WnSoft Forums

Problem replacing image

igoforit

I urgently need a solution for the following problem:

For a slideshow I need to present on Friday I still have one problem with 2 slides in the show.

Problem is that I was not happy with the images, so I edited them to make them better.

When I now look at the show in preview mode, both slides show the adjusted picture.

When I then create the slideshow again, the result still shows the old picture, even though I deleted that picture from the folder!

So, it seems that somewhere there is a cache of pictures and replacing the image does not always update the cache, but it will show correctly in the preview mode which probably doesn't get its picture from the same cache but gets it from disk directly.

The show was prepared with v5.1, but I just downloaded the v5.5 beta 8 version, and it has the exact same problem. It shows the old version of the picture, not the new one.

One of both slides is a rather complex one, with 6 images layered and with complex animations, so I would like to avoid to completely delete the whole slide and to start all over again.

I have tried to replace the main image in the timeline view, but that only replaces the thumbnail I believe. I also went in the animations screen and deleted the picture of a layer and the added a new picture to it. In preview this works perfectly....but I can't compile the executable to show the same.

Any suggestion how I can overcome this problem?

Many thanks in advance,

Jos

Jos,

Looks to me that you did not 'Re-Save' the work in progress File ~ not the Slideshow Exe ~ but the

intermediate .pte File see "Attachment". When you make corrections you must 'Save As xxxxx'

before you make the Exe. File.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1210118440_thumb.jpg

Hi Jos,

And if the advice from Brian and Bruce doesn't solve the problem try this approach:

Before launching PTE, move the two problem images into a different folder. Now launch PTE. It should report the two image files as missing. If it does, close PTE down without saving, move the two files back to their proper folder and re-laucnh PTE which should now start up with no errors. You've just confirmed that PTE is referring to the correct versions of your two files.

If, at the first launch of PTE, it doesn't report any missing images then you have multiple versions of these images and PTE is not referring to the version that you have changed. To solve this situation, select the problem image in PTE, go into Objects & Animation and use the Properties tab to browse to the correct version and open it. This will change the PTE pointer to the correct version of your image.

Remember to Save the .pte file (better still do Save As and give it a new name) and then do Create (better still Create Slideshow As and give it a new name)

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Unfortunately, it is still not resolved.

"Save As" did not solve it (I tried it once more but without result).

Then I moved the slides I want to use to a different folder.

I openend PTE => error for missing files

I pressed the "create" button => error for missing files

I saved PTE under different name in the status with the missing files.

The I moved the files back in the folder where they belong.

I open the PTE project that was saved with the missing files. It now opens correctly. I look at the preview : everything OK. I press "create" and check the result....I see the old version of the pictures again. It drives me crazy...

Is it possible that the images are verified against some exif data and if the exif data is not changed, that it keeps working with images in the cache????

Thanks in advance for further suggestions,

Jos

To Ken and others trying to help me:

Yes I did try the "Create As" with a different name.

In the mean time however, I learned that the problem is not exactly as I described it. I put a text on the new picture to make sure I would recognize the new picture.

Well, the preview and the Create both show the correct picture actually, they just don't show it with the same gamma. It looks like my calibration is not in effect when viewing the created executable but that it is in effect during the preview. Any chance that this is possible?

This is on a Dell Vista with an Nvidia card calibrated with Spyder Elite 3.

I had noticed before that the calibration did not work on my Medion PC with XP and an ATI card, but I had read on these forums that that was a known problem.

Thanks in advance for further ideas...

Jos

Jos,

May be you can try this : File | Create Backup in Zip.

Open the archive you just created and unzip it in a new folder. Then open the .pte file located in this new folder...

I hope it will be the solution. Anyway it's strange the previous solutions didn't work because they should.

Thedom:

Thanks I tried, but it didn't solve the problem.

I am quite sure now the problem is not the reference to the correct image but the calibration that doesn't seem to work the same way in preview as when playing the executable.

Jos

Jos,

May be you can try this : File | Create Backup in Zip.

Open the archive you just created and unzip it in a new folder. Then open the .pte file located in this new folder...

I hope it will be the solution. Anyway it's strange the previous solutions didn't work because they should.

I am quite sure now the problem is not the reference to the correct image but the calibration that doesn't seem to work the same way in preview as when playing the executable.

Jos, what do you mean by "calibration" ?

If you want to be sure that the reference to the image is correct, in the objects and animation window, select your image object and in the properties tab, click on the littlee folder icon (in the upper right).

What image do you see in the "open" window ?

And what happens if you choose a totally different image, does the exe show this new image or still the old one ?

OK, I see that I have not been clear (actually I was confused myself).

The problem I had with 2 pictures was that the face of the model looked too pale. So, I edited the picture and gave it more details in the highlights. So difference in the picture was in the appearance only, not about the content of the picture as such.

