WnSoft Forums

Copyright issues...

goddi

Greetings,

I am having problems with music I’ve used in PTE shows. According to the site where I got the music, it is copyright free. However, it has been dinged by Facebook. But when uploaded to my YouTube channel, it shows no restrictions for the music. Also, when I upload the show to AudibleMagic, that checks on copyrights, it is approved to use. This happens many times.

The Facebook ding shows this:

YT-copyright.thumb.jpg.f566771266afe3964bbb372b59f2433f.jpg

Seems like Facebook just automatically adds this notice arbitrarily. And it does not make much sense. First of all, there are no links to challenge the ding. The ‘Restore Audio’ and ‘Post Muted’ links are dead. And when I play the show, nothing is muted.

And who are these 45 and more countries? Also, it says it ‘…removed from 3 minutes and 10 seconds of your video.’ The actual music, a single file, lasts over 5 minutes. So none of this makes sense.

Do I ignore the Facebook ding? Does it really matter?

What is also weird is that some shows will not be dinged on Facebook. But the same show posted on YouTube my channel will show a copyright notice saying ‘Copyright-protected content found. The owner allows the content to be used on YouTube.’

There seems to be no consistency. Can anyone explain the Facebook ding about the video being muted in over 45 countries, while YouTube and AudibleMagic don’t show a copyright problem?

Choosing background music for PTE shows is one of the hardest parts and important parts of making the show. I can spend more time trying to find appropriate and non-copyrighted music than putting together the show. I understand that some people claim they own the music just to get monetary results. But this Facebook ding seems impossible to deal with.
Gary

Hi Gary

I don't post shows on Facebook or Audible Magic, so I've never suffered from what's happening to you. I do get loads of flags on YT as I use copyright music most of the time. I don't have a paid YT account, so mostly YT says I don't have to do anything, but my show may not be visible in certain countries. However, last month I got a YT message that one of my shows had been flagged & if I didn't remove it my channel would receive a black flag. The show was the one about buying the Go Pro Black & I smelled that GoPro had a hand in what YT had done, so I removed it as I didn't want my channel black flagged.

To get around what's happening with your shows on FB or AM, if you must post your shows in so many places, can you not just post a link to them on FB & AM?

Last week I got a YT Thumbs Up for my channel & was offered some vouchers to get money off various products, I declined.

Rosy.

Hi Gary,

Try to publish shows/videos on YouTube and then embedd/link on Facebook.

Check our links for royalty-free MP3 music. Thousands tracks in 3 large libraries:

https://www.wnsoft.com/en/pte-av-studio/royalty-free-music/

Another option - Vimeo. Also I saw recently a show shared through MS OneDrive - a video can be played on a website, no need to download the file.

12 hours ago, rosy said:

Hi Gary

I don't post shows on Facebook or Audible Magic, so I've never suffered from what's happening to you. I do get loads of flags on YT as I use copyright music most of the time. I don't have a paid YT account, so mostly YT says I don't have to do anything, but my show may not be visible in certain countries. However, last month I got a YT message that one of my shows had been flagged & if I didn't remove it my channel would receive a black flag. The show was the one about buying the Go Pro Black & I smelled that GoPro had a hand in what YT had done, so I removed it as I didn't want my channel black flagged.

To get around what's happening with your shows on FB or AM, if you must post your shows in so many places, can you not just post a link to them on FB & AM?

Last week I got a YT Thumbs Up for my channel & was offered some vouchers to get money off various products, I declined.

Rosy.

Greetings Rosy,

The AudibleMagic site is only used to check if an audio file is copyright'd or not. It is not for posting or hosting of videos. I used to use it for a long time but it seemed to have been removed for such use some time ago. I just happened to try it again and it seems to be functioning again. It is good to use because you can test your music or video file before you put it up on FB or YT. I don't have a paid or monetized account, either FB or YT.

If you just post a link on FB to a PTE show, you still have to have the show hosted on some other site, which I don't have. I just enjoy making the PTE shows of my travels and events and put them on my FB page. I put some on my YT channel for my family/friends who refuse to open a FB account.

