WnSoft Forums

GoPro Image Stabilization Question

tom95521

Short video. Still learning about GoPro editing. Unfortunately due to operator error (me) my Yi camera did not record when dual mounted with the GoPro so I used a previous Yi video from a few days before in the same area (notice the white truck in the upper left change). Also the cameras need to be tilted up higher. The GoPro records in HEVC at 45 Mbps and splits videos into 4 GB segments. The Yi records H.264 45 Mbps but not limited to 4 GB file size.  Both cameras were set to 4K 24 fps. I think there are advantages to capturing at 24 fps like more light on the sensor and fewer frames to stabilize. The 4K quality out of the GoPro camera viewed on a 4K monitor is amazing. I re-encoded the video 2 times (GoPro player trim and PTE mask) and then uploaded to YT so there is some loss of detail in the video.

The hypersmooth gyro stabilization does a very good job. The fine grain in the road is easier to see on the GoPro and the colors more saturated. I might do another video comparing GyroFlow, ReelSteady, FinalCut Pro, and Davinci Resolve stabilization software when I have time. I should also test the wide angle max lens mod for the GoPro.

Tom

Hi Tom

Definitely looks better on the GoPro. The difference in brightness maybe due to recording on different days? I'm sure you will crack it with dual simultaneous recordings. Just back from a mad 1/2 hour with my Panasonic  DCG 100 strapped to the mobility scooter in the woods, will PM the results.

Rosy.

HI Rosy,

I was thinking maybe cloud cover but where we live it hardly ever changes in summer. Overcast in the mornings, sometimes clearing up if there is enough wind in the afternoons. Our average summer temperature near the Pacific ocean is usually less than 70F/21C. If you want higher temperatures you have to travel inland a few miles to a higher elevation above the reflective cloud cover.

I will try to make a proper 2 camera comparison in the near future so the same amount of light is on both cameras. Looking forward to viewing your video.

Thanks,
Tom

Testing continues. I thought the Yi supported image stabilization at 4K but I was wrong. I will need to reshoot video at 1080p instead of 4K. The GoPro 10 continues to amaze me in video quality. I am impressed with the stabilization and dynamic range while heading into the sun with shadows from the trees. There is some curvature due to the wide angle lens that could be corrected by either shooting linear or shooting native sensor 4:3 AR and applying ReelSteady that corrects for wide angle lens distortion and crops to 16:9.

Nice morning for a bike ride. Clear sky and cool weather.

4K/30
HEVC 44 Mbps

Tom

If you want a wide cinematic look, get an anamorphic lens for the GoPro.  Amazon has a nice one for the 9 and 10 that is quite reasonably priced.  I personally like that wide screen look and have an anamorphic lens for both my GoPro and iPhone.  It does require one to adjust the x zoom in post by multiplying it by 1.33 and leaving the y zoom at native resolution.  No big deal and well worth the extra bit of math.

Is this the lens? I will do some more research about lens options for the camera. I have the max lens mod but the gyro image stabilization seems fine without using it.

https://www.skyreat.com/product/skyreat-1-33x-anamorphic-lens-compatible-with-gopro-hero-9/

https://www.amazon.com/Anamorphic-Compatible-Filmmakers-Cinematic-Accessories/dp/B093WD4CS1/

Thanks,
Tom

19 minutes ago, tom95521 said:

Is this the lens? I will do some more research about lens options for the camera. I have the max lens mod but the gyro image stabilization seems fine without using it.

https://www.skyreat.com/product/skyreat-1-33x-anamorphic-lens-compatible-with-gopro-hero-9/

https://www.amazon.com/Anamorphic-Compatible-Filmmakers-Cinematic-Accessories/dp/B093WD4CS1/

Thanks,
Tom

Yes, that's the one I have for my GoPro.  I got mine from Amazon.  Unfortunately, B&H didn't have it, so I couldn't use my PayBoo card to save the sales tax.  Check out the reviews of anamorphic lenses on YouTube to see if it does what you want. (Most reviews are for iPhone, but the basics are the same.)  You do have to use the straight on GoPro option because the wide angle options show the lens edges.

Hi Rosy,

I have a GoPro sticky mount for my bike helmet. Stay tuned for further testing. I think the Yi will be my 1080 rear facing camera on the bike if I can get it to stabilize the video. I can overlay it in a corner of my GoPro video.

I hope all is well and wish you a speedy recovery.

Tom

Testing under bike seat camera. Another typical overcast day. The bumpy road on last section of video is scheduled to be resurfaced (notice spray paint on underground utilities) after environmental impact reports/coastal permits are approved.

I find the GoPro attachment system challenging. It relies on compression to apply friction to a smooth plastic surface. The problem is if you have a plastic arm attached to the camera it can act as a lever and rotate the camera when hitting bumps in the road. Poor design. The only solution I can think of is to glue the plastic so it can not rotate. Also when the Yi camera is mounted upside down (beneath the bike seat) it does not sense the orientation so the date stamp should not be used. The Yi image stabilization does seem to be working at 1080/60 or it might just be the leverage suspension seat post.

Tom

Hi Rosy,

No. I didn't shave my arms. :)

I only waited until HD was processed before posting to the forum. YT processes SD, the HD, then 4K. I checked and 4K is available now, but you might have to select it using the gear icon, quality setting. The other reason is the overcast sky is a diffused light source, with low contrast, and not many shadows. 

Running out of cameras so I bought another budget action camera for my helmet to place in upper left corner of video.:) $90 and it's supposed to have 6 axis EIS. At first I was going to buy the GA320 but the GA400 video quality and EIS has improved.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09J4RZFLD/

Tom