WnSoft Forums

Project Name not carried to Exe

Barry Beckham

This has happened to me on a few occasions:

While making a slide show and saving consecutive project file names ie slideshow 001, slideshow 002 etc. On making a slight change to the project I save a new project file, lets say to slideshow 003.

When I make a safe exe for PC, PTE tries to create slideshow 002 and not slideshow 003 from the project file just saved.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.04.2017 at 2:15 AM, Barry Beckham said:

This has happened to me on a few occasions:

While making a slide show and saving consecutive project file names ie slideshow 001, slideshow 002 etc. On making a slight change to the project I save a new project file, lets say to slideshow 003.

When I make a safe exe for PC, PTE tries to create slideshow 002 and not slideshow 003 from the project file just saved.

Hi Barry,

Thanks, 

I couldn't reproduce this problem. If you can, please send me a step-by-step instruction.

It's happened twice in different projects both larger ones, but not since I posted. No one else seems to have noticed it, so perhaps an issue my end.

I cant really say what I did apart from making an adjustment to the show project file, then saving it as slidehsow 007 when it was previously slideshow 006. Then creating a safe show for Internet and although the project file was version 007, Pte wanted to create 006

• 5 weeks later...

My understanding of the way this works is as follows:

The project file contains two entries which record the path and file name of the last executable file and last safe executable file that has been created. When a new project is created these are blank. When you attempt to publish a show, these will be the the suggested file names, unless the entries are blank, in which case the program suggests the name of the project file as the name of the executable. Therefore you would not normally expect the expect the name of the suggested executable file to be the same as the project.

The entries in the project file are only updated when the project file is saved after an executable file has been created. If you open slideshow 006, which contains entries recording the last executable as slideshow 006.zip, modify it and save it as slideshow 007.pte, then the entries still point to slideshow 006.zip. So when you create an executable file, the program suggests slideshow 006.zip. If you manually change the name to slideshow 007.zip and create it, you then need to save the project file again to record this change. This is the explanation of the prompt, stating that the project has changed, that appears when you attempt to close a project after creating an exe file, even though you have saved the project file immediately before creating the exexutable file.

Hope this may explain the mysterious behaviour.

Nah, that's not right. I made 52 versions (projects) and most acted the same as PTE always has. Once a project is updated and saved, the Exe should reflect the new name.

However, I have not seen this since then, so best forget it until it arises again. If no one else sees this then it could be some glitch on my machine.

It has only ever occurred on a multi track and more complex slide show (The PTE 9 Promo)

No I agree my previous post was not correct. Apologies for getting confused (and for the typos). After some more tests I am confident that the answer lies in a difference in behaviour between creating an executable and a safe executable. I have revised  my previous post as follows.

The project file contains two entries which record the path and file name of the last executable file and last safe executable file that has been created. In a new project these are blank. When you attempt to publish a show, these will be the suggested file names, unless the entries are blank, in which case the program suggests the name of the project file as the name of the executable or safe executable.

The entries in the project file are updated when the project file is saved after an executable file has been created. This is the explanation of the prompt, stating that the project has changed, that appears when you attempt to close a project after creating an exe file, even though you have saved the project file immediately before creating the executable file.

The entry for the last executable file is also cleared when the project is saved under another name. However the entry for the safe executable is not cleared.

Therefore if you open slideshow 006.pte, containing an entry recording the last safe executable as slideshow 006.zip, modify it and save it as slideshow 007.pte, then the entry still points to slideshow 006.zip. So when you create a safe executable file, the program suggests slideshow 006.zip.

However if you open slideshow 006.pte, containing an entry recording the last normal executable as slideshow 006.exe, modify it and save it as slideshow 007.pte, then the entry is cleared. When you try to create an executable file, the program sees the entry is blank and therefore suggests slideshow 007.exe, the name of the project file.

To demonstrate this, create a new project. Save it as Project1.pte. Make an executable called Project1.exe  and a safe executable called Project1.zip. Save the project as Project 2.pte. Attempt to create an executable. The suggested file name will be Project2.exe. Attempt to create a safe executable. The suggested file name will be Project1.zip. This happens consistently with PTE version 9 and version 8.

Personally I don’t think the name of the executable should be cleared when the project is saved under another name. In other words the behaviour for normal executables should be the same as for safe executables.