WnSoft Forums

Extra displays in Objects and Animations window

I thought I'd posted this earlier some weeks ago, but I can't find it now so I thought I'd re-post one idea and add a related one.

I really appreciate being able to hear music in the O&A window during playback, but it would also be nice if there could be a display of that portion of the waveform at the bottom of the window. This would both help fine-tuning control points to events in the sound track, and also (see below) the waveform could be used to provide reference points for the timing of control points for some objects.

Failing that, or in addition, it would be nice if one could see the timeline(s) for at least one other object when working on the control points for a different object. I often find myself wanting to time the actions of one object in relation to control points for another object. This isn't always easy to do just using the preview window; if I could see the timeline of at least one other object than the one I'm working on, it would be much easier and quicker to coordinate the control points for the two objects. for example, if one wants to fade down one object while fading up another, but with a bit of an offset on the timeline.

I realize that we don't want to clutter the display with too many timelines, which might get to be pretty confusing once the number of objects involved gets much above two or three. But providing even just one timeline other than the one for the object currently being worked on, could help, especially if one could designate which object's timeline would be displayed from among those in the objects list.

If adding both the waveform and a second timeline would be too much, then my preference would be for the waveform. If necessary, before switching between objects I could try to find a specific reference point or "spike" on the waveform and use that to help position control points for the timeline of a different object.

Of course one can always write down the keyframe times for specific reference points and use those to help place control points on a different timeline, but it would be easier either to use the waveform for reference or better yet have at least one other designated timeline displayed for reference, and do the linkages visually rather than numerically.

I hope I've worded this clearly enough :blink:

This is not a "critical" issue for me, but it would be nice to have these features.

Hi Ed,

I've pondered on this subject area , too. I agree that it would be very useful to be able to see the waveform in the O&A window. And I also agree that it would be useful to see points from more than one object at the same time.

My personal opinion is that it would be nice to be able to select one or more objects in the objects list (up to a maximum of, say, five) and then have a Right-click menu option for that selection that was "Show all keyframes". This would then show the keyframes for each selected object but would colour code them (all the blue points being the keyframes for one object, all the red points being the keyframes for another and so on - could also use different "bullet" shapes too). Igor experimented with colour-coded keyframes at one point in 5.6beta programme (around b8 or b9 I think it was) but discarded the feature in the following beta level.

I think such a feature, if applicable to a limited number of objects, would have great benefit for those users who wish to make more complex sequences.

regards,

Peter

• 2 years later...

I really appreciate being able to hear music in the O&A window during playback, but it would also be nice if there could be a display of that portion of the waveform at the bottom of the window. This would both help fine-tuning control points to events in the sound track, and also (see below) the waveform could be used to provide reference points for the timing of control points for some objects.

I am battling to fine-tune synchronisation of music beats and images in an O&A window. Are we any closer to getting Ed's suggestion? It would solve my problem. At present it is stabbing in the dark.

Regards,

Jeff

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also would welcome the Waveform & the ability to see multiple objects keypoints.

Perhaps rather than colour coding & having them all on one line, which could get very complicated, a separate line for each object could be shown.

That way it would be easy to see when you need keypoints on several objects to correspond.

If possible a scrolling vertical list would be nice. Such as in a Multitrack sound editor like Audacity.

The other 'essential' :) feature/s would be to group keypoints & move them as a block, like we can with slides on the Timeline and to be able to expand the Timeline in the O&A window using CTRL+F11 & CTRL+F12

These features would greatly enhance & speed up production times.

Jill

I also would welcome the Waveform & the ability to see multiple objects keypoints.

Perhaps rather than colour coding & having them all on one line, which could get very complicated, a separate line for each object could be shown.

That way it would be easy to see when you need keypoints on several objects to correspond.

If possible a scrolling vertical list would be nice. Such as in a Multitrack sound editor like Audacity.

The other 'essential' :) feature/s would be to group keypoints & move them as a block, like we can with slides on the Timeline and to be able to expand the Timeline in the O&A window using CTRL+F11 & CTRL+F12

These features would greatly enhance & speed up production times.

Jill

Jill - I support your suggestion.

Yes please Igor. In O&A

1) Show wave form

2) See multiple objects keypoints

3) Group and move keypoints as a block

Boogie

To see everything we would like, all at the same time, is likely to be impractical due to hardware constraints (monitor size) or budgetary constraints (cannot afford a monster monitor). Perhaps the answer is to have the various parts of the display area as separate windows that can be either "docked" into the O&A main window to create a large but more cluttered display or minimised to be called for when required. Thoughts?

Peter