WnSoft Forums

OFF TOPIC PLUG

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

It's our show Saturday, unique opportunity to photograph Dales Flora & Fauna. Varied programme, entry £6 or consessions, free parking. Why not have a day out in the country. You might even run into me :P

Location Richmond Rd Leyburn North Yorkshire.

Yachtsman1.

Hi All

It's our show Saturday, unique opportunity to photograph Dales Flora & Fauna. Varied programme, entry £6 or consessions, free parking. Why not have a day out in the country. You might even run into me tongue.gif

Location Richmond Rd Leyburn North Yorkshire.

Yachtsman1.

looks like a lot of fun :)

http://www.wensleydaleshow.org.uk/

ken

Hi Ken

Quite a few of my pictures on the rotating display on the web site, the wind blown Scottish Pipers, the Clydesdale foal etc etc.

Glad you like the look of it. The camera club are official photographers.

Regards Eric

Eric i deleted the duplicate entry

hope you can get some good shots of the collies in action :)

ken

What an important contribution to the international audience of this forum (News about PicturesToExe - professional slideshow software, technical support, discussions)!

By the way: There are hundreds of similar events in Munich or South Bavaria. Is there any interest? :D

Regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

What an important contribution to the international audience of this forum (News about PicturesToExe - professional slideshow software, technical support, discussions)!

By the way: There are hundreds of similar events in Munich or South Bavaria. Is there any interest? :D

Regards,

Xaver

I thought you had retired to your cave? ;)

Yachtsman1

Eric/Xaver,

In my opinion, and speaking as a Moderator, the public forum is not the place to make remarks of the kind that is becoming the norm between you two. I would suggest you exchange your personal insults "off forum" or via PMs.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric/Xaver,

In my opinion, and speaking as a Moderator, the public forum is not the place to make remarks of the kind that is becoming the norm between you two. I would suggest you exchange your personal insults "off forum" or via PMs.

regards,

Peter

As a moderator, maybe you should do the same?

Yachtsman1

As a moderator, maybe you should do the same?

Yachtsman1

and this was last year's episode

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8761&view=findpost&p=56752

Eric maybe you should posted it in

Tutorials and Articles

a small thing announcing your fall fair reminds us all that it is that time of the year again - they are advertising them on tv here in the colonies :)

ken

Eric/Xaver,

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

let me tell you that I have at least some kind of appreciation for you position. But in both, Eric's and my case, you should not mix up "insult" and "irony". Insult can be found in other places, e.g. here. The funny thing is that this memorable French contribution seems to be cemented in this forum, while my purely ironic remark from today (which just pointed out that Eric's advertisement had been posted in the wrong place) has been deleted.

My best regards to the group of moderators

Xaver

Hi Guys/Gals,

Actually, the post was clearly marked "Off-Topic" and since we don't have an "off-topic" category, I don't find it inappropriate.

Xaver - I believe nobody would complain if you were to put in a "plug" (colloquial English for "endorsement") for a photo club or event in Germany, nor would anyone be offended should Patrick or JPD or one of our other French contributors or any contributor from any country for that matter do likewise.

We all realize that there are cultural differences in the way our forum contributors feel about off-topic use of a forum. For example, on many French forums which I have audited, it's very common to go off-topic and and it is accepted as normal discourse. On Italian forums, likewise. On some German forums I've audited I find that participants are less tolerant in general of off-topic conversation. Of course there are plenty of exceptions to any "rule" of behavior with cultural differences.

What we do need is to understand that there are wide disparities in "humor" among different cultural groups and we all need to be a bit more tolerant of these differences. What we English speaking participants find rude in terms of behavior may not be so to one from a different heritage. Without intending to stereotype, I find it in the nature of many French forum participants on French speaking forums to argue about nearly everything. And this is perfectly normal behavior and doesn't mean they are unfriendly, only being "French." I frequently find that Germans try to be "precise" and "logical," sometimes to the point of being boring to some other cultures who enjoy "poking fun" (colloquial English for "teasing") at each other.

