WnSoft Forums

Problem of downloading with safe exe file created with PTE v8.0.9

Picsel

Hi Igor,

There is a problem when downloading a safe executable file created with PTE v8.0.9 from some hosting servers, which did not exist with previous versions.

One of our club member had uploaded such a zip file using Filezilla on an hosting server. Other members have tried to download this file without success : Filezilla displayed an error message saying : - 550 Can't open projectname.zip : no such file or directory - critical error with the file transfert. Then the server delete the file automatically.

I have made the same test with the same result on the same server.

It seems this happens with some servers and not with others (I have tried to download and upload the same file with another server without any

problem). So I can guess that could be a problem of security checking with some servers.

Do you know how to solve this problem ? Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I would test the Safe Executable File for Internet file by uploading to virustotal.com.

I did a simple test that was interesting. I uploaded a small .zip slideshow and had 2 false positives. I unzipped the file. I uploaded the .exe file. It had 3 false positives. I then uploaded the .pteshow and it passed with 0 false positives. So even though the .exe was properly code signed some of the AV tests thought it was a virus. It might be that the secure hash algorithm SHA1 is rapidly being replaced by SHA256 and so SHA1 is not trusted as much by AV software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1

I am really hoping that some day we have a PTE player so all we need to do is create .ptshow files.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your post; Yes, I am quite convinced that is a false positive answer.

But with the same server and so with the same antivirus engine, the exe files created by PTE v8.0.8 are accepted without any problem while, those created with PTE v8.0.9 are rejected and automatically erased by the server manager. So it seems that the origin of this new problem comes with the software modification inside the PTE v8.0.9 version. Igor is looking on this problem.

Best regards

Daniel

Thanks Igor for your reply.

So, we will send them a report following your suggestion.

But in the time between, our members ask how to come back to the previous version v8.0.8 after having installed v8.0.9.

During the Christmas time they are used to exchange their "Exe" greetings cards via our server

It seems that reinstalling v8.0.8 on top of v8.0.9, v8.0.9 remains active ; the same thing happens (they said) when they uninstall v8.0.9 and reinstall v8.0.8

I must confess that I did not make the test by myself.
Is there a very simple solution ?

Best regards

Daniel