WnSoft Forums

Masks and Frames Demo

davegee

Hi all,

I have uploaded a short demo of some applications for PTE 5.6 Masks and Frames to Mediafire.

All images used are "Actual Pixels" (Original Mode) with respect to a 1920x1200 monitor.

The Demo will play on any resolution / aspect ratio monitor and preserve the relationships between the various elements.

A reasonably good graphics card with 128Mb of RAM is advisable. It plays on my old laptop with 64Mb graphics RAM (1024x768 Native Res) but is very jumpy.

Smooth as silk on my desktop with 512Mb of Graphics RAM. There's quite a lot going on!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=411ad3b...d8b33b5aa27078d

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi all,

I have uploaded a short demo of some applications for PTE 5.6 Masks and Frames to Mediafire.

All images used are "Actual Pixels" (Original Mode) with respect to a 1920x1200 monitor.

The Demo will play on any resolution / aspect ratio monitor and preserve the relationships between the various elements.

A reasonably good graphics card with 128Mb of RAM is advisable. It plays on my old laptop with 64Mb graphics RAM (1024x768 Native Res) but is very jumpy.

Smooth as silk on my desktop with 512Mb of Graphics RAM. There's quite a lot going on!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=411ad3b...d8b33b5aa27078d

DaveG

Works smoothly on my Samsung G15 laptop with 4gb ram. However the effect tended to induce nausea. :(

Yachtsman1

PS

I suffer from vertigo and wear varifocal spectacles.

We could be twins!

DON'T LOOK!

It was just designed to show another aspect of using Masks and Frames - I don't think anyone would want to use it this way but having four things going on at the same time is just the tip of the icegerg. Add to that the facility for making one show for all monitors and it shows that the skies the limit.

DaveG

Just to add my two cents...

Works smoothly on my Acer Q6600 2gb Core2 Quad Nvidia 8600 with 256mb ram.

Works jittery on Dell XPS1530 3gb laptop Core2 Duo Nvidia 8400 with 128mb ram. Clearly I should have upgraded to the 8600 when I bought it last spring.

But more importantly, thank you so much for the backup zip. I've been struggling to try and understand all the issues with original size and masks. With your demo at least I have something to work with seeing how it is done. Clearly I have more studying to do....

Dick

There is a speed problem with "Mipmapping" option (used in this demo) in current betas. I recompilied it with future Beta 5 and I think it should work more smooth now. Please try modified Mask2 demo:

http://www.wnsoft.com/test/Masks2.zip

P.S. 300_2310.jpg image had too big size 4288x2412, better to reduce it to 1920x1080, because no need in larger size and slides already are heavy with four FullHD images on each.

Aaaaarghh!!!!

Apologies with regard to the oversized image!!

I dragged two images from another 1920x1080 project but forgot that particular one was used for a deep zoom!!

Two other points if I may:

1. I used 1920x1080 (!!) images in 1920x1200 project. The whole thing is far easier to do if the images are the same as screen resolution i.e. 1920x1080 images in 1920x1080 project. I saw no point in doing a project at a lower resolution - if it is going to be "one size fits all" it has to be able to cope with what I think(!) is the highest monitor resolution out there at this time.

2. The backup file might not be applicable to your computer unless you have a 1920x1200 monitor (running at native resolution) so I have disabled it.

Thanks Igor.

Hi Dave,

Just for the record. Actually the highest resolution monitor presently is a bit more than twice 1920x1080. I just sold mine a few months ago. IBM, Viewsonic, etc. make a 3840x2400 (9.2 megapixel) display. It works great for still images but not for Ken Burns effects. To drive it requires special cards and a bit of "trickery" on the part of display devices. Before I semi-retired, I had several clients who used these ultra-high displays which produce incredibly sharp images and so made PTE show executables with full 10 and 12 megapixel resolution originals for them.

Best regards,

Lin

...............Two other points if I may:

1. I used 1920x1080 (!!) images in 1920x1200 project. The whole thing is far easier to do if the images are the same as screen resolution i.e. 1920x1080 images in 1920x1080 project. I saw no point in doing a project at a lower resolution - if it is going to be "one size fits all" it has to be able to cope with what I think(!) is the highest monitor resolution out there at this time.

Thanks Igor.

In terms of smoothness of movement, I cannot tell the difference between the two versions. In terms of sharpness during the panning I feel that Igor's version might just have a slight edge over the original from DaveG but it is difficult to be sure.

However, I have noticed something slighty unusual. If I use DaveG's zipped backup file and use PTE v5.6 beta 4 to open his project file and then Preview the project, I see noticebale stutter in the right hand panel of the "two up" on the first time through. If I allow the project to loop then on the second time around there is less stutter and on the third time around the loop there is no visible stutter at all. In the "four-up" section there is visible stutter in the lower right panel first time round, less stutter there the second time round and no stutter the third time round.

If I then create an exe file and play that, I see the same stutter that slowly gets better with each iteration around the loop - and it is always most obvious in the right panel of the "two up" section.

If I run Igor's exe file round the loop three times I see exactly the same stuuter that gets better each time around until it has vanished by the third time around.

I can only conclude that it must be an effect of memory management and/or variable initialisation. First time through there is most to do (memory to load and variables to initialise), second time round there is less to do (memory still has some of the old content and gets reused?) and third time round it's all done (memory load is now optimal) and only needs playing back! Weird or what?

Testing done on a 1280x1024 monitor driven by an nVidia GeForce 8400GS with 256MB of dedicated graphics memory on a system with Intel Core2 Duo 2.33GHz processors and 2GB of RAM running under Vista Home Premium SP1.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

It is probably to do with video memory.

The right hand side is the one which has the large resolution image(!!).

My video card has 512Mb memory.

Lin,

I knew someone would have a larger one!!

But seriously, 1920x1200 is about the norm for dedicated amateur photographers these days - in my experience/circles.

1920x1080 is becoming the norm for projectors so to be able to see shows and single images in "actual pixels" and full-screen a 1920x1200 is about right. If I could afford/justify a 1920x1080 monitor I would go for that.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this on more than one computer/monitor setup at different native resolutions to prove that this is a "one size fits all" solution?

I've tried it and it works, but I don't count!

DaveG

Hi,

I tested the two exe-files without noticing any stuttering (AMD 64X2, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, Win XP SP3). I use a FujitsuSiemens monitor (1280x1024) with a Samsung S-PVA panel. With this monitor I never had any problems with zoom and pans, while (in the past) using a Canon Realis SX50 projector I often had synchronization problems while running the same shows and using the same resolutions.

Regards,

Xaver

Munich