WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe v5.00 beta #2

Igor

In PtE5 you can see claerly that the line will be build up from Paris (top) to Madrid (down).

I was thinking this was because in PtE5 the effect settings will be different but I could not find a change, I use the top one, fade in fade out.

Theo,

All of the transitions have not yet been implemented in v.5 - only fade and circle.

Speaking of map lines, I have posted an example I'm using in a travelogue of a recent trip HERE on my website. Or, you can type in: "http://www.alrobinson.com/BigBend_demo.zip" on the browser address line.

You can sure do some neat stuff with this new version of PTE! Our biggest challenge will be in not over-using it in all of our slideshows. I tend to get carried away with the technology, myself! :rolleyes::)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Al - that red line is great! I looked at the pte objects, but I don't see how the big red area is created to do the line running down the road. That is real animation, and I suppose I'm the only one on the Forum that doesn't understand how to do it! :blink:

Al - that red line is great! I looked at the pte objects, but I don't see how the big red area is created to do the line running down the road.

Bill,

The red object was created in Photoshop - just filled a long narrow rectangle large enough to completely cover the red line on the map.

Then I erased the travel route on a copy of the map, so that the erased area would be transparent, saved it as a "png" file, and sandwiched the three together, with the erased route on top, the red rectangle "below" it, and the un-touched copy of the map as the base.

I then put the maps in motion (so that the erased copy would exactly track with the bottom unretouched version).

Lastly, I positioned the red rectangle at the top of the screen, and arranged it so that it would move downward behind the transparent travel line, thus making it turn red. Of course the un-travelled portion remains unseen, as it is overlaid over an exact copy of the unretouched map. Really simple, but it looks like magic! :)

p.s. I feathered the leading edge of the red rectangle, and it greatly improves the appearance of the moving red line (removes the hard edge which at times takes on a sharp knife-edge appearance. I replaced the example on my web page with the modified version.)

Speaking of map lines, I have posted an example I'm using in a travelogue of a recent trip HERE on my website.

Very interesting Al ! Great job !

And better than my first attempt to do it (that you can find it here for those who missed it).

I definitely have to study precisely how you made it...

The red object was created in Photoshop ....

I didn't see the explanations before. Thanks, it helps to understand and now I think I get it. :D

Anyway, your idea is just great Al !

Just a suggestion : this demo should be posted as a new post, because it can help ang give a lot of ideas to the PTE community...

If you have other ideas like this to show us, do not hesitate. :D

I replaced the example on my web page with the modified version.)

Could you please provide us the direct link ? I looked for it but didn't see it...

Thanks.

It gives you the ability to choose which image will be displayed in the slide list (in the main window) because PTE doesn't have (yet ? ;) ) the ability to show each object of a slide in this view.

Would be a nice improvement if it could though. May be in v12... :D

Thanks again Thedom, would never have found that. I trying to write a reference guide and your answers are very helpful.

Jeff

Not only you, I also don't understand how this animation works, although I see all objects :)

LOL - You're working too hard Igor. Think of it as three objects each on separate layer. The PNG is the main map on top with just the actual route being transparent. On the bottom is the jpg original map. These two layers lie in perfect alignment and are grouped so that whatever happens to one happens to the other. The red layer is set to move between the two like the contents of a sandwitch and set with keypoints to "slide" down the route. Because the png map overlays the original map it "appears" as if it is a "solid" map but actually the "cut out" transparent area overlays the "real" map" so that it "appears" as the original which shows through the cut. When the red layer is moved in between the two, it actually appears to follow the route.

The black background is just to keep any "splash" over off the screen in the case when the two maps are being moved.

I "think" this is about it.

Best regards,

Lin

Just a little question though : why does this jpg file "follow" the direction of the red layer ?

It just could be the whole map, right ?

Yes because they are grouped but it's "relative" whether you move the two maps over the red layer or move the red layer between the two maps. I think either way could work but when the road changes general direction such as a right angle turn or even going backward a bit, it may take an additional red layer to keep the appearance. Also you might have to actually "rotate" one of the red layers to keep everything looking correct.

Another way to approach this is to have a small, red opaque "circle" mask in a transparent background png which would "trace" the actual route and would be followed with larger red rectangles which "keep" the red paint behind the red circle. The small circle would let you make the turns without accidentally "painting" adjacent areas and you wouldn't need to "rotate" the red layer to make 90 degree turns look correct.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

The dark slide is actually redundant - I'm just in the habit of starting out with a dark slide. Also, the bottom map is just a sliver of the map, along the line of the route, in order to save on file size, and it looks gross if used as the main object. :) I first used a rectangle with the corners cut off, for where the road changed direction a bit, but found it was too complicated to "program", and retain a smooth forward movement. If the road changed direction radically, perhaps two red rectangles would have to be used, as you say. The red circle idea is a good one, but I found that a feathered edge solved the problem of the hard oblique line, and is less complicated.

Thedom,

The map doesn't follow the direction of the red rectangle. The two could be set up, one dependent on the other, but I wanted to be able to pause the line at "Oklahoma" while showing the snow scene, just for some variety, so I wanted the two objects to move independently.

Igor,

Do you get it yet? :lol: I think you posted your query while I was writing up the response to Bill.

Lin,

The dark slide is actually redundant - I'm just in the habit of starting out with a dark slide. Also, the bottom map is just a sliver of the map, along the line of the route, in order to save on file size, and it looks gross if used as the main object. :) I first used a rectangle with the corners cut off, for where the road changed direction a bit, but found it was too complicated to "program", and retain a smooth forward movement. If the road changed direction radically, perhaps two red rectangles would have to be used, as you say. The red circle idea is a good one, but I found that a feathered edge solved the problem of the hard oblique line, and is less complicated.

