WnSoft Forums

Next pte-release - when?

Gerdi

I believe there was a recent posting to say that beta#9 was imminent, possibly the reason for the deletion of the thread

I too noticed that the thread has been deleted. I wanted to find the "Run" reference which opens the hardware composition of one's computer. I forgot to make a note of it. Can someone supply please?

Ron [uK]

I too noticed that the thread has been deleted. I wanted to find the "Run" reference which opens the hardware composition of one's computer. I forgot to make a note of it. Can someone supply please?

Ron, is THIS the thread that was "deleted"? If so, it has just been un-pinned and so moved back a few pages as it was last replied to some time ago.

Guest Techman1

Al,

That wasn't the most recent thread regarding V5-Beta. There was another one that had Beta 8u in the title. I was wondering if this got deleted somehow, usually Igor un-pins the most recent thread when he is releasing a new version. This has been a couple of days, so I'm not sure what has happened.

Gerdi,

As far as I know the only schedule referenced indicated that the new beta #9 version was hopefully due within two weeks. We are right upon that time frame now, but this was only an estimate. Igor and team have many things coming into this beta as I understand it and as a result it may take a little more time to release. I believe (and I don't know for sure) that many of the items previously found in PTE 4.48 will be reintroduced in this beta associated with PTE 5.0. If this is true, then it should be a major beta release and I'm sure the WnSoft team just wants to make sure it has been as thoroughly tested by them prior to releasing it to us for further testing.

The existing beta works very well and I'm currently creating production DVD's for my clients with it. They are very excited about the Pan & Zoom capability that I've been able to add to their slideshows. To me, it really adds to the "overall mood of the slideshow". It's taken a while to get here, but it is almost complete.

Hang in there! :D

Regards,

Fred

Is there anything known about the time schedule for next pte5-beta releases? The old thread about this topic was deleted as far as I have seen...

Gerdi

Hi,

The last official topic I know about the releases is this one :

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5173

And there was a discrete anouncement about beta #9 here :

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=37038

Some of you know from previous posts that I also write software for a living...

I have been as frustrated as anyone else each time I've come here and the newest beta hasn't been released yet.

I'd like to share this with others because it's timely and relevant.

I quit my job this week. The reason I quit was because I could no longer take the stress I felt at being told every day: "We are not going to change your deadline. You simply must deliver a quality product on time no matter what we do, no matter how many times we change our mind about anything, no matter how bad we are at managing the project, no matter what happens. Deal with it! Stay late. Come in over the weekend. What? You have a social life? Well that's just not acceptable!" (Not their exact words, but you get the idea.) This is, quite honestly, delusional thinking on their part. I knew I could no longer deliver a quality product so I quit.

I will lose a lot of money because of my decision.

The scenario above is very common in the Corporate world. Most people, in my experience, just accept it - I don't.

Probably the main reason PTE has been and will continue to be such a good product is because Igor and team aren't forced to subscribe to this ridiculous Corporate management model of how to get things done. And I personally believe, although I have no evidence, that this is also why Igor has said many times here that WnSoft will not sell out to any corporation that wants to buy them. Why would they when they already have a product that is so far ahead of what those corporations can compete with?

So... please be patient at the same time as you are frustrated. And, Igor, please do not release the software until you are comfortable that it meets your quality standards. I, for one, am willing to wait!

Ray

Thanks for sharing that, Ray. I am not in the business, but have always had the impression that what you describe is prevalent. Almost all business demands "too much" at times. But I think the software business can be the most brutal of all? Better to quit than to crack. :D And your words may help fellow PTE fans to understand.

Thank you Ray for those timely comments and I join with you in supporting Igor and the team in their method of developing their product PTE.

Fortunately I was not employed in the corporate world. although at this point I wonder how my successors are coping with the idiosyncrazies of the current breed of politicians in the UK. :blink:

Ron [uK]

Probably the main reason PTE has been and will continue to be such a good product is because Igor and team aren't forced to subscribe to this ridiculous Corporate management model of how to get things done. And I personally believe, although I have no evidence, that this is also why Igor has said many times here that WnSoft will not sell out to any corporation that wants to buy them. Why would they when they already have a product that is so far ahead of what those corporations can compete with?

So... please be patient at the same time as you are frustrated. And, Igor, please do not release the software until you are comfortable that it meets your quality standards. I, for one, am willing to wait!

Ray,

Well said! I, too, worked in the corporate meat-grinder for years, and know exactly what you are talking about.

As you point out, PTE is WnSoft's product, but, even so, they have bent over backwards, with their limited resources, to meet our required and/or desired features.

PTE is already a superior product as it is, and even v.5 is capable now of making possible wonderful on-screen productions, as we are already seeing in the special effects and new productions of JP and Lin and Dom and Tomuk and Keith and Stephane and Morasoft and Ebenist and several others whose names I can't remember offhand. The good news is that PTE is steadily becoming better and better. I, too, can wait for the finished product, whenever Igor is prepared to release it. :)

Ray, consider yourself lucky, before you had a heart attack.

I worked for over forty years, for a major air conditioning company.

I built prototype models that the clueless idiots put unrealistic timetables on. When I reached

my earliest retirement age, I was gone. It has been five years and I coulden't be happier.

Stay happy, robertg

Ray,

I too opted out of the professional rat-race after 37 years in the same sector. Once you find your balance in your new environment, it will become a great life, and, you, like me, will have the time to wait!

I think that one of the problems is that Igor and team are too helpful at times! Many of the run-of-the-mill software houses don't issue target release dates for product updates - they just suddenly appear. When an indication of a possible release date is offered, there will always be someone ready to complain if it doesn't materialise - that's life!

However, I'm content to wait, knowing that when something does appear, it will have been well worth waiting for.

Wow! I never expected such words of sympathy/empathy/ecouragement from my post - thanks.

I'm very fortunate to have enough savings to be able to say "enough is enough" and concentrate for a while on what I actually enjoy doing. I'll be traveling from May to July, probably in South/Central America but possibly instead in China or Eastern Europe... taking lots of photos that will eventually find their way into PTE!

Between now and the time I leave I may look for a job washing dishes or stocking shelves in a grocery store for about a tenth of the money I was making before I quit my job. They've asked me to reconsider my decision to quit... I think you know what my answer will be :-)

Thanks again.

Ray

• 3 weeks later...