WnSoft Forums

How to zoom-in and keep '86% of slide to show main image' fram

goddi

Greetings,

Normally, I have made shows with 100% of the slide showing. However, I am working on one that I have all the images at '86% of slide to show main image' (in Default tab).

When I would zoom-in with 100% of slide showing, the frame of the 1920x1080 window would be boundary of the zoom, no problem.

However, when set to '86%', for example, the zoom-in enlarges the image. I want the image to stay at the '86%' size and keep the same boundary of the '86%' frame.

Is there a way to do this to make it a global effect for all images?

I know I can do this by creating 4 rectangles (one for each side), but I'd have to do this for each image. And if a border is applied it would get covered by the rectangles. I am looking for a global effect to do this. And this would be useful for panning, etc., too.

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

It would help if you told us why told us why you are using 86% of main image?

Two things come to mind:

A 1920x1080 "matte" with the 86% cut out of the middle and saved as a png. Place this on top of every slide. Put the border/stroke line on the inside of the matte.

If you are doing this to produce an mp4 or DVD for your tv then you can add blank black image to each slide and make it the main image. All other objects are children of this and at the end use the 86%. Everything is then reduce by the correct amount.

DG

Gary,

It would help if you told us why told us why you are using 86% of main image?

Two things come to mind:

A 1920x1080 "matte" with the 86% cut out of the middle and saved as a png. Place this on top of every slide. Put the border/stroke line on the inside of the matte.

If you are doing this to produce an mp4 or DVD for your tv then you can add blank black image to each slide and make it the main image. All other objects are children of this and at the end use the 86%. Everything is then reduce by the correct amount.

DG

Dave,

I am using '86%' just as a technique to have a black border all the way around the images and to show a border on each image.

The problem with making a "matte' is that not all the images are exactly the same size and some are horizontal, some are portrait. So a single specific "matte" size would not work. If I put a blank black image to each side of the image, it would cover the border I have added to all the images, and a pain to have to do it to each image.

I am not sure how to explain it but it would be nice if the '86%' (or whatever the reduction in the main image size you choose) could be made to act as if it was the 'main image size' so the animation would operate within that '86%' frame size. Any other ideas?

Gary

Why not use a Rectangle Mask in a Mask Container on every slide and place your image inside the Mask Container? You can adjust the Mask to give Portrait or Landscape as required.

Peter

Peter,

I have fiddled around with the Rectangle Mask but I could not figure out how to work it. Since you mentioned it, I will see if I can continue my fiddling with it to achieve the results I want. I don't need it for every image but it would be nice if I could get it to work. Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary

If you are happy to stick with landscapes, then there is a quick global method to do what you want, without having to work on each slide.

Make a png matte as davegee suggests, then use Project Options to add it as a watermark as follows:

Click on Project Options -> Advanced -> Tick Show watermark -> Customise

then add your png file with the following settings:

Position Centred

Size 100%

Offset 0

Panning and zooming of your chosen slides will stay behind the matte.

Regards

wideangle

just as a technique to have a black border all the way around the images and to show a border on each image.

I must be missing the point here because this seems a complicated way to add a border to an image. Forgive me if I have grabbed the wrong end of the stick. I would use Photoshop/Elements layers to do this so that I could create each image on it's own layer. The free transform controls allow infinite size options to create the border to each image. I can see the effects of what I am doing before I save the layer as an image for the show. I also get to see and adjust how the shape of one image will look with regards to the next one in the sequence. Especially if the images are not all the same size. A Border stroked line can be applied to each image with a simple drag and drop technique from the layers Fx.

Maybe portrait format images can be prepared side by side on one page if required. It allows an attractive layout of a number of different sized images and helps to create that all important flow to the images created.

For Photoshop users, a simple action can be prepared to save each layer as a separate image and even allow you to name each one in sequence.

just as a technique to have a black border all the way around the images and to show a border on each image.

I must be missing the point here because this seems a complicated way to add a border to an image. Forgive me if I have grabbed the wrong end of the stick. I would use Photoshop/Elements layers to do this so that I could create each image on it's own layer....