The point is that we need to foster a sense of brotherhood here on the forums because we all share the common bond of our love for PTE and our admiration for the developers. So in the sense of this brotherhood and sisterhood, let's continue to be civil and courteous, and perhaps we will all enjoy our time spent here much more.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Peter,

let me tell you that I have at least some kind of appreciation for you position. But in both, Eric's and my case, you should not mix up "insult" and "irony". Insult can be found in other places, e.g. here. The funny thing is that this memorable French contribution seems to be cemented in this forum, while my purely ironic remark from today (which just pointed out that Eric's advertisement had been posted in the wrong place) has been deleted.

My best regards to the group of moderators

Xaver

... Without intending to stereotype, I find it in the nature of many French forum participants on French speaking forums to argue about nearly everything. And this is perfectly normal behavior and doesn't mean they are unfriendly, only being "French" ...

Hi Lin,

Sorry for being clinical (typically German?) again. Do I understand your argument correctly, that in case where a Frenchmen calls you "Lèche-bottes", you will just regard it as only being "French"? :unsure:

Best regards,

Xaver

Hi Lin,

Sorry for being clinical (typically German?) again. Do I understand your argument correctly, that in case where a Frenchmen calls you "Lèche-bottes", you will just regard it as only being "French"? unsure.gif

Best regards,

Xaver

Xaver -- according to this

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/l%25C3%25A8che-botte&ei=EaaXSsuEM5W3lAeMx4CzBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DL%25C3%25A8che-bottes%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

why dont you just quit stirring the pot?

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Regarding the photo I would like to recommend a deeper camera position, the use of a tripod, and some contrast enhancement in Photoshop.

Regards,

Xaver

B****cks.

Yachtsman1 :P

Hi Xaver,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The point I was trying to make concerns cultural differences in what might be considered "off-topic."

You seem to have a more narrow definition of what might be considered "off-topic" in comparison with how most other forum members define off-topic.

On multiple occasions over the years you have interjected comments and done what is commonly called "hijack a thread" to further your apparent desire to have an off-topic category implemented.

The better way to accomplish your goal, in my opinion, would be to email or PM Igor and ask for a new category to be implemented on the forum for off-topic conversations. Doing it this way would be much less disruptive to the forum and there would be fewer opportunities for "name calling," insults, or perceived insults.

I'm not certain what precipitated (caused) the "Lèche-bottes" (translates in English as "boot licker") incident you refer to. In any event, such behavior should not be tolerated on the forums and such a comment should be removed. Had I seen such a comment myself, I would have removed it but I was not aware of it.

But you also have been guilty of at least implied insults. In one thread you responded to Ken with the comment below:

...by the way, you are a typical representative of those users who normally do not care very much for others not being native English speakers....

The above is an unfair assertion which, though perhaps based on your perceptions, is not accurate. There is no bias toward those who are not native English speakers by Ken or anyone else here. In fact, the vast majority of us who are native English speakers have the utmost admiration for those who go above and beyond to carry on conversations in a foreign language. Speaking for myself, I would find it most difficult to converse in German, Russian, Hungarian or Chinese as examples even though we have forum members who contribute here in English when these other languages are their native tongue. Though I do speak and write Spanish, and can comfortably read French, Italian and Portuguese, it would be extremely difficult for me to carry on forum conversations in other languages. So please don't confuse Ken's sometimes short (perhaps impatient) comments with intolerance for non native English speakers; that is certainly not the case.

So in answer to your question. I do not regard such name calling as only being "French." Rude behavior is rude behavior regardless of one's nationality, culture, historical connotations or culture clash based on past events.

Again, my point was that until we have an off-topic forum category, we should all be much more tolerant and less disruptive. I have myself been guilty of posting off-topic on a number of occasions. Sometimes by accident and sometimes because I believed that the information was important and that there wasn't a category into which it conveniently fit. That's just the nature of forums. When a poster plainly identifies the post as "off-topic," then please don't hijack the thread to point out the obvious. That behavior is more disruptive than an off-topic post.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Sorry for being clinical (typically German?) again. Do I understand your argument correctly, that in case where a Frenchmen calls you "Lèche-bottes", you will just regard it as only being "French"? :unsure:

Best regards,

Xaver

I think that it might be a good time to excercise a little restraint here.

