WnSoft Forums

M1/M2 Mac Haerdware Rendering Support [SOLVED]

Jimcamel

What can you tell me about M1/M2 Mac Hardware Rendering support?

I have an M1 Mac Studio Ultra/64gb-2Tb and an M2 MacBook Pro 14"/32gb-2TB - both of which support hardware rendering.

I have a project that is about 10+ minutes long and I am rendering in HD (from varying size slides so there is both JPG image size reduction and compression going on too.) but I am somewhat surprised at how long the render is taking - it finishes about 15.7 fps requiring about 20+ mins to render.  I have checked the hardware support box - but not in the comments in the dialog box that it appears to address Windows but not necessarily Mac (not sure if that is just a description problem).

So, can you confirm whether the H.264 is hardware enabled; if there is any work to update the compression to H.265.

Hi,

I have a M1 Mac mini 16GB  and M2 Mac mini 16 GB. The Sample Project encoding times below. HW encoding is faster than CPU encoding on my Macs.

Tom

export_cpu_hw.png

• Thanks 1

Hi Jim,

Make sure that "Motion Blur" option is DISABLED in video output options. It dramatically increased video encoding time, regardless HW option is ON or OFF. You can see this option on the screenshot above.

When you enable "Hardware acceleration" option, PTE AV Studio uses hardware video encoder H.264. It should work especially fast for encoding 4K video.

Probably on the fastest M1 Ultra chip, video encoding using only CPU (no HW option) will work faster for HD video output.

P.S. Tom, thanks for your helpful reply above!

As always thanks for the much appreciated quick reply......I re-rendered in 4K with MB disabled - and it sped up by about 40%.  I watched carefully, and maybe....just maybe it was a tiny bit crispier (without the MB) but no real discernible artifacts and excellent quality.

So, tomorrow I have to add a final group sot to the end of the video and right after shooting it; swap it in; render it and present it to the event...this will help a lot.

My final request - maybe update the comments and (?) points on the dialogues to explain these trade-offs a bit more carefully or point them to a web page with some real world examples so people can make choices.  A lot of people have NO idea about these issues and some plain-language recommendations might help them a lot.

But again, thanks for  the input today.

as always....

• Igor changed the title to M1/M2 Mac Haerdware Rendering Support [SOLVED]