Yes, you have missed the real point of my posting. Forget about the borders.

My primary point is to be able to apply animation to an image that has been reduced by using '% of slide to show main image', in Default tab. I'd like the image that was reduced in size to be treated as if it was the 'main image size', so the animation would operate within that reduced image's frame size. Currently, if you reduce the size of an image, and then zoom-in, the image will just enlarge again. I want the image to keep the same reduced size...but be able to zoom-in or pan, for example, without the reduced image's borders enlarging or moving.

I only mentioned the borders (made in PTE) because if someone suggested applying blank black rectangles around each side of the reduced image, it would cover the border. Making a rectangular mask was suggested but I don't know, yet, how to do this.

Gary

As suggested, probably the way to go with that is via a mask, but I doubt you're going to get the software to automatically do this for you if the images vary in size.

Using layers would still be the way to go because you can create a new document at your slide show size and then cut out a hole in the background to accommodate your image behind it. Save it as a Png file to preserve the transparent centre part and it can be placed over your image in the Object and Animation screen. As long as you create the hole at the smallest size you want the image to be, your free to animate the image behind the matt/mask.

In fact, you can take this a whole lot further and create a real Matt effect that looks as though your image is sitting beneath the matt/mask

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum... so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn (and apologies if I am).

goddi - are you changing the main image size to 86% to fit the slideshow to all TV screens?

If so, then I think the problem may be to do with the necessity to do that in the first place (and the lack of an automatic crop when zooming).

There should be a very simple way of saying "output for TVs - crop to 4:3" or "output for TVs - crop to 16:9" etc., in such a way that when a slideshow is played, a zoomed image is cropped within 4:3 or 16:9. And in both cases the 86% thing should just happen - a user should not be expected to know they need 86% of a slide to show main images, to fit within most TV screens).

I know there are workarounds with rectangular PNGs etc... but this is version 8. Isn't it about time a user should be able to create a slideshow that looks the same on all screens and projectors when zooming, without having to know about percentages and masks?

Thanks to the developers for an excellent program by the way!!

Tim

Tim,

This is not about DVDs - this is about creating a border.

In the DVD application that you are thinking about the percentage can vary and is not a fixed figure for everyone - two TVs can require different percentages.

MP4 files on TV via USB don't need a percentage crop at all.

Here's the method I use - it doesn't suit everyone:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16089-making-a-dvd/

DG

DG - thanks very much for the link (and for your time creating the multi-step tutorial).

Actually goddi hasn't said he wants to create a border: "I want the image to stay at the '86%' size and keep the same boundary of the '86%' frame."

You've interpreted that one way, and I've interpreted it another.

Goddi - can you clarify your reason for wanting to do this please?

Greetings All,

I seemed to have cause a bit of confusion with my posting. Let me try to clarify. I am not trying to make a traditional 'border', such as a border stroke line around each image or anything to do with DVDs. I just want to leave a black space around each image in the show by reducing the images by a certain percentage. In this case, about 86%. Ok, that is easy and it is done.

But then I want to do some animation with some of the images, such as zooming-in and panning. But when this is done with these reduced sized images, the zoomed-in images expand beyond the 86% and the panned images move left or right.

I want these animated images to animate withing the 86% established area. Barry attached an example (#12) and that is what I am trying to achieve. But I will want it to be rectangular with no white stroke. Just trying to keep it simple. But I don't want to have to make a layer or mask. I want the flexibility to change the % reduction without having to make a new layer or mask.

I have been asked 'why' do I want the '86%' reduction in image size. Just seems to fit the show style I am trying to achieve. Also, normally I would expand the images to the 1920x1080 and crop out the top and bottom of the images to be full frame at 16x9. But, most of the images would have to be cropped too much, losing important portions of the image. I did not leave extra space when they were shot. Also, I did not want black bars on the left and right sides, if left at 100%. So I reduced the size of the images to 86% to have the black space (I should have not used the word 'borders') all around the images.

