WnSoft Forums

(SOLVED) Copy project to another file...slides' locations don't adjust to new folder's location

goddi

Greetings,

I completed creating a new project. I want to do some testing and changes, but I want to put this entire project into another folder.

So I copied the entire contents of the old folder to a new folder. I opened the new folder's .pte that was saved when the new folder was opened in PTE. However, none of the slides are highlighted...they are still referring back to the old folder's location.

How can I create a completely different folder with the same contents of a project? I don't want to have to replace each image in the new folder, one by one. Any easier way? I don't really want to do a 'Create in Zip' because it would exclude images that I might want to use in the new folder.

Gary

1 hour ago, jkb said:

try renaming the original Folder to something else temporarily & see if you then get the 'Missing File'

Jill

Greetings Jill,

I renamed the original folder. The new folder then showed the correct folder for the images. However, when I renamed the original folder back to its original name, the new folder went back to linking the images from the original folder. I went back and forth many times and finally, not sure what I did differently, the images for both projects are linked to the proper folder. I think there is something not right. If I copy everything of a project to a new folder, set the file list to the new folder and save the project, you'd think everything would be working as expected. It did not. Not sure if there is something that can be done so this does not happen again.

I never got any 'Missing File' in either folder when I renamed the original folder.

Gary

13 hours ago, goddi said:

... How can I create a completely different folder with the same contents of a project? I don't want to have to replace each image in the new folder, one by one. Any easier way? I don't really want to do a 'Create in Zip' because it would exclude images that I might want to use in the new folder ...

• Create a copy of your original project folder (including images and a PTE-file).
  • Rename your original folder (for a few minutes).
  • Open the PTE-file in the new folder. Now PTE will not find the original images (because of renaming the original folder). But PTE will find the copies of the images in the new folder.
  • Go to the file menu and save the project file (in the new folder), which should change the paths to the images in the new folder.
  • Rename your original folder to its original name.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Gary,

If you don't want to use a solution with a Create backup in a ZIP command, try alternate solution suggested by jt49 above. It will work for you. 

Greetings,

Yes, I had one more project folder that I needed to do the same thing to. I followed those steps and it worked. Just a bit strange that renaming the old folder allows the new folder to recognize the location of its files.

Thanks.. Gary

• goddi changed the title to (SOLVED) Copy project to another file...slides' locations don't adjust to new folder's location
On 8/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, goddi said:

... Just a bit strange that renaming the old folder allows the new folder to recognize the location of its files ...

The folder does not recognize anything. It is an old feature of PTE: If it cannot find a particular image when opening a project file, it checks if it can find the lost image in the folder containing the project file. That's all.

Greetings,

Ok...but...if I put the correct location in the File List in the new project, and save the .pte, it would seem that PTE would then know the new location of the images to be used in the new project. Having to rename the old folder temporarily just to allow PTE to 'find' and then correct the new location of the images is kinda strange. But, OK, it worked.

Thanks... Gary

1 hour ago, goddi said:

... if I put the correct location in the File List in the new project, and save the .pte, it would seem that PTE would then know the new location of the images to be used in the new project ...

This would cause a lot of trouble, in particular with projects where the images are spread over several folders.

1 hour ago, goddi said:

... Having to rename the old folder temporarily just to allow PTE to 'find' and then correct the new location of the images is kinda strange. But, OK, it worked ...

That's true. IMO, PTE should offer additional functions to change the paths to the images of a given project, see also here.