WnSoft Forums

GoPro Image Stabilization Question

tom95521

I have a seldom used 2 year old Yi 4K action camera (GoPro clone). Recently started e-biking and thought I would try to capture video. I notice image stabilization problems on rough country roads. I am thinking of upgrading to a GoPro 10 and use hypersmooth or reelsteady to stabilize the video. Also I am upgrading my e-bike seat with suspension system that might help.

Does anyone have a GoPro and have they created biking or hiking videos?  How is your stabilization compared to the video below. Some of the YouTube videos look amazing but never sure if they give impartial reviews or payed influencers.

Thanks,
Tom

Yi 1080p/30 Chest Mount

Hi Rosy,

Good idea. I will do more research. I assumed the GoPro had the best stabilization, but maybe there is a less expensive option that has better stabilization than my existing camera.

Thanks,
Tom

I decided to order the GoPro. I wanted the option to overlay gauges like speed and elevation using GPMF data embedded in the video or imported from a data logger on my smartphone.

Thanks,
Tom

Yes.  The GoPro Volta adds about 4 hours of recording time (if your memory card is large enough). Some people have had problems with the USB interface not working as a remote, with the bluetooth still working. It's supposed to be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/volta/APHGM-001-master.html

Also the 155 deg. FOV max lens mod for maximum hypersmooth and level correction.
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/max-lens-mod/ADWAL-001.html

Tom

Hi Gary & Tom

Gary What type of suspension have you got on your bike, have you a close up picture of it, are the roads urban suburban or country trails? Tom difficult to compare without knowing the quality of the road surface.

Rosy.

Rosy.... The only 'suspension' it has is the shock absorber over the front wheel. Pretty standard, I think. Nothing else . The road surface is just the normal asphalt, mostly smooth. But the GoPro was on a chest mount so that helped somewhat to avoid shakes, I'd think. And the Black7 does have Stabilization.

Gary

My GoPro and accessories arrived a couple of days ago. Busy with a room remodel so I just opened the box this morning. Missing the 64 GB microSD memory card (new card arrives on Tuesday). I also have a dual camera mount so I should be able to compare videos from both cameras.  My bike is a hardtail (no rear shock absorbers). I have a couple of seats with seat posts. One of them has an elastomer shock absorber seat and linkage seat post suspension system (SunTour NCX). 

Tom

Hi Guys

Interesting experiment! Gary on your video I noticed vibration when you went across the Zebra crossing, plus the smaller picture size would cut down visible vibration effect, whereas Tom's is full screen. Be interesting to see Tom's results from his GP10 Black.

Rosy

Rosy,

Yea, the Stabilization of the Black7 GoPro is pretty good but not perfect. The GoPro10 should be better. Hope Tom will give us a preview. I've been thinking of getting the 10 but I see the 11 is coming out in September (?).

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/gopro-hero-11-what-we-know-so-far

Here is another video I took on my bike, and sped up the video (in PTE).

https://www.facebook.com/gary.oddi/videos/10214048050269550

Gary

6 hours ago, rosy said:

Hi Gary

I remember that one from way back, was the GP hand held or fixed to car? Looks like it was hand held as there is one poing where you hit a bump, the car rocks but the picture doesn't?

Rosy.

Greetings Rosy,

Hard to remember. I noticed that too. But I was certainly was not holding it as I drove. My wife could not be holding it that still either. So it must have been either held pressed against the dash or I used a window attachment (suction cup). But what might be happening is that the camera's 'stabilization', which reduces some of the outer section of the video to provide for the stabilization function, might must be repositioning the image as it is being taken, using the outer portion of the image as a buffer. Just guessing...

Gary

3 hours ago, rosy said:

Hi Gary

To me it looks like the camera is on a gimbal of some sort?

Rosy.

Greetings,

Nope...no gimbal. Just suction-cupped to the windshield or held down on the dash. Just can't remember exactly. But, taking another look at it, it shows too much of the top of the dashboard and hood of the car so it must have been just setting on the dashboard, held down by my wife...

Gary

Kind of busy but a short after dinner ride to test the new camera. I think the rattle sound is from the front LED light bouncing off the rack when going over a slight bump in the road. I will try to do a real road test and a dual camera test soon. The camera does get warm. The user interface has many more options than my Yi camera. From my limited testing I think the hypersmooth works better than the Yi image stabilization.

Tom

4K 30 Hypersmooth High

https://gopro.com/v/m0QDlGNBZbXLO

Hi Rosy,

I'm still learning the GoPro Quik app on my smartphone. I  forgot to mention you could download the mp4 from the GoPro website (click on 3 dots in lower right corner). Here is the YT version that has the full 4K version. Also the media info.

Thanks,
Tom

mediainfo.txt