Since I added a 'shadow behind each image' (Default tab), I could not use the simple solution of adding a blank black rectangle to each side of the images I wanted to animate. If I had not wanted the 'shadow', I would not have come across this problem of wanting to add some animation to some of the images that have been reduced to '86%'.

Now that I think of it, I want the capability to make the black space that I created after reducing the size of the image to be the 'layer or mask' by just ticking a selection in the 'Main Image for New Slides' menu (Default tab). Then, all animation would be contained within the established reduced image area.

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary

I fully understand what you are trying to achieve and have pondered on that problem myself for quite a while now.

The nearest solution to what you want is what I suggested above. but it does require an initial mask and only works for either landscape or portrait but not a mix.

I appreciate that the 86% is incidental but once you have decided on the percentage, you just create the mask to suit.

Everyone seems to have missed the point completely that you wanted a GLOBAL solution. ie an initial setting which will apply to ALL slides, without having to work on each individual slide to add masks etc

Barry

Agreed - this method is a non-starter if you have images of varying size.

However, if all are the same, say 1920x1080, you can reduce them to 86% or whatever, in one click in Project Options, then add your 'watermark' mask (which could be your real matte effect) with another click, and hey presto, job done.

Much easier than working through each and every slide in Objects and Animations, even if you do only have to Copy and Paste.

Regards

wideangle

Hi Gary

I fully understand what you are trying to achieve and have pondered on that problem myself for quite a while now.

The nearest solution to what you want is what I suggested above. but it does require an initial mask and only works for either landscape or portrait but not a mix.

I appreciate that the 86% is incidental but once you have decided on the percentage, you just create the mask to suit.

Everyone seems to have missed the point completely that you wanted a GLOBAL solution. ie an initial setting which will apply to ALL slides, without having to work on each individual slide to add masks etc...

Regards

wideangle

Wideange,

Actually, I think I'd prefer to be able to apply to solution to images individually, not necessarily Globally. This would give the ability to be more creative. If an image was reduced in size, then the black area around the image could be 'frozen' as if its borders are the borders of the full frame window. And just apply animations to it. I always have horizontal and portrait image so this would make it easy to use on whatever size you have, and not having to create a variety of masks. Maybe it is a difficult thing to program...but maybe not.

But I think it would add to the creative capabilities of PTE.

Gary

Back in the old days of film, we always had the issue of using portrait and landscape format images into the one slide show. I always approached this as a creative challenge and used masks to get a sweet fade between the two formats. It often included square masks, some with soft edges and oval masks were attractive too.

I am not sure if I am being an old dodo here and some may say I probably am. However, isn't it these creative aspects within PTE and other software that are open to an individuals interpretation and creativity? Isn't it these things that provide the interest, the variety and the charm of a well made slide show?

Perhaps its just me again being old and out of date, but I don't want my creativity delivered to me in a box, the same box delivered to everyone else too. If there's nothing to learn in our software because all eventualities have been catered for, it ain't worth having, because everyone else has it too.

...and not having to create a variety of masks.

Gary,

With my suggested solution (see post #6) you wouldn't need to create any Mask at all. You would be using PTE's in-built rectangular mask. All you would need to do would be to adjust its parameters to give you as sharp an edge as you wanted. Sure, you would have to work each slide individually, but that is where PTE's greatest feature lies - it forces nothing on the user. Instead, it leaves the decisions entirely to the user - putting all the creativity where it belongs: in our hands!

One approach using my suggested technique would be to: create your first slide by using a blank slide. Add as an independent object a Mask Container, using the Rectangular Mask, with the mask's parameters set to your liking. Zoom the mask (rectangle) to the size that you want. Add the first real image inside the Mask Container. Set your zooms and pans on that real image and make sure it is set as the "Main image". Now, from the Slide List, use CTRL+C/CTRL+V to copy and paste the slide. Select the second slide and use Change Main Image to drop in your next real image. Repeat the Paste, do the Change Main Image and adjust its Zoom and Pan.. For your Portrait images simply rotate the Mask Container through 90 degrees and contra-rotate your Main Image.