When I previewed the slideshow, the adjusted pictures in no way were still too pale, but in the executable, they were still too pale. So, I thought I was still looking at the old version of the picture instead of the new version. That was until I simply put a text on the new picture. Now I could clearly see that I effectively was looking at the same picture in preview and in the executable. Except, the appearance of the highlight area was different, and in these 2 images, this is disturbing.

My monitor is calibrated using the Spyder Elite3 equipment, but clearly, the slideshow in preview mode and in executable mode do look different. So, probably in one of both cases, the profile is used and in the other case not.

My guess is that calibration is working during preview, not during the actual executable.

I hope I now clarified a bit better my problem.

Jos

Jos, what do you mean by "calibration" ?

If you want to be sure that the reference to the image is correct, in the objects and animation window, select your image object and in the properties tab, click on the littlee folder icon (in the upper right).

What image do you see in the "open" window ?

And what happens if you choose a totally different image, does the exe show this new image or still the old one ?

Jos,

Can we get back down to 'Facts' and stop introducing 'assumptions' and 'red herrings ~

Your Post #1 Quote:..."with 6 images layered and with complex animations"...

As far as I know PTE doesn't do animations...but apart from that, I think you are getting

yourself tied up in knots by moving and shifting Image Files all over the place and not

saving your changes.

Below is an "Attachment" showing what buttons to press and when to do so ~

It might sort out your problems in some logical order of sequence.

Priority.1 Get the Exe up and running properly.

Priority.2 Then worry about the Quality aspects.

Brain.Conflow.

post-1416-1210205635_thumb.jpg

Jos,

Are the two problem images the only two images in the sequence that you have modified with image editing software? If so, is it possible that they are using a different colour profile to all the rest of the images? For example: are they using Adobe RGB whereas all the others are using sRGB?

In an earlier post you stated that your PC used nVidia graphics. As far as I know this make doesn't have any problems with incorrect colour calibration in PTE (unlike some ATI cards).

Keep persevering with this problem. The collective knowledge, experience and brain-power of the forum will eventually crack it!

Brain,

With animations I meant Pan, Zoom and Rotate effects.

I did use the "Save As" before.

I used the create button before, but have now also tried the menu option => fact is it looks like the same problem still exists.

Fact is that I deleted the pictures and PTE did not find them anymore. I marked them with text, and I could see them appearing where they should.

Fact is, it looks different in preview from running the generated exe.

Regards,

Jos

Jos,

Can we get back down to 'Facts' and stop introducing 'assumptions' and 'red herrings ~

Your Post #1 Quote:..."with 6 images layered and with complex animations"...

As far as I know PTE doesn't do animations...but apart from that, I think you are getting

yourself tied up in knots by moving and shifting Image Files all over the place and not

saving your changes.

Below is an "Attachment" showing what buttons to press and when to do so ~

It might sort out your problems in some logical order of sequence.

Priority.1 Get the Exe up and running properly.

Priority.2 Then worry about the Quality aspects.

Brain.Conflow.

Peter,

Thanks!

I guess that almost all of us sooner or later make an error with the color profiles we're using. So, I immediately thought you might have found my problem and I immediately checked the color profile in my images...they are all sRGB...

I will try to calibrate another laptop and check how the exe file then loooks on that PC.

If the problem has to do with the calibration, then clearly the problem should be there with all scenes, not just these 2. I have only clearly noticed the problem with these 2 scenes....perhaps the problem is less visible in my other slides due to different subjects??? I don't know.

It is strange I don't seem to notice the difference with the other slides....

Thanks for your help,

Jos

Jos,

Are the two problem images the only two images in the sequence that you have modified with image editing software? If so, is it possible that they are using a different colour profile to all the rest of the images? For example: are they using Adobe RGB whereas all the others are using sRGB?

In an earlier post you stated that your PC used nVidia graphics. As far as I know this make doesn't have any problems with incorrect colour calibration in PTE (unlike some ATI cards).

Keep persevering with this problem. The collective knowledge, experience and brain-power of the forum will eventually crack it!

Jos,

There seems to be confusion between what you write ~ and what we understand ~ perhaps its a Language thing.

Example:

You wrote:-..."With animations I meant Pan, Zoom and Rotate effects"...you mislead me using the word "Animation".

Example:

You wrote:-..."that I deleted the pictures and PTE did not find them anymore"..

This is also misleading:..How can you expect any Program to find what was 'erased' from the Hard-Drive ?

Example:

You also wrote:- I used SaveAs and then Create Slideshow ~ F9:Create Slideshow is different to F8:Create Slideshow As...

(They are 2 completely different function commands)

Please Understand:

Nobody is trying to be 'smart' ~ we are trying to help you, I asked for 'Facts' so to keep things very simple, one problem at a time,

then we will get somewhere.

I spent time, and went to the trouble of making a Noted Screenshot of:-..How to do the 'Save As' and 'Create Slideshow As' because

this is the only way you can make a proper PTE.Exe when you fully consider what you are doing in swopping and changing Images

within the 'Same Work in Progress' (File: .pte).

