WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe v4.00 beta #1

Igor

We are glad to introduce the first beta of PicturesToExe v4.00:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr_beta.zip (1,25 Mb)

This version works much faster than all previous versions of PicturesToExe. And presentations created with v4.00 will start in several times faster. The new version contains a lot of new features and improvements.

PicturesToExe has simple and intuitive interface, so creating of a presentation is very easy. All you have to do is choose some pictures (in JPG, GIF or BMP format). PicturesToExe will produce single EXE file, which contains all images inside. No additional programs (including PicturesToExe itself) are needed to run resulting presentation - only that stand-alone EXE file. And it will work under Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000 and XP. If your demands are a bit higher, PicturesToExe allows you to make much more attractive presentations, than simply changing slides. You can customize each slide by specifying background color or picture, adding comments, sounds, objects. Moreover, it's possible to use different cinematographic transition effects between slides, add background music (in MP3, WAV or MIDI format). And ability to exactly synchronize show of slides to music, placing points on the time-line. If it is necessary, you are able to protect your presentation by password and assign expiration date. Presentations can be automatic (by timer) or controlled manually, run once or continuously. If you prefer, you can create SCR files (instead of EXE), and use your presentations as a standard Windows screen savers. The program has multi-language interface (19 languages are supported now).

What's new in PicturesToExe v4.00:

+ Fixed several minors bugs

+ Preview of large images works much faster now (with same quality) in

the Main window of PicturesToExe and "Customize Synchronization" window.

+ Improved quality and speed of full-screen viewer of images (Main window).

+ Improved quality of gradient filling of background, if screen in Hi-Color (16-bit) mode.

+ Improved shadow for the main picture:

> It looks much smoothly now;

> You can adjust opacity of shadow behind the main picture. (Project options |

"Screen" tab | "Opacity". From 0 of full transparency to 255 of opacity;

> The shadow can surround picture around all sides (see "Offset" parameter).

+ New default an icon for newly created .exe file of presentation.

Also the main icon of PicturesToExe is improved.

+ Added new option: "Auto hide mouse cursor" (Project options | "Advanced" tab)

+ Some improvements in "Main" and "Advanced" tabs of the Project options.

+ Visual Editor of objects is vastly improved:

* Fixed several bugs;

> Added support for transparent GIF pictures (as objects of slide);

> You can call "Properties" dialog for a some object by double clicking of mouse;

> It's possible to cancel dragging of a object by pressing of <Esc> key;

> To select/deselect several objects, click on an each necessary object holding <Shift> key;

> To select all objects, press Ctrl+A;

> Added "Undo" button to cancel last modification;

> Added Copy/Paste functions (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V)

> Improved popup menu when you click right mouse button on the object(s)

> Added hot keys for all actions (see popup menu above)

> And some other helpful improvements.

+ Produced presentations will start faster now.

Especially large presentations start in several times faster!

+ "Preview" of presentation starts faster

+ PicturesToExe (main window) opens projects much faster

+ Time-line graphically displays effect duration for the transition points

+ Various improvements in interface of the program

p.s. please notice that it is a first beta yet, and it doesn't contain completed features of v4.00

Thanks also Igor. Downloaded. So far so good. Liked the shaded portion on the time-line showing the effect duration of transitions.

Ron [uK]

Igor,

I noticed two anomalies. There now seems to be just an open and close parentheses following the effect duration value on the Customize Slide Effects tab. And the effect for the first slide is not shaded on the timeline.

I liked the shading on the timeline for the effects.

<< please notice that it is a first beta yet, and it doesn't contain completed features of v4.00 >>

PLEASE tell me that there is going to be a full-screen "preview from a specified point" in this release!! I think that is EXTREMELY important!!

Harold

PLEASE tell me that there is going to be a full-screen "preview from a specified point" in this release!! I think that is EXTREMELY important!!

Of course! I shall add it.

p.s. in beta #1 it works for not synchronized presentations (select some slide in the Slide List and then look on the button at right-bottom corner of the preview area). I'm working now to finish preview from any slide and for sync'ed slide-shows.

Igor, you're doing a great job! Thanks so much for the revised PTE. And, best of all, it's free! (for us present users, anyway.)

I love the addition of the shaded transition markers on the timeline - it makes it so much easier to plan for the positioning of the transitions, even if we still have to exit the window to change the actual values of their durations (next beta version??? :D )

I also like the addition of a second main topic in the forum - this is a great step forward toward giving us what so many members are requesting (i.e. sub-categories) :)

Keep up the good work!