Hint: Once you get a correctly set Landscape version, add a blank slide at the end of your sequence and copy and paste this correct Landscape slide after it. When you get your first Portrait image set to your liking, copy and paste that after the blank slide as well. Now you have a couple of "master" slides that you can copy and paste whereever whenever while you are working on that project.

It isn't a "one click" solution, I admit. But only a professional photographer NEEDS a one-click solution. For a hobbyist like myself, the enjoyment comes from working through the creative process - not from the end-result.

Peter

I am not sure if I am being an old dodo here and some may say I probably am. However, isn't it these creative aspects within PTE and other software that are open to an individuals interpretation and creativity? Isn't it these things that provide the interest, the variety and the charm of a well made slide show?

Perhaps its just me again being old and out of date, but I don't want my creativity delivered to me in a box, the same box delivered to everyone else too. If there's nothing to learn in our software because all eventualities have been catered for, it ain't worth having, because everyone else has it too.

Barry,

If you're an old dodo, can I join your "Old Dodo Club" please? :D I couldn't have put that better myself! Creativity comes out of our hearts and our brains - not out of our computers.

Peter

Gary,

...One approach using my suggested technique would be to: create your first slide by using a blank slide. Add as an independent object a Mask Container, using the Rectangular Mask, with the mask's parameters set to your liking. Zoom the mask (rectangle) to the size that you want. Add the first real image inside the Mask Container. Set your zooms and pans on that real image and make sure it is set as the "Main image". Now, from the Slide List, use CTRL+C/CTRL+V to copy and paste the slide. Select the second slide and use Change Main Image to drop in your next real image. Repeat the Paste, do the Change Main Image and adjust its Zoom and Pan.. For your Portrait images simply rotate the Mask Container through 90 degrees and contra-rotate your Main Image....

Peter

Peter,

I've been going through your suggestion. And YES, it work well. It took me a while to figure out the Mask but I think I did. However, one thing that puzzles me. When you 'Add Mask', the 'Size in Pixel' default is 512x512, and that is the maximum size. I was expecting to be able choose more like an '1920x1080' aspect ratio. So I figured that if I select '512x341', I'd get the correct aspect ratio (1.50) for my images. Then to get my 86% zoom that I am usingt, I just set its zoom to 86. Then I added the image to the 'Mask Container'. I can then create the animation that will be masked by the Mask (Rectangle). Works well.

One question...why does it only give a maximum '512x512' aspect ratio and not normal aspect ratios?

The only problem that I see is that you can not add a 'Common/Drop Shadow' to the 'Mask (Rectangle)'. If the Drop Shadow is added to the image, it disappears during the zoom or pan animation (moving with the image, but expected). But, this is a step in the right direction. Thanks for helping me understand how to use the 'Add Mask'.

Thanks... Gary

Added later: You might ask, why do I want to add the Drop Shadow to all my images? I had to do a lot of transforms and a bit of cropping so the sizes are just a bit different for most images. Putting in the mild Drop Shadow seems to help in the fade transitions to minimize these slight differences in image sizes.

post-1794-0-59832800-1404224546_thumb.jp

One question...why does it only give a maximum '512x512' aspect ratio and not normal aspect ratios?

That's really one for Igor to answer. However, by using the little button between the two Zoom fields you can stretch or shrink it along either axis.

Added later: You might ask, why do I want to add the Drop Shadow to all my images? I had to do a lot of transforms and a bit of cropping so the sizes are just a bit different for most images. Putting in the mild Drop Shadow seems to help in the fade transitions to minimize these slight differences in image sizes.

Study the "design" of each image and try using an appropriate Page transition. You can soften the edge of the wipe to suit your needs or your style. Also, the Shapes/Rectangle transition might be useful, and even the Circle.

Gary,

See my replies, embedded in the text above. If you are cropping most images, why not crop all to the same size or post-process the cropped images through a batch resize? It is so much easier to work with all your images at the same size.

Peter