Create-Slideshow will not do what you want ~ Create-Slideshow As with New-Name will do what you want.

You seem concerned about 2 Photo-Images ~ be clever, take them out and see if you can make a successful Slideshow, then review

your problem again.

Best of Luck,

Brian.Conflow.

Brian/Jos,

As you know, Brian, I have a great deal of respect for your advice but in this instance I think you are missing the real problem. Jos is able to create a successful Slideshow i.e. one that runs from beginning to end with all required transitions and animations in place. His problem is that, he perceives a difference in the appearance (colour) of two images viewing the sequence in Preview as compared to viewing the created EXE. In its symptoms this problem seems very similar to the previously reported problems that occur with some ATI cards. But Jos has told us that his system uses nVidia graphics.

He is now satisfied that PTE is correctly selecting the modified versions of the two problem images. But they look different in Preview and in the final EXE file. Given the time pressures that he seems to be under - deadline of today - I agree that removing the two images might be the short-term answer.

But we can still work with you, Jos, to try and get to the bottom of your problem. Have you checked that you have the latest version of the drivers for your graphics card/chipset?

Peter,

Many thanks for that explaination. It had been my understanding since his 1st.Post that he "still had" problems

creating the Exe with those 2 Images incorporated within it. And since then he never confirmed he had the EXE up

and running ~ and as I said, it must be a language thing. But we both agree on one thing - take the Images out.

Peter thanks again for going to the trouble of writing that explaination.

Brian.

I have had a similar problem to this, but it was caused totally by me. I created a second variation of the show I was making and saved that to another location on my PC. Then I had a break for a couple of days and did nothing to it. My show was almost identical, but now in two places.

On coming back I forgot about the variation show I made. I was then looking at one set of images (in preview) and all was well with the changes I had made. When I created the EXE file it was being created in the wrong location and I was continually opening the original exe and wondering why it did not reflect my changes.

I though I was going mad until the penny dropped.

Could this be that simple because you wouldn't have an issue with just two images in a sequence, well it's unlikely?

You wrote:-..."With animations I meant Pan, Zoom and Rotate effects"...you mislead me using the word "Animation".

Hi Brian,

Why confusion over this term? That's why it's called "Objects and Animations". I'm pretty sure it's an O.K. use of the term "Animation" when you have PZR effects...

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks to all trying to help me - I really appreciate!

A quick update on where I am:

- I calibrated my XP laptop and ran the exe file on that laptop with XP. Again, these 2 pictures seem to show wrong. Wrong means that the highlight area shows too bright versus how I see it in preview mode or when I look at the image in photoshop.

- This afternoon, I ran it on yet another XP computer with nVidia card which I calibrated. Again, the exe file shows these 2 slides too bright.

- Then I made a slideshow with just these 2 problem images in and created an exe file. Now this exe file shows both images the way they should! So, for sure, the calibration is now not a problem. Same computer, same images, same version of PTE...

So, now I have come to the point that both of my hypotheses were wrong:

- The slideshow is replacing the pictures correctly, so that is not the reason why they look different in preview and exe mode.

- The reason they look different in preview and exe mode, is probably not due to calibration not working.

Taking out both slides is not an option. So, probably this evening, they will be shown too bright in the highlights...

So, any further ideas? Thanks.

Jos

Jos,

I'm not sure that we have sufficient evidence, as yet, to eliminate Barry's hypothesis. I think it would be worth while for you to use the Windows Search facility to locate all instances of both the .pte and the .exe files for this project.

I suggest that you check each of the .pte files for this sequence to identify the one that you consider to be the current one. Confirm this is the latest one by taking it into Preview and confirming that it looks absolutely correct. Do File...Save As.. under a different name and then delete all the other .pte files for this sequence. Next, delete all the .exe files for this sequence. Finally create a new .exe from the newly saved .pte file and see whether the problem persists. You will now have just the one .pte file and one .exe file - and you will be 100% certain they are a matched pair.

If the problem vanishes, then Barry's hypothesis was probably the right one. If the problem persists we will have a nice clean start position from which to do further diagnosis.

Lin,

Thats a right can of worms you have opened up there, so here goes ~

I can't accept the use of the word Animation here in the context of PTE....

Encylopedias' definition of 'Animation' and and in my Training days the word meant:-

To bring to life or to give pseudo-life & intelligence to inanimate and animate objects.

Examples:-

Cartoons:- Micky Mouse, Bugs-Bunny, Top-Cat and Sony Play Stations, and Films like:

Shrek, ET, and Robots like R2D2 & C3CPO ~ all are Animations.

By no stretch of the imagination would I consider Optical Zoom or Pan as Animations.

They are 70 year old Optical effects, even if they are now digitised as PZR.

I will stick with PZR ~ in a few months people will ask me what is PZR....What a Lark !

Best regards,

Brian.

post-1416-1210353259_thumb.jpg