It's getting out of hand and it is not doing PTE any good at all.

Let's put the programme and its use to the forefront and cut the petty squabbling, eh?

Let's all calm down.

DaveG

Nice pictures of the show, but your up against one of my pet hates here. Background clutter, nothing you can do about that of course. You know what always annoys me at these events is that as photographers we can almost never isolate our subjects. I know they have to perform for the public in a ring, but I often wonder how hard it would be at outdoor events to have a small space set aside against a nice backdrop. Certainly one minus cars, caravans, advertising hordings and those annoying people in their H&S vests.

Civil war battles are a good example as they rather loose their appeal when a huge caravan site can be seen on the background. Car shows and events like this are the same. There is a terrirc car show in Enfield London each year in an enormous park with plenty of opportunity to have a photographers corner, but they never do. At air shows they almost always park the aircraft tail towards the public. Now, what is the point of that? Perhaps its me age and I am just a grump now I have reached 60 rolleyes.gif

Traction engine rally's are the same, all those lovely old engines parked between caravans and tents.

When you think that practically everyone coming through the gate at these events has a camera, you would think someone somewhere would think a little more about how and where the exibits are displayed.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry

I've had the clutter comment before at the show two years ago by a judge who didn't like my picture. However as you say, it's practically impossible to avoid it at an an event like this. Those 3 are the in the first 10 of 160 I took yesterday. After all that trudging around I was too knackered to process any more. It's Church then the Belgian GP today but I'll see if I can find something to suit your tastes later. The picture below is the one the judge complained about two years ago.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-125161257409_thumb.jpg

Eric

I wasn't being critical of you or your technique, but it is a problem we all have to deal with and its a shame because these shows offer a great potential for images. I would certainly go to more of them if the same thing didn't occure at nearly every event.

However, I can almost hear what the judge would say about the MG, I think most of us would say the same thing if we were judging. People naturally become the dominant part of any image even when they are out of focus.

Caravans, people and H&S make a photographers life almost impossible.

The best way around some events is to get there when the doors open and sometimes you get an hour or two before the crowds flock in, but with other events of course, the interesting stuff doesn't start when the doors open.

mad.gif

Eric

I wasn't being critical of you or your technique, but it is a problem we all have to deal with and its a shame because these shows offer a great potential for images. I would certainly go to more of them if the same thing didn't occure at nearly every event.

However, I can almost hear what the judge would say about the MG, I think most of us would say the same thing if we were judging. People naturally become the dominant part of any image even when they are out of focus.

Caravans, people and H&S make a photographers life almost impossible.

The best way around some events is to get there when the doors open and sometimes you get an hour or two before the crowds flock in, but with other events of course, the interesting stuff doesn't start when the doors open.

mad.gif

But Barry

with all the "background noise" in these type of shows, it would be very difficult to "dick around" each picture with adobe whereas with a landscape scene you experts have a field day :)

so IMHO Eric's shots are "true"

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Now guys lets not fall out, , "you can't please all the people all the time". However I would add this, the shots I took were at a small town Ag show. We have around 2500 residents, of which probably 25% attended, the rest were visitors. The pictures are intended for AV shows and are meant to generate the atmosphere at this kind of show. They will be shown at the local camera club & societies around the town. The local viewers would be really pleased to see themselves in the clutter shots. Off to Church now. :rolleyes:

post-5560-125161961952_thumb.jpg

with all the "background noise" in these type of shows, it would be very difficult to "dick around" each picture with adobe whereas with a landscape scene you experts have a field day smile.gif

so IMHO Eric's shots are "true"

I never said they weren'tt true pictures and I never even hinted that you should dick around with Photoshop. It was just a thought I have had for years that it would be NICE if the organisers of these events were tipped off to a few simple things that could make the event better for all.

Is it the way I type or something or is it just me who thinks that every word I say seems to be misunderstood. Is my English really that bad?

blink.gif