WnSoft Forums

Definition of 'Slide'

Ray Groome

I have always thought of it as referring to the SLIDE (or the PROJECT) resolution.

With "Fixed size of slide" unticked a 1024x768 Slide (Project) will upscale to fit any screen which is larger than 1024x768.

With "Fixed size of slide" ticked a 1024x768 slide will display as 1024x768 on any screen larger than 1024x768 but will fit to any screen smaller than 1024x768.

7 hours ago, Ray Groome said:

Can I ask a 'silly question' ? What is the definition of a 'Slide' in pte.

Is it the 'container ' for an image?

Your advice ,please.

A computer scientist would call it a container, and that's what it is. But I think that a lot of users would not be happy with the notion of container. In my opinion the word slide is rather outdated. The French call it "vue" (view), which I like much more than slide. The worst situation is to be seen in the German UI of PTE, There the slide is translated by "Bild" (image), with the consequence that German users insert images (real images) into an image (slide). I would prefer to see the word "scene", which would mean that a PTE show would consist of a sequence of scenes and transitions between them.

Regards,
jt

6 hours ago, Ray Groome said:

May I ask another basic question:

In Project Options/Screen there is the term 'Virtual size of slide' -is this the size of the screen or the size of the slide?

I think that "Virtual size of slide" is one of the least understood concepts in PTE. It has been introduced when the so-called "Original mode" was cancelled. For a normal user the virtual size serves as input for an aspect ratio, for a show that shall not be restricted in scaling (see davegee's post above). But it has an additional effect. It serves as the reference value for the size/position tool in the O&A window. I myself have never used this feature. Maybe that a few French colleagues who build up scenes with lots of objects will use it?

Regards,
jt

You are right jt, but I always use 1920x1080 for the virtual size of slide because my screen and my TV are 1920x1080.

I often use the size/position tool in the O&A window:

to get the real size in pixels of a small png picture,

or to be sure the pan of a panoramic picture begin really at the left and end at the right side of this picture.

Denis

Hi jt,

For the virtual "Size of slide" I just put the values of my pictures, that is 1920x1080 or sometimes 1800x1200. I think it is of no importance as long as  the "Fixed size of slide" is not ticked.

Generally I prefer the pixel' values of the "Size/position in pixels of parent" window than the % of PAN' values, so this window is always open in O&A.

When I've a lot of objects to put with accuracy, the pixels values are much better than % values (easier to find !).  In this case I use a frame parent of 200x200. Then the values in % of PanX and PanY become the same exact values in pixel.

Regards

Jean-Cyprien