WnSoft Forums

ABILITY TO INCORPORATE SMALL VIDEO SEQUENCES

Due to the fact that many digital compacts offer the ability to shoot also short video clips, and after CANON 5D Mark II extended this feature to professional SLRs with exchangable lenses, it would be very useful, if PictureToExe would enable incorporation of such short video clips in appropriate formats (.mov, .avi,...etc) into slide shows.

I do get lots of questions about PTE accepting video clips, so there is little doubt that the inclusion of video would raise the acceptance of the software as Xaver says.

I have been one of those who have not looked favourably on this idea as the inclusion of video would not be the same great quality as the stills, but things are changing now.

Perhaps we are moving into an era when the quality of the video will be indistinguishable from the stills.

I think that the time has come. Let's consider the monitors / beamers on which the slide shows are to be presented - max 1600 x 1200 or anything around it which does not trepresent any qualitative leap. The new CANON 5D Mark II shoots videos in HD quality, which is 1920 x 1080 - this is very similar to what we can watch on our monitors.

I still think, that the video feature incorporated in PicToExe would significantly extend the scope of use.

Rgds,

Photowizard

Actually, the maximum resolution for monitors is much higher than you think. In newer displays four megapixels (2560 x 1600) is readily available and even 9.2 megapixel (3840x2400) such as my ViewSonic VP2290b which I recently sold. Many of my clients use the four megapixel models and I make many shows at this resolution.

Best regards,

Lin

I think that the time has come. Let's consider the monitors / beamers on which the slide shows are to be presented - max 1600 x 1200 or anything around it which does not trepresent any qualitative leap. The new CANON 5D Mark II shoots videos in HD quality, which is 1920 x 1080 - this is very similar to what we can watch on our monitors.

I still think, that the video feature incorporated in PicToExe would significantly extend the scope of use.

Rgds,

Photowizard

I too would love to see this. My new Nikon D90 records AVI clips at up to 1280x720 pixels, which is a size that would integrate well with my still images. I guess one question is whether to go AVI or MOV (or both?) for the import -- some cameras only record AVI (like the D90), but a lot of P&S digital cameras record MOV instead. I suspect that converting between formats won't be wonderful, and I'm not sure which format is better but I suspect if Nikon went AVI for the D90 (what did Canon go for with the new 5D?) that probably means AVI is better, certainly it's what is used in making DVD videos ...

I suspect that now both Nikon and Canon have introduced SLRs with a movie feature, that's going to become standard equipment on most models by most marques from now on, so the evolution of AV software to incorporate such clips would be great. I'm working on a show on the windmills of the Lassithi Plateau on Crete, photos all taken on my D200 (the D90 wasn't even announced yet when I was there), and though I did get some multi-shot high-speed sequences of a couple of the windmills spinning, that's not the same as an actual video clip, and it's a lot of rather tedious work to get all those frames to line up correctly when you didn't use a tripod (which I don't when I travel, too much extra luggage and hassle). If I'd had my D90 on that trip, I'd have done the clips in the movie mode, and then I'd really like to be able to integrate them into an AV show with the stills. There all are sorts of other applications one can think of, and now that some of us (and eventually probably most of us) can have video capability without having to blow another $1000-$1500 on a dedicated camcorder that takes up even more space and weight in the camera bag, I think there's going to be a lot of demand for this option.

• 5 months later...

I should qualify my support for this feature by noting that at the time I made my reply, I wasn't fully aware of the current technical implications for EXE file size of incorporating any decent sort of video clip in a PTE sequence. See Lin Evans' reply to the following thread:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....amp;#entry65694

While I still would in theory like to be able to incorporate a video clip or two into an AV show, if there is going to be a trade-off for the size of the EXE file or the quality of the video possible, I'm no longer sure this is a high-priority option for me. It would be great if Igor could magically work out such an option while keeping the file size reasonable, but even Igor may not be able to work miracles. :rolleyes:

Maybe in a few years as techology advances (if it doesn't destroy us all first :blink: ) ...

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who missed it, here is Igor answer !

It is in our plans.

=> http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=66032

=====================

Greetings,

Many years ago when PTE wasn't even invented yet, nor was any slideshow software available on the PC, I came back from a trip to Patagonia with lots of slide film and Hi8 video. I had to set up a slide screen and I took video of the slides as I ran them through the slide projector to incorporate the slides with the video, and I also had to take video of text off the screen that I created on my PC. This was the only way back then to get still images and text incorporated into video without spending zillons of dollars. Really prehistoric, right?

One of the slide images was of a fox. I had taken the fox as a still image and then whipped up my video camera (Hi8) and set the same framing and composition and took video as it started to walk around. I still think that was a very cool effect. How much fun would we have doing this with this in PTE????!!!!!! :)

Gary