Ciao,

Al

From HaroldB post:

I noticed two anomalies. There now seems to be just an open and close parentheses following the effect duration value on the Customize Slide Effects tab. And the effect for the first slide is not shaded on the timeline.

Thanks Igor !! Appreciate the work and all the effort that goes into keeping a bunch of demanding people happy !!!

In addition to Harold's post re his two anomalies, I would like to add one more and a comment:

The transition time for a "cut" shows as shadow on the time line for what looks like 1.5 seconds, when really it is instanteous. But if you change the transition to a fade and show 20ms, then the time line looks right and the "cut" transtion still works.

Maybe there is someway to show "cuts" with no shadow ?

The comment is that I mis-read (over-anticipated :D:) ) the changes as I was expecting the transition to be "editable" from the time line, without having to go back to the custom edit slide screen. (see Al Robin's comments as well)

Again

THANKS

Just beautiful, Igor. Nice work.

Have to say, I LOVE the double-click to edit properties in the Object Editor.

My remaining wishes:

- Number slides in slide list

- Allow selection of multiple slides in slide list (to move or delete, at least)

Thanks for all your great efforts!!

Dana

Just noticed something else in 4.0

The show's exe file is retaining the ".pte" in its name.

For example the exe file for a show called "mypteshow":

- in previous releases was "mypteshow.exe"

- in 4.0 it is "mypteshow.pte.exe"

Not a problem, just different

Jim Robertson

Just noticed something else in 4.0

The show's exe file is retaining the ".pte" in its name.

For example the exe file for a show called "mypteshow":

- in previous releases was "mypteshow.exe"

- in 4.0 it is "mypteshow.pte.exe"

Not a problem, just different

Jim Robertson

:D

Mea Culpa !!!!!!

Looks like I spoke to soon, the "different" naming appears to have been me. It has not happened on further testing.

Sorry

Here's another request... simple I would think...

Right now you can click to have PTE display the length of the music track. (Show music duration) How about the time each slide will be displayed for when Sync to Music Duration is selected? (Slide Duration) Obviously the program must calculate this in order for it to work - (Music Duration divided by Number of slides = Slide Duration) yes? Why not let us see this number somewhere? You could even have Sec and Milliseconds display now at the bottom of the Main Tab display it once the music was selected and the Synchronize Slideshow box was checked.

Igor:

You asked about loading times for large files with the new 4.0.

The largest show I have right now is 10 minutes, 99 images with a 14MB sound file. Exe file is 26MB. I have not noticed an appreciably shorter load time from either a CD or the hard drive compared to 3.8.

It takes about 1-3 seconds. (not a problem)

I have a P3, 256 RAM, 400hz (?)

Not sure if that helps you any.

Jim Robertson

win xp home

256 ram

1.3 gig/hz

show size 23.1 mb size on disk

comprised of

6 mp3's

239 images

compiled with ver 4.0 beta 1

1.79 sec's+- startup time

but the same show done with 3.8 and the picts are +- 15% larger in size --25.6 mb size on the disc was basically the same start up time -- too close to call

pretty quick -- my old hands could hardly click the clicker on the stopwatch fast enough

now dont get the calculators out to check my figgers ;)

ken

Igor - just wanted to add my belated thanks for the transition shadow on the timeline. This is a huge improvement and allows instant identification of any timing errors. Well done!

I second the point made about the missing shadow for the first slide, though once you know about it its easy to work around.

Also - If you need to move a slide that has accidentally been added inside a transition period, the tail end of the shadow (ie to the right of the slide insertion point) gets clipped and is dragged to the right along with the slide. This doesn't have any effect on the finished show, but looks a bit confusing on the timeline.

I guess the best thing is not to accidentally insert slides there in the first place!

Ian

Igor, I made a very large EXE file, 163 MB (206 pictures = about 33 MB, 2 WAV files in synchronized soundtrack = 130 MB). Duration 26 min. 3 sec.

My machine: P2 450 with 384 Ram - Windows 2000Pro

Free memory before running EXEs: 141 MB

Loading time of EXE made with 3.80: about 19 sec.

Loading time of EXE made with 3.90: about 17 sec.

(average of 5 measurements)

Thank You Igor for all your hard work making Pictures to Exe even better than ever.

"please notice that it is a first beta yet, and it doesn't contain completed features of v4.00"

I can't wait to see all the completed features of v4.00.

I am enjoying testing out the new version and especially like the new timeline shadow.

Best wishes

Maureen

:unsure:

:P Igor, I really like what you did thus far with the beta 1 version!!

It is so easy to create a presentation and preview anywhere you want without going to the beginning of the presentation. This is what I always wated!!