WnSoft Forums

ver. 5 beta news?

tom95521

Hi Igor,

I was wondering if you had time to give us another update on the progress being made with the ver. 5 beta. Even if it's not ready to be released it's interesting to read about the program's new features, performance, bugs, etc.

thanks,

tom

Ok,

We decided to add new Visual editor right to v5.00, because it could be strange to mix new graphical engine of v5.00 and old Visual editor with old objects. So new Visual editor will allow:

- Scalable objects (same proportions at any screen resolution). But also you can add images without scaling (as now).

- Animation (Pan/Zoom/Rotate) of every object.

- Resizing of objects.

- A motion of objects using several key points (including complex motion on a curve)

And etc.

Same 1,5 MB of PTE v5.00 and small EXE file with slide-show.

In the nearest time, we'll publish a little demonstration (EXE with several slides) to show new Pan/Zoom/Rotate effects.

p.s. we found many difficulties with Matrox video cards (G400, G550). Unfortunately they have terrible drivers for work in DirectX (but all know their excellent 2D graphics). Of course, we've solved these problems. But it required additional days.

Igor,

This is good news - all of these new features will be much appreciated, and we don't want to rush you. I know how difficult and complicated this must be, and it is best to have a product that works than one half-baked. Meanwhile, PTE continues to be a GREAT product as it stands! :)

Guest Techman1

Igor & Team,

This is great news. I know everyone is excited to see this new version coming out soon. The changes you have coming will keep PTE as the premiere Slideshow (with Animation & Special Effects) solution for anyone using Windows based PC's.

If there is anything you need regarding further testing prior to the Beta coming out, just let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way possible!

Keep up the excellent work and we'll all try to remain patient (but, it's NOT easy)!!!! :D

Take care,

Fred

It must be hard to add so many features at one time. I now realize that I just need to be patient and someday be pleasantly surprised when I check the forum.

Thanks for the update,

tom

Igor, Al is right - we are all waiting for V.5 but a half-baked version will ruin an otherwise excellent reputation. PTE is great as it stands and one day soon it will be truly supreme - we can all wait a few more weeks for that!

Many thanks for all your efforts - RonH

Bonjour Igor,

I fully understand and agree with you! I thought thousand times about all these questions. Because of this we wrote 2 different graphical engines in v5,00 - one which uses power of video cards and second - CPU based as earlier. If you plan to create slide-shows without Pan/Zoom you will able to turn on second engine - it reliable as earlier, because it doesn't use video acceleration - only CPU.

Is this information always good ?

We decided to add new Visual editor right to v5.00, because it could be strange to mix new graphical engine of v5.00 and old Visual editor with old objects. So new Visual editor will allow:

- Scalable objects (same proportions at any screen resolution). But also you can add images without scaling (as now).

- Resizing of objects.

- A motion of objects using several key points (including complex motion on a curve)

And etc.

With wich graphical engine DirextX or CPU ?

If it's possible and if there are 2 graphical engines, would it be possible when you'll finish the V5 to tell us wich effects use the DirectX one and which others use the CPU one ?

Many thanks for your work.

Slide-show and Visual editor - both use new graphical engine.

By default if hardware allows, DirectX engine is prefered. On more slower video card it automatically use CPU based engine.

If you want it possible to manually choose engine for your slide-show (DirectX or CPU based) in Project options.

However it's impossible to mix these engines - only some one engine for entire slide-show.

But as I wrote we will not release final v5.00 if some problems leaved unsolved.

Guest Techman1

By default if hardware allows, DirectX engine is prefered. On more slower video card it automatically use CPU based engine.

If you want it possible to manually choose engine for your slide-show (DirectX or CPU based) in Project options.

However it's impossible to mix these engines - only some one engine for entire slide-show.

But as I wrote we will not release final v5.00 if some problems leaved unsolved.

Igor,

If nothing else, having the ability to select the engine manually could be very beneficial if we need to trouble-shoot a problem that a client might be having should they have an other PC or an older version of DirectX. This is going to create some excellent new abilities within PTE, but will also introduce some problems in distribution of our slideshows to clients. I believe everyone just needs to be aware of this and having the ability to select the desired engine will help.

Thank you again to you and the team for all the hard work you are putting into this new version. We know that it is going to be excellent (as always)!!!

Take care,

Fred

If you create slide-shows without Pan/Zoom/Rotate effects (like current slide-shows) they will work on any PC (even old) as earlier. No need to change anything - PTE v5.00 automatically chooses optimal graphical engine and you have one EXE file for playback anywhere.

If you create slide-show with Pan/Zoom/Rotate effects, it also will work anywhere, but smooth ideal playback will be reached on PC with video cards like Geforce 3 and higher or Radeon 8500 / X300 and higher.

As our poll shows currently about 70% of PCs are fully ready for Pan/Zoom/Rotate effects.