Thedom,

The map doesn't follow the direction of the red rectangle. The two could be set up, one dependent on the other, but I wanted to be able to pause the line at "Oklahoma" while showing the snow scene, just for some variety, so I wanted the two objects to move independently.

Igor,

Do you get it yet? :lol: I think you posted your query while I was writing up the response to Bill.

Hi Al,

I see that now that I've looked at the code. I actually created a similar roadmap (posted on the p2e link) and did use a couple black rectangles to mask the red to prevent splash over at the bottom and top of my screen. I probably should have just been more careful in the construction of the red layer but threw it together pretty quickly so didn't resize but just made it the same as the maps. Had I not ended up so near the bottom border it wouldn't have needed any masking but I ran the red over a tad so just used a black opaque bar in a layer over the edge at the bottom and a large black rectangle with a transparent rectangular center to mask the other edges.

I think as long as there are no 90 degree or greater turns, the feathered edge works great. I suppose it would be just as easy to do about a 10 pixel feather all the way around the rectangle. It's more difficult to "map" the little red circle idea, but it does give some flexibility for making really tight turns.

Very nice job you did on that by the way!

Best regards,

Lin

I have been following the thread on map routes with great interest, for in the past I have produced map journeys by creating stage images in Photoshop and using "Page effects" in PTE as a means of changing direction. I like Lin's example, in a separate thread, but doesn't it rely on the route being in one general direction on the map, in the example from top to bottom? However, you will probably assure me that this can be adapted with extra underlays.

I am finding 5.0 a real challenging and therapeutic experience, thanks to the knowledge which is flooding out from the Forum.

Thanks to all.

Ron [uK]

I have been following the thread on map routes with great interest, for in the past I have produced map journeys by creating stage images in Photoshop and using "Page effects" in PTE as a means of changing direction. I like Lin's example, in a separate thread, but doesn't it rely on the route being in one general direction on the map, in the example from top to bottom? However, you will probably assure me that this can be adapted with extra underlays.

I am finding 5.0 a real challenging and therapeutic experience, thanks to the knowledge which is flooding out from the Forum.

Thanks to all.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron,

Definitely "easier" if the road goes somewhat in a straight direction, but as I explained on the other post, you "can" work around the turns by either using several smaller "road" rectangles or a red "dot" (or square) slightly larger than the width of the road which can negotiate the turns to be followed by a red rectangle to "keep" the paint while the dot is moved to subsequent problem areas.

Best regards,

Lin

I noticed that it is not always easy or even possible to manipulate objects with the mouse in the animation window, especially when these objects are on each other. You can not select those which are under and you have to enter numeric values in the animation tab for them.

I know that somebody already pointed this out and that Igor answered but I can't find the post. :huh:

Any idea of where it is and what is/will be the solution ?

To improve and make more easier work with masks, backgrounds I added special parameter for an object - "Transparent for Click". With this option object can't choosed, dragged, or rotated visually. Only if you select object via List of Objects. So mask which cover entire slide will not be problem to work with other objects.

To improve and make more easier work with masks, backgrounds I added special parameter for an object - "Transparent for Click". With this option object can't choosed, dragged, or rotated visually. Only if you select object via List of Objects. So mask which cover entire slide will not be problem to work with other objects.

It's just great, really professionnal and so smart !

Will it be included in next beta ?

Anyway, thank you so much to you and to your team !

Igor,

This is an answer to our prayers! You the man!!!

This will also keep us from accidentally clicking on the wrong object and moving it by mistake, something I have done many times already when working with v.5. :)

I noticed something really annoying when you want to precisely adjust an object motion. <_<

Quite often (at least, it's my case :P ) I need to pan or zoom on an object and this adjustement is completely linked to the position of an other object in the next/previous slide (especially with "cut" transition).

But in the O/A window, you only can view the animations of the current slide :(

(Or may be I missed something ?)

Sorry to ask again for something else but it would be really helpful to have the ability to see the beginning of the next slide/the end of the previous slide in the current slide.

Is it possible ?

... Quite often (at least, it's my case :P ) I need to pan or zoom on an object and this adjustement is completely linked to the position of an other object in the next/previous slide (especially with "cut" transition).

But in the O/A window, you only can view the animations of the current slide ...

I agree that this would be helpful, but might not be practical, especially if the previous slide had a lot of different objects, and it might get quite confusing if they could be seen on the slide you are working on. However, I'm sure Igor could figure out a way to do it. :)

In the meantime, would it help to copy the previous object you want to merge with to the new slide temporarily, arrange the desired movement, and then delete the object? You could perhaps do the same with the object on the third slide.

Thanks for your advice Al, it really helped ! :)

(even if I would prefer something easier and faster ;) ).

The result (here) is still not convincing but it's better than it was.

Btw, I think I found an other (minor) bug / something not implemented yet :

in projects options, screen tab, the cover screen mode doesn't seem to be applied to the slides (always "fit to screen"). :unsure:

The result (here) is still not convincing but it's better than it was.

Very well done! I've tried to do something like that with the older versions of PTE, but of course it was never as effective as your example. I'm sure with a bit more work, it would be possible to smooth out the transitions between slides. It would be difficult to make them perfect, however, as Google is zooming on a 3D basis, whereas PTE is linear. I had to touch up the Google map in my "map route" example, too, for that reason.