WnSoft Forums

Menu slide creating hesitation

Peter S

I was not sure where to post this as I am not sure what is creating the problem (bug or my system or my poor execition?) but I would appreciate any comments or help. The version is 5 Beta 11 a.

I have a show that runs perfectly on its own. I created a menu slide and the show mentioned previously is currently the only one linked to it and it uses a text link. When I click on the text link the show is activated but the PZR effects all show unacceptable levels of hesitation.

My video card is an NVIDIA 6600GT PCI Express Video Card (but this does not mean much to me!).

Peter

Hi Peter,

A quick way to find out would be to zip up the executable and post a link. Then others with various video power could test it and see if they have the same result.

Best regards,

Lin

I was not sure where to post this as I am not sure what is creating the problem (bug or my system or my poor execition?) but I would appreciate any comments or help. The version is 5 Beta 11 a.

I have a show that runs perfectly on its own. I created a menu slide and the show mentioned previously is currently the only one linked to it and it uses a text link. When I click on the text link the show is activated but the PZR effects all show unacceptable levels of hesitation.

My video card is an NVIDIA 6600GT PCI Express Video Card (but this does not mean much to me!).

Peter

Hi Lin,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have put the menu file and the show file in a single zip on mediafire. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?72mgiinhwvu

Pleaase be aware that the zip is around 10MB and it took about 7 minutes to upload. Although there are 3 options on the menu only the Overview is linked to a show.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone can find the time to test this. I would also be interested to know how the Esc key works. It worked fine for me on my PC but did not work on a CD version I burnt with the same files.

Peter

Hi Lin,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have put the menu file and the show file in a single zip on mediafire. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?72mgiinhwvu

Pleaase be aware that the zip is around 10MB and it took about 7 minutes to upload. Although there are 3 options on the menu only the Overview is linked to a show.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone can find the time to test this. I would also be interested to know how the Esc key works. It worked fine for me on my PC but did not work on a CD version I burnt with the same files.

Peter

Hello Peter,

Downloaded your file and had the same symptoms you described. Hesitation and shimmering on Title and on the rotation animation of the court plan.

The other exe file, with no menu slide, was flawless.

NVIDEA GeForce 7300 card

Esc was OK on PC, I didn't burn a CD

Regards,

Limey

Hi Limey,

Thanks very much for taking the time to try this. It looks as if the menu slide, which is set to remain open so that users can return to it at any time actually interferes with the smooth running of the show.

It will be interesting to see if others have similar problems with either my show or their own shows using this previously well tried menu system.

Thanks again

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have just had same effect on a menu Slide, I only have a Title for show in Pan and Zoom. Exe runs perfect on its own but exactly same problems as you running from Menu.

Ray

Hi Peter,

It works the same way as with your for me. I don't think this is a memory issue but perhaps a hardware acceleration issue. Go to the screen tab of the Projects Options and see if hardware acceleraton is checked or not for the menu. If it's checked, uncheck it and build the executable again and try it. If it's unchecked, put a check beside and do same and let's see if perhaps having two PTE shows each with the hardware acceleration in same or different modes may make a difference.

Lin

Peter

Hi Peter,

I just tested it - turn hardware acceleration off on the menu executable and you won't have this issue.

Lin

Peter

Hi Peter,

I just tested it - turn hardware acceleration off on the menu executable and you won't have this issue.

Lin

Hi Lin,

That worked perfect for my menu Thank you very much for the help.

Ray

Hi Lin,

Thanks so much for solving this problem. Everything works perfectly with hardware acceleration off in my menu slide. Thanks also for your post in the Tutorial section. It might save other members quite some time!

I have read in the last few months various complaints about the lack of a manual and the way in which PTE is developed but I have to say I think the process is excellent. The product is superb and the support from Igor's team and the forum provides a resolution to each problem as it is identifed. It will be interesting to hear whether this particular issue is a bug or not.

Thanks again.

Thanks also to all those others who took time to run the test. I hope you weren't too bored by the content!

Peter

I have recently used a slightly different "menu" technique that might be of interest. I wonder if it also would have solved your problem? Instead of structuring the front end menu to refer to several separate .exe files, I use the V5Beta11 options to go back and forth to designated slides. (Maybe this is what many others do too, but I had usually made my front end menus to refer always to separate .exe files.) If one is dealing with .exe files to which we don't have the .pte files, that is the only option. But if I can avoid having multiple .exe files, that avoids the potential problem of essential .exe files getting separated after distribution to viewers.

In a short show (posted soon on Beechbrook) I had another purpose in directing to slides rather than to .exe files. In this little case, the menu purpose is to offer a choice of soundtracks while watching the same show. If I had made my menu to refer to a second .exe file, the file size would have doubled. By having the menu refer to slides only, my single .exe file contains two versions of the show, but without increasing the size of the exe. (Yes, the second sound track adds it's file size, but the duplicated slides of course do not increase the size.) So the file method results in one .exe file of 17mb, while using two .exe files would have resulted in about 31 mb. Here is the link, if you want to see better what I am talking about. ThisMorning.zip

Editing here:

Only now to I see Lin has posted a complete example that goes way beyond what I was trying to explain. :rolleyes: but I am still curious whether the original hesitation/jerkiness problem could be elimated without de-activating hardware acceleration. Also whether deactivating hardware acceleration would actually cause more problems with certain presentations?

I have recently used a slightly different "menu" technique that might be of interest. I wonder if it also would have solved your problem? Instead of structuring the front end menu to refer to several separate .exe files, I use the V5Beta11 options to go back and forth to designated slides. (Maybe this is what many others do too, but I had usually made my front end menus to refer always to separate .exe files.) If one is dealing with .exe files to which we don't have the .pte files, that is the only option. But if I can avoid having multiple .exe files, that avoids the potential problem of essential .exe files getting separated after distribution to viewers.

In a short show (posted soon on Beechbrook) I had another purpose in directing to slides rather than to .exe files. In this little case, the menu purpose is to offer a choice of soundtracks while watching the same show. If I had made my menu to refer to a second .exe file, the file size would have doubled.

Hi Lumenlux,

Thanks for another interesting version of a menu. A couple of questions. How do you keep your first slide on screen until the option is chosen? In PTE do you simply duplicate the slides and have one show follow the other?

Peter

Hi Lumenlux,

Thanks for another interesting version of a menu. A couple of questions. How do you keep your first slide on screen until the option is chosen? In PTE do you simply duplicate the slides and have one show follow the other?

Peter

This particular show is synched to the timeline, but in this instance, I did not want sound with the menu slide. So the timeline begins with four 30-second mp3.'s of silence. This gives 2 minutes for the viewer to read the menu and select the version. If no selection is made, the first version will play after two minutes. As you stated, the second version is a duplication of the slides then placed to follow on the timeline. The menu slide at the start (in this show) is also inserted between the two sets of slides. So if you initially viewed "USA" version, you will then have the menu to allow you to choose "Austria" if you desire. The "silence mp3's are also inserted again in the timeline. By design, the menu does not repeat after viewing "Austria." The end of the "Austria" version will hold the final slide on screen. In addition to the two versions, the menu screen has an invisable option. That is, if you click outside the buttons, you get a pop-up message screen. Sort of, like friendly spam - if there is such a thing. :)