO MDB AND THEN ZIPPED THE FILE
and away it went
k

AS I HAVE TOLD YOU IN PAST THE PROBLEM WITH GOOGLE AND EXE'S
RENAMED EXE TO MDB AND ZIPPED
Hi Ken,

You could try sending to my campus email account.

Also I think you could rename filename.exe to filename.mdb and it will trick gmail into allowing the attachment.
Tom Mendenhall

Arcata, Ca.

also

What do I do if I can't download my attachments in Windows Live Mail?

Windows Essentials
Help & How-to

To help protect your computer from viruses—programs that can harm your computer or access your private information—Windows Live Mail blocks some types of attachments that have a higher risk of containing a virus. If Mail blocks an attachment that you receive, the warning Prohibited file type is displayed in the message header, and the attachment can't be downloaded or opened.

To always allow all types of attachments, you can change this setting in Safety options. After changing this setting, you will be able to download and open all types of attachments; however, changing this setting won't unblock attachments that Mail has already received. To allow these types of attachments for certain messages, you can ask the sender to compress (or zip) an attachment before sending it.

Igor

I have asked the person concerned to send a zipped version of the slide show he had trouble with and offered him my own File Drop facility to make it easier. I will forward the link if he responds. I had the same issues when I tried to download Eric's slide show Canterbury Canter from his drop box link.

I used Google Chrome and it appeared to be going well and at the end Google blocked the slide show as malicious. After turning of the Phishing and Maleware option it downloaded OK.