But I hope during 1-2 years there will be more PCs with powerful video cards, because next Windows Vista from Microsoft (next Autumn of 2006) requires at least Geforce 5 FX or ATI Radeon 9500 with 64 MB of video RAM and such video cards will be very widely spreaded.

New user interface of Windows Vista fully uses DirectX and 3D mode (even Pixel Shaders 2.0!) and features of video cards for various visual effects, like shadows, semi-transparency, scalable windows.

Also once upon a time tried high quality Pan/Zoom/Rotate and animations with special effects in v5.00, I think, you will not want to create slide-shows without these features :)

Igor

You tease us with your promises of things to come!

Have you any idea of the timescale for v 5.0?

I am considering reworking several shows and would like to plan this work.

Are we talking days, weeks or months - before/after Christmas?

I know we must be patient, but it's very hard with your tempting insights into the new version.

DEN (NE UK)

Guest Techman1

As our poll shows currently about 70% of PCs are fully ready for Pan/Zoom/Rotate effects.

The only problem I have is that I don't know what my clients will have in their PC's at home/work. They may all fall into that 30% and that would be bad. I will just have to wait and see when the beta comes out to really give this a full test here. As we've discussed before, I have some "old" PC's here too so I can run some tests to see how this might affect my client base.

Thanks again for everything. We are all anxious to see the "NEW & IMPROVED :wub: " Version of PTE!

Regards,

Fred

I would like to see Igor allow some users to experiment with an "Alpha" version to get quick feedback on any problems. I hope this isn't like a Windows release which is touted for a year or so in advance (like Vista) and then miss the release schedule!

I'm sure many Forum members would love to try v5.0 as a separate program even if not everything works. Microsoft will eventually release a beta of Vista which I would also like to test.

Bill Harkins

So a slide-show created using the DirectX engine on a fast graphics computer can also be played back on a slower graphics computer using the CPU engine? I realize that it will not be quite as smooth though.

I'm hoping we will not have to create two versions of the slide-show, one for DirectX and one for CPU playback.

If a compiled slide-show/screensaver is smart enough to test graphics speed in real time and select a playback engine by itself that is very cool.

thanks,

Tom

I consider that we'll show beta #1 before Christmas.

I know that it's very difficult to wait so long, but v5.00 is not simple task. It's beautiful and highest mountain for us.

We're working maximally fast.

tom95521

*Any* EXE file created in PTE v5.00 will work *everywhere*. If no modern video card or old DirectX version, this slide-show *automatically* will use CPU based effects like Fade/Circle/Mosaic/Pan/Zoom/Rotate/etc.

We'll try to make that "old" effects like Fade effect will work with same speed in v5.00 as in v4.44 on slow PCs.

Please give us a chance with v5.00

Being one of the 30% I am dismayed that I may be excluded from the use of pan and zoom. When this effect first reached the top of the wish list I doubt if these faster video cards were around.

Ron [uK]

p.s. we found many difficulties with Matrox video cards (G400, G550). Unfortunately they have terrible drivers for work in DirectX (but all know their excellent 2D graphics). Of course, we've solved these problems. But it required additional days.

Igor,

Being a Matrox user, this is a relief to me :D

Please take your time, me, I hate it when people rush me to do anything. But I am much to self-willed to let people tell me what to do :P

These figures are, from my point of view, not representative for the "normal" end user of the slideshows.

- The members of this forum are a particular "population", probably better equiped due to their "hobby"

- the forum counts 2 580 membres and only 73 voted ... the most motivated (less than 3%) !

In my proper experience, the majority of my friends is equiped with hardware 2 or 3 years old, with components of minimal or average quality and those who are in a resolution superior to 1024/768 are the exception.

PTE must of course progress taking notice of the newest hardware and Windows evolutions but your (Igor) remarks about the compatibility with oldest equipement reassure me. :)

But I am still disturbed. My Digital Projection Unit, which was upgraded less than three years ago, has a NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX400 video card, but it is excluded from the voting. I use this equipment for my tutorials. I do hope Igor that I will not be involved in the expense once more of upgrading both my machines to be able to use pan & zoom.

Ron [uK]

The more queries, questions and wishes we add at the moment for ver.5 :angry: the more pressure Igor and his team will feel to make it perfect for all 2,581 Forum members. ;)

Then we'll all have to wait very much longer Folks !

Lets all wait quietly like good children to see what Igor and Father Christmas brings us for being good! :D

Every problem given to the team at the minute makes the launch that much further away!

I'd rather have a Christmas present to play with than an Easter Egg ! :)

Thanks Igor for all the hard work. :D

Love Maureen

Lets all wait quietly like good children to see what Igor and Father Christmas brings us for being good! :D

Every problem given to the team at the minute makes the launch that much further away!

Maureen, don't forget that Christmas comes later in Russia than in the UK. B)

• 3 weeks later...