WnSoft Forums

PTE AV Studio crashes on Apple Silicon under macOS 14 Sonoma [SOLVED]

tom95521

If I try to overwrite an existing filename with .pteav file the progress bars stays frozen at 0% for a few seconds an then PTE closes without error message.

Mac M2 Sonoma 14.0
PTE 11.0.9

Thanks,
Tom

* It appears that PTE is having trouble finding the media to create the .pteav file.

Hi Tom,

I can check this tomorrow on our Mac mini with M1 chip.

Let me know, where are located linked files (images/videos/audio) and where is located .pteav file? I mean it's special folder (in Documents or Desktop) or new folder in user's home folder?

Try to create a new project in a folder located in user's home folder, and try to repeat the same steps.

Hi Igor,

The files are all in the same documents directory where the .pteav is produced. I have attached a small example. It might work sometimes but not others. When it does not work it creates a .pteav file with missing media. 

Thanks,
Tom

ImageNotFound.jpg

Whirligig1_Sep27-2023_13-32-47.zip

Latest Somona, the latest PTE AV Studio Pro for Mac
When I publish to mp4, in this case to a custom ratio of 1920 x 960, PTE crashes, but the window that is creating the mp4 remains. It often appears to stop working, as if it has frozen, but it is actually finished.

Probably not related to file save/missing media problem but I notice if I place the mouse pointer over the full screen option then preview freezes and closes after a few seconds.  During the preview freeze audio continues to play.

Thanks,
Tom

PreviewFreeze.jpg

Interesting. Possibly related to the new gaming mode in Sonoma.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213658

I can still use Alt + Enter to switch between full screen to window mode. It only closes PTE when I  hover over the green button with my mouse pointer.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-apps-in-full-screen-mchl9c21d2be/mac

Thanks,
Tom

• Igor changed the title to PTE AV Studio crashes on Apple Silicon under macOS 14 Sonoma

Hi,

I've combined 4 threads into this one topic because all the reported problems are related to the same cause.

These problems occurs only on Macs with Apple Silicon (M1/M2 chips) under macOS 14 Sonoma.

We have found a temporary solution while we work on a permanent solution:

Run PTE AV Studio with Rosetta. Find PTE AV Studio app in your Applications folder. Select the app, and then press Command-I (or right-click/use the File menu and select Get Info.). This will open an Info window with details about the app. In the Info window, look for a checkbox labeled, “Open using Rosetta”. You can do the same for PTE AV Player. 

We think Apple has made some major changes to speed up apps on Apple Silicon (runloop for system messages). And the correct operation of PTE AV Studio was disrupted. The fix will take some time.

Hi Igor,

I thought the problem might be related to the new gaming mode where priority is given to CPU and GPU in full screen applications. When my PTE show was full screen I did not see the game mode icon (game controller) in the menu bar. It's interesting that audio code can create such a problem without adding audio to a PTE show.

Tom

I tend to think, it's a bug in macOS Sonoma. Probably Apple tried to optimize game performance in macOS.

We found one solution and will apply it for PTE on Monday.

I also don't see a game mode icon in the top menu. The most likely it's not activated for PTE / Preview.