WnSoft Forums

flora's secret

Peter S

There are many mundane looking things that we see when we walk through the countryside that are really worth more than a cursory glance. This is my attempt to show a few of them.

I wanted to try to get over the problem of mixing landscape and portrait in one show and this is my best effort so far.

Any suggestions for improvement greatly appreciated.

Mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/?4z1cnfujls4 aprrox 12MB

This is sized for 1280 x 1024 and uses "picture frames" other resolutions will have some black banding that will not look nearly as good. Does anyone know a quick way of resizing the whole show?

Kind regards

Peter

Peter,

I found your sequence inspirational!

I think your layout technique has gone a long way to solving the problem of mixing landscape and portrait orientation images. And I really liked the idea of framing the captions in their own "window".

One or two points of comment (hopefully constructive):

For me, the circle transition on the Burnet Moth didn't really work. Whereas the page turn transitions worked very well indeed. The speed of turn was spot on.

I wasn't too sure about the transitions on the captions. I found the "third images" of the text were often just a jumble of script. Perhaps you might have been better to fade each caption out totally and then fade the next caption in.

Whereabouts in the UK were the images taken, please? And at what time of year?

Hello Peter

A very interesting show : absolutely clean execution (AMD Athlon 1.01 GHZ, SDRAM 512 MB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 2MMX, 32MB Video memory), no fancy and disturbing technic prowess, a soft music and overall, superb photos !

A keeper and a very sympathetic way to learn about nature !

The mouse cursor could be hidden for all the show

Many thanks for sharing

Patrick

Peter

A cracking slide show and what made it for me was the quality of the images coupled with great presentation. Too many people seem to use AV as a way of trotting out images that should never see the light of day. Not here though.

The virticals worked a treat as did the stylish text, you could read it it if you wished, but often the images were so good, that I was rooted on them and missed the text. No problem with that as the show was good enough to view again.

How to create this for 1024*768 monitor?? What I did was to first create a backup in zip.

I then used the zipped backup files to make another show. I used an action to reduce the images to their relative size for 1024*768, obviously with your frame that will be less than 1024 as these images are less than 1280.

Recreate the frames and your there. Its not a long process normally, but then your frames are all separate with their own titles, so you may have to recreate them.

I can't think of another way, but I have been thinking about this lately. I go to a lot of work to make sure my shows can be seen on both resolutions, but recently I wonder why I bother. Really the viewer should change their resolution to 1280*1024 to watch the show.

After all its not a difficult thing to do. I now do that when giving a demo. If I have a 1280 slide show to play, I change the resolution of my PC to 1280 and the shows then play perfectly through a 1024 digital projector.

On my DVD's I am now including a video on how to change the resolution, even if that is just to watch a slide show.

There are many mundane looking things that we see when we walk through the countryside that are really worth more than a cursory glance. This is my attempt to show a few of them.

I wanted to try to get over the problem of mixing landscape and portrait in one show and this is my best effort so far.

Mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/?4z1cnfujls4 aprrox 12MB

This is sized for 1280 x 1024 and uses "picture frames" other resolutions will have some black banding that will not look nearly as good. Does anyone know a quick way of resizing the whole show?

Kind regards

Peter

Peter, what a fantastic show, thanks for sharing.

Best regards, Gayland.

Many thanks to everyone for the most encouraging comments and helpful suggestions.

Peter,

"For me, the circle transition on the Burnet Moth didn't really work." I was not sure about this and think I may have succumbed to the tmptation to use one transition type more than I should have done.

All the cations were added in Photoshop. To change them in the way you suggest would be possible but I would need to think hard about the best way of doing it.

All the images were taken in Dorset or Hampshire but at various times of the year. Some of the macros such as the scabious were taken in my sun lounge. I find it almost impossible to get a combination of the right light and a complete absence of wind out in the countryside. I usually take these pictures early morning or late evening when the light is soft.

Patrick,

I forgot all about the mouse cursor. Good point thanks.

Kind regards

Peter

Barry,

Like many others I have always admired the quality of your shows so I am delighted to have produced something (even just one show!) that meets your standards.

My introduction to PTE was through an article you wrote in one of the mags several years ago and I have quite a selection of your CDs/DVs from which I have learned many of the techniques I used. So many thanks for that. It's taken a few years for me to summon up the courage to make one of my shows public :rolleyes: .

This forum has also been a great source for advice, guidance and ideas. The sense of community makes working with PTE so much more pleasurable.

Kind regards

Peter

Hello Peter -

I want to tell you that I enjoyed your show. I watched it with my wife and we both thought it was beautiful. Ordinarily, I'm not a flower kind of guy, especially when it comes to naming them. However, after shoveling 6" of snow from my driveway today, I must tell you that the colors looked wonderful.

I'm curious about how you did the frames. I've finally figured out how to use frames in PTE, but I can't figure out how to add texture to the frame in PTE. Are you making the frame in Photoshop, and them bringing it in as a slide?

I'm slow to realize it, but frames do make presentations much cleaner & professional looking. They give the eye a definite border with which to focus on the picture. At this point, I'm just trying to learn some of the framing techniques.

Again, job well done.

Dave

I'm curious about how you did the frames. I've finally figured out how to use frames in PTE, but I can't figure out how to add texture to the frame in PTE. Are you making the frame in Photoshop, and them bringing it in as a slide?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes the frames were done in PHotoshop. I created frames with one and two "holes" and black versions behind these. By blurring the black you get the soft shadow around the edges. I then sized and moved the images until I was happy with them and saved the result as jpeg complete with the caption. I then deleted the image layers and bought in replacements to repeat the process.

Kind regards

Peter

Thanks Peter, great show I enjoyed it a lot.

I second all the positive comment above.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work here.