WnSoft Forums

PTE 5 on laptop

ContaxMan

Has anyone tried running any of the shows made with v5 on a laptop.

The reason I ask is that I'm about to replace my aged laptop and, since I use it (among other things) for talks at camera clubs, would like the new one to be able to handle pte5.

Yes - I do want a laptop. (By the way, my desktop is OK with PTE5 and could be taken as a very last resort).

Roger,

V.5 runs very well on my HP Pavillion zd8000-series wide-screen laptop (3.2 GHz P4 with ATI Radeon X600 card, e/w 128 Mb video RAM). I have to clear out all other operating programs, though, with "EndItAll" to make the transitions run smoothly.

Contaxman:

I recently purchased an ACER laptop for my wife, Model AS5672WLMi-120GB from CompUSA on sale for $1299 and have been quite pleased with it's performance. It came with a 120 GB HD + 2g Ram, an ATI Radeon X1400 graphics card with 128 mb onboard memory + 384 mb hyper-memory(I think this is shared memory if it needs it?).

You can find details here:

http://us.acer.com/acereuro/page4.do?dau22...&crc=1163154511

Detailed specs. here:

http://us.acer.com/acereuro/page9.do?dau34...&crc=1293932712

and all kind of user commentary at the following forum:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...Aspire+5672WLMi

It's performance with PTE 5 seems very good and smooth. The only show that may make it perspire so far is Lumenlux's large Spirit in the Sky...I think it may occasionaly pause for a msec but not absolutely sure...you really have to study hard to notice anything but smoothness. I've tested with every show that has been posted.

My company Laptop is the highest end Dell Latitude D810 configured to the maximum but only a 64mb Ati Radeon. It jerks a lot with most of the PTE 5 shows. It's built much better than the ACER but cost twice as much.

To me the ACER was an exceptional bargain and reasonably well built, although my wife very rarely moves it from her desktop. ACER is third in laptop sales as I understand, just behind Dell, who is just behind HP.

Hope this helps,

Ken

:blink:

I have just started using my laptop for PTE5.0 testing as that is the machine I use for computer club presentations. It's a bit jirky, not as smooth as the desktop machine. Although the Dell 8200 Inspiron has a P4 2.2Ghz cpu, the Radeon 9000 has only 64Mb of RAM so it may not have all the horsepower it needs. However, there is also the issue of operator use of PTE 5 - those keypoint timings have to be correct to avoid stuttering and an occasional unintended black image! :(

Bill