WnSoft Forums

Exe vs. MP4 image and transition quality

Jeff Nadler

I will be showing a production of blended photos and video with music on a Windows PC with an HDMI connection to a digital projector to an audience. Is there a difference in viewing quality including transitions between publishing as an exe file vs. an MP4 file?  Since the save rime is dramatically different, I would guess the MP4 format is better? Which should I choose? I have sized all photos as 1920 x 1080 or double that if using styles. Thank you.

The answer rather depends on the laptop that will be playing your presentation. If it’s old it could struggle to play either file type. Best to make an MP4 and an Exe.

If you are able to try the laptop beforehand, then take that opportunity to avoid embarrassment.

I have found no difference between MP4 & exe and run lots of events & competitions

The reason an MP4 takes longer to Publish is that it has to render every Frame in the AV.
Render at 60p for best quality & smoothness.

A lot of competitions are now specifying MP4, but be aware the file sizes can be larger although not always.

If it is your laptop then turn off any Antivirus checks before running your show as this can delay playing if it runs checks on all files first, especially for exe's

Jill