Gary

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Hi Gary,

Try to publish shows/videos on YouTube and then embedd/link on Facebook.

Check our links for royalty-free MP3 music. Thousands tracks in 3 large libraries:

https://www.wnsoft.com/en/pte-av-studio/royalty-free-music/

Another option - Vimeo. Also I saw recently a show shared through MS OneDrive - a video can be played on a website, no need to download the file.

Greetings Igor,

YouTube will also give dings for copyright infringements, so it is just inconsistent in how YT and FB do it.

I have used the links for royalty-free music you mentioned but it is very hard to find exactly what I am looking for. For example, my current project needs Nepalese music for a trip to Nepal. Very hard to find copyright-free instrumental Nepalese music. And even if it says it is copyright-free, it gets dinged by YT and no way to protest the ding. I was hoping to see if anyone has received a similar notice from YT and if there was any way to protest it or what it really means. I probably will just use the music and let it be muted in the '45+ countries' it mentioned, wherever they are. Finding appropriate copyright-free background music is probably the most difficult part of creating a PTE show.

Gary

As Igor suggested, Vimeo is OK & seems to have better reproduction than YT. It's a long time since I posted on V but I seem to remember there was a monthly size limit unless you had a paid account. I also have a Dropbox account but the free amount is full & they keep pestering me to pay for an upgrade. IMO these hosters are greedy, after all they wouldn't have a site if we didn't post shows on them. Considering the amount of revenue they must get from advertisers.

Rosy

Greetings Rosy, I had forgotten that I started a Vimeo account many years ago and don't really like it. But I prefer the setup that FB (and YT)  has. I can upload a video and friends and family will be notified and can watch without me having to send out links for notices. And there seems to be a restriction for the amount of videos uploaded. I'll just stick to FB and YT and deal with the copyright issues and they pop up.

Gary

Hi Gary

Just remembered a solution I used 5  or 6 years ago, I bought a synthesizer & made my own music.It was a Yamaha & wasn't cheap, but eventually I got fed up with it & sold it on.

This is one of my efforts, not the best but the only one I could find to fit the 7mb limit. Rosy

• Like 1

Gary,

All these music clips can be freely used for YouTube publications without restrictions in certain countries:

https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary

If you need to use a certain rare music clip which may cause copyright issues. You can try to file an appeal on Youtube. My friends from a local small museum published a documentary movie (cultural heritage of a local artist) and they used two music clips which caused restrictions on Youtube. I helped them to file an appeal on YouTube and it was approved within 10 days.

However I would recommend to use only copyright free music clips for YouTube using music from my links above.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Rosy,

Now there are AI music generators:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ai+music+generator

Hi Igor

I tried to open a free account which was listed on their opening page but they wouldn't let me have one & pointed me to the paid accounts? I used their Q&A FREE ACCOUNT & got this reply. "You can use all features of Soundraw for free, but if you don't have a paid subscription, you won't be able to download or monetize AI-generated songs. Downloading and monetization are only available for paid members. However, composing using Soundraw's AI is free, so to try out what Soundraw has to offer, please click the button

Rosy.

Greetings,

Sure, I do scroll through the YouTube AudioLibrary first, for hours. I've checked Macleod...used some at times. AI...not ready for prime time yet. But if you want folk, public domain, copyright free music, related to the country your show is about, it is very difficult to find. Finding ethnic music for India and Nepal that is really copyright free...and free, very hard. But my point is that when Facebook dings a song that is listed as copyright free, there does not seem to be any remedy to contest it. YT might have some way to do that. And many 'copyright free' sites require a monthly or annual subscription.

I just filed a protest for another song I tried to use that is from the NCS site ('No Copyright Sounds'). This audio file was dinged by Facebook. I sent the info to NCS about this ding and waiting to hear back. So that is the struggle to find the music that you can use. I do try to use copyright free music but it is not always obvious that it really is or is not.

Gary

• Like 1

I'm with Gary on this one.  Over the years I have purchased a few CDs and other downloads for easy listening, native American or country western music and this works ok for general videos or travel stuff in the US and Canada.  But most of them time I am looking for ethnic and country-specific music for my international travel videos and that is pretty hard to come by.