WnSoft Forums

How can one pre-calculate exact Pan/Zoom figures to see how many Images/Video can appear

Xenofex2

I am looking for help in understanding how to make accurate pre-calculations for the Pan and Zoom figures when wishing to place numerous Images/Videos onto a Slide .

I have a program that can animate facial still images into a short 512 x 512 video and with the resulting movie clip, have put together three rows of head movement on one Slide, each row having the same head movement. Now I know I need to tidy up positioning, but what if I wanted to increase the number of movies in a row, and number of rows I can use, surely one can calculate beforehand and not use trial and error?

Whilst I have, and just using my existing Grid settings, placed three rows of six moving faces, the exact (or nearly exact) placement of each, as can be seen by my attachment, has been done by trial and error. And then what happens if I would like a border around the outside, how can I plan out the positions beforehand? I believe the Pan number relates to the top left point of one’s Image/Video but even looking at my figures, I cannot get my head around as how to accurately organise a slide containing lots of these short videos .

Now I know that I have to make numerous adjustments to my existing attempt, but was hoping to have one of those moments where the ‘fog’ lifts and that I can then work out beforehand how many images/video I can get on a page in relation to how big the image/video is.

2022-12-29 15 43 36.jpg

It will depend on your Project aspect ratio
I assume you are using 16:9  with a final output size of 1920 x 1080 ?

If your videos are all 512x512 then I think it is just a case of doing some math!!

Each Object has the Centre point at 0:0 and if it is also 1920x1080 then at 100% will fill the frame.
I never actually look at the numbers & like you have done it by trial & error until it looks right.

I did do something similar a couple of years ago & ended up creating an image in Photoshop which had coloured rectangles for each video to the size I wanted.
I then just adjusted the images/videos in PTE to fit over the spaces.
Once I had it how I wanted I then removed the background image.

I am sure that those who do work by numbers rather than visually will come up with a method of calculating it.

Jill

Just out of interest in case happens to anyone else, I opened another browser. logged back in (after logging out of the other browser page) and finally was able to download your PTE example.

I then took a screenshot of your PTE file, printed and then noted on it, your Pan & Zoom figures. I do though find it quite interesting to compare your figures with my 'trial and error attempt.  

I really need to study your 'calculations' table in more depth to try and understand how they are obtained. Those Pan figures seem so complicated.

I am also curious about the Zoom calculation, 1920 / 6 etc and that it comes to 29.6296. However the Zoom figures on your own PTE project is 26.389 whereas mine vary between 29.513 and 30.009. My own Top Row of six Videos that have my highest Zoom figure of 30.009, are all butt jointed together but do have a small black border at the extreme right and left, so presumably in theory I could increase the Zoom aspect a bit more.  

Maths was always my best subject years and years ago at school so these calculations certainly have me intrigued. I just love the challenge and would like to try and find out if the Zoom aspect of all were reduced, how many extra rows could I include and how many extra images per row.

I may be out on a limb here, but could this mathematical formula be more time and trouble than it’s worth. I am not a mathematical type of person, so perhaps I am missing something.

AV is a creative process and it’s not such a long job to lay out 18 shapes on a page

Hi,

The calculation of the zoom is not very difficult.

The screen is 1920 px large. If you have 6 squares, each square is 1920/6=320 px large.

When you download the square image (of 512 px or other dimension) it take the all height space, that is 1080 px.

320px represents 100*320/1080=29.6296  ~ 29.63 %

All the values of zoom of my first vue are 29.63 % or 320 px

In my second vue I reduce the dimension of the square to 285 px that is 100*285/1080=26.3888 %

You can have 4 rows of 1080/4=270 px squares, of 7 squares.

So you'll have very small black bands of 15 px on the left and right sides

It was my choice for my blocks set.

Thankyou Jean-Cyprien, I now need to take time out to study your calculations and reasoning. Well that is my homework for today. Appreciated.

Barry, although you suggest that it is not a long job to lay out 18 images on a page, it was as a result of my ‘trial and error’ attempt, plus wondering that if I made the images/video even smaller as to how many could I actually fit on the page, that I then looked for a formula for how to calculate.

For example, with the smallest border around the edge possible, if an Image/Video was reduced to X x X size, then I could fit in, say, 18 Images/Video on each row and, say instead of three rows, now have eight (or more). If this was possible then there would be 144 heads all moving in unison. But how many could I fit in a row and how many rows could I have for the best fit with 512 by 512 video? That was my train of thought!

Then I suggest it would be a long job in placement of each individual Image/Video and so I was looking for a more mathematical solution in order to obtain accuracy for positioning and determining the zoom ratio’s.  

Now I am going to study Jean-Cyprien’s reply.