WnSoft Forums

Problem with PTE invading my computer: all photos have PTE symbol on them [SOLVED]

carolphoto

I think this may require Igor Kokorev's assistance.

I downloaded the Trial Version of PTE AV Studio Pro a couple of days ago.  Since then, in my stored photos on my hard drive, all the photos have the PTE symbol, and every time I click on one of them, it opens a new project in PTE AV Studio Pro.  I can't just click on a photo and have it fill the screen.  I also tried to select photos to put in a new folder, and the same thing happened.  I have done nothing such as selecting all photos and applying something to them to cause this.

I have Windows 10 installed on my computer, as of about a month ago.  I also have my own copy of PTE 7.5 on the computer (Dell computer).

Here is a print screen showing what has happened.  It is a list of single JPG photos in a folder, all with the PTE symbol in front of them.  Every photo in my hard drive has the same symbol, and the same problems mentioned above.  If I click on it, it opens a new PTE project!

Please tell me what to do to correct the problem.  This is very serious.

With thanks,

Carol

PTE problem all photos are PTE.png

Carol, when you installed the PTE trial, you apparently clicked on a choice that made PTE the selected viewer for all you photos. It's not a PTE thing, it's a Windows thing. Here is the solution:

Lin

open the Control Panel and go to DefaultPrograms > Set Default Programs. Find Windows Photo Viewer in the list of programs, click it, and choose Set this program as default. This will set theWindows Photo Viewer as the default program for all file types it can open by default.

• Igor changed the title to Problem with PTE invading my computer: all photos have PTE symbol on them [SOLVED]

Hi Carol,

I'm glad that you solved this problem. We didn't hear about similar problem earlier. Because PTE AV Studio can associate only with .pte project files which are created in this program. Not with image files. Probably it's a some glitch in Windows.

Lin,

Thanks for your help.

Thank you, Lin and Igor. 

What Lin told me to do solved the problem instantly.  Tracing back to when this happened, it wasn't when I installed the trial version, but when I tried to load the template with the revolving Rubix Cube and the mirror into the Pro version of PTE AV.  (And maybe the trial version does not permit introducing new templates into it.)  I have had trouble loading templates in any case, but with the drop-down menu, I was able to find PTE AV.  When I clicked on it, there was a question: "Do you want to open all files like this with PTE AV?"  Sounded like the solution, as it seemed to apply to templates, not individual photos.  But then I later saw the little bird on all of my photos, and when I tried to open one, it would instantly open PTE AV.  On top of that, because of the default setting in Windows 10 (which I installed only a few weeks ago), I could only see a landscape icon for each photo.  By Googling the problem, I was finally able to see the photos and not the icons.  The file path for this is, from my whole folder for photos in Windows:

File> Folder Options> View>  and then uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails".

Thanks for your help!

Carol

For Lin and Igor:

I just found the exact question in Windows 10 when I was trying to open a PTE AV Studio template: it was "Always use this app to open .pte files".  As mentioned above, I thought it would apply only to templates, and checked it.

I am finding it very hard to bring in a template in either PTE 7.5 or the trial version.  I can find lots of templates to try, and then cannot try them.  Could you please direct me to the procedure for this?

Thanks,

Carol

Hi Carol,

Just a quick few words to add to what Dave G has said.

A "template" in the relevant sense means a PTE file in which the user substitutes their own images or "objects" for the ones in the template. This can be done either of two ways. One way which you have used with theDom's cube template is to rename your own six square images to the names used by theDom in his PTE file (template). The other way is to use the Objects and Animations screen's "Properties" tab. First click on the object you want to substitute with your own image or object,  then choose the "picture" button, click on the little down arrow to the right. Navigate to where you have your own image stored, click on your image and then on O.K. and your own image (such as one of the sides of a cube) will be substituted for the one in the "template.' Continue this until all the necessary original template images have been replaced with your own then save the PTE file under a new name.

When dealing with "styles" it's a different approach entirely. My suggestion for you would be to create a folder on your preferred hard disk called "styles and transitions." When you download a new style (the file with the extension .ptestyle) put it in this folder. Likewise with new transition files (files with the extension .pteeff). Then when you want to add a style or transition you navigate to the folder "styles and transitions" and chose the appropriate one. Once it imports, you will find the style under the category according to the author of the style and you simply select the image or images necessary and then "apply" this style to get the desired result. For transitions, once they have been imported, they will appear along with default transitions when you choose a transition via the "slide options."

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Dave and Lin,

I finally understood that I have to start from a ptestyle or template saved in a Windows folder, as you have suggested.  Before that I would open a project and try to import the template, and that didn't work.  I did manage to use a Cut Out Text style in PTE AV Studio 10 Pro, but the rotating Rubix cube with a mirror style that Lin demonstrated (RubicCubeV1 ptestyle) would only open in my owned PTE 7.5 (warning of missing images, and even though I put in my own images, the blue band stayed and it was a mess when viewed) and would not open with the trial PTE AV Studio 10 Pro.  

I'm wondering if I do buy the Studio 10, if this confusion will continue.  I think I need to keep the 7.5 version to modify any shows I've made with it.  Or will I be able to do that with Studio 10?  Does it overwrite 7.5?

Many thanks,

Carol

Hi Carol,

All previous shows made with any version of PTE will open and can be modified and saved with PTE AV Studio 10 or 10 Pro. Once they have been saved with version 10 they can't be opened in previous versions.

There really should not be any confusion if you carefully follow the examples. Save your styles and transitions in a folder on your hard drive and use this content when you import. When doing the Rubik's Cube animation, be certain that you have a 16:9 aspect ratio background image and that this image is number one in the slide list. Be certain that you have six "square" images for the sides and be certain that you select all seven images (the background image in position one and the six square images) before applying the style and it will work perfectly, every time.

Best regards,

LIn

A big thank you to Lin, Igor, Henry and Dave for all your help.  I finally managed after days of trying to produce the Rubik's Cube.  I had decided that your were all magic and that it was never going to happen.  But it's so easy once you know how! 

And very important, thanks to Jean-Cyprien for creating the template for it.  Wow!

Carol