WnSoft Forums

Multiple EXE show

Laszlo K

To all who can help!

I need to do a multiple EXE show and I never had to do it, so I have no idea how to go about it.

Basicaly I would need to create an introductory front page that with buttons or icons can call up the particular EXE to play.

It is for a demonstration of several peoples multiple short work.

Any help is appreciated.

Laszlo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Laszlo,

That's an easy one for you to do as long as you have the EXE files which you want to run and the computer you want to run them from.

Essentially you make a one slide "slideshow" with your choice of buttons or png objects, etc., to use as "objects" for the menu choices. Each object is seen on the one main slide and you can have text under or "on" the object or button. You simply create the number of objects necessary for each one to represent one slideshow to be called.

Next click on one of the objects in the object list in Objects and Animations to select it. Next click on the "Properties" tab. Next click on the "Action on Mouse Click" button and choose "Run Slideshow With Return." Next click on the small "Open Folder Icon" underneath and navigate to and select the slideshow to be run.

Repeat the above for each object's associated slideshow. Save the file as an Exe. When you run this Exe file then click on a choice it will run the associated slideshow and return to your "Menu".

You probably will also want to dedicate one button or object to an "Exit". That's all there is to it....

Best regards,

Lin

To all who can help!

I need to do a multiple EXE show and I never had to do it, so I have no idea how to go about it.

Basicaly I would need to create an introductory front page that with buttons or icons can call up the particular EXE to play.

It is for a demonstration of several peoples multiple short work.

Any help is appreciated.

Laszlo

Laszlo:

See private message I sent you.

Another hint (likely covered in Ron's tutorial) is that all the exe files to be used should be in the same root file if you want to port the shows around to various computers etc.

I have used the method when teaching and have had PTE open AVI files, PhotoShop and other software during the session.

It is a wonderful and very useful aspect of PTE.

Laszlo,

Please be aware that the Run Slideshow and Run Slideshow with Return options require that all EXE files are created using the same version level of PTE (i.e. all with 5.64 or all with v6.00 or all with v6.01) If you are unable to control the version used then you should use the Run application or open file... option.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Merry Christmas to all.

I've been given the job of projectionist at our first club AV comp in January & I would like to be as professional as possible, which would mean having a menu/programme for the entries. Unfortunately, they may not all be PTE or from the same version of PTE. My best option at present is to lump them all into one folder and open them separately from their icons/folders, unless someone has a better idea that won't tax my brain too much? :unsure:

Yachtsman1

Merry Christmas to all.

I've been given the job of projectionist at our first club AV comp in January & I would like to be as professional as possible, which would mean having a menu/programme for the entries. Unfortunately, they may not all be PTE or from the same version of PTE. My best option at present is to lump them all into one folder and open them separately from their icons/folders, unless someone has a better idea that won't tax my brain too much? :unsure:

Yachtsman1

Eric:

Your option does not sound very professional

Why not use Peter's suggestion above ?

I still use ver 4.48 to make my launch page (because I always have :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) and all shows launch fine from it. (A very few have a tiny hic cup which most people never notice. I suspect it is caused by the ver of PTE that an individual show was made in, but I have never been able to prove that)

I will eventually "get with the program" and use ver 6 to make my launch menus. I know ver 6 will be more efficient in my work routine than ver 4,48 is.

Eric:

Forgot to add re your question that the shows might not be PTE produced...

AS mentioned in my posting above, I regularly launch .avi files and ProShow Gold shows from the menu page.

I have tested and run QuickTime and Wings AVs from the menu as well.

I haven't found anything I can't open from a PTE menu page.

Eric,

You will need to use the action "Run application or open file..." rather than "Run Slideshow" or "Run Slideshow with Return". You can open any file at all using that action provided that the PC has on it the right software to process that file: i.e. to open an Excel spreadsheet you would need Micorsoft Excel present on the PC.

You can assign the action to any object but would most probably want to assign it to a button or a thumbnail image.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks all for the replys, this is my first public menu attempt & hiccoughs could cause premature heart failure. The shows would be a mixture of PTE 5 to 6 and standard Photoshop/elements/windows generated shows. Also I am not likely to receive the files until the night of the show, which doesn't allow much pratting around time. So after much soul searching I will do as I've always done for this one & make a few templates with my own produced stuff to experiment with.

Thanks again.

Eric

Yachtsman1

Thanks all for the replys, this is my first public menu attempt & hiccoughs could cause premature heart failure. ... Also I am not likely to receive the files until the night of the show, .....

Eric

Yachtsman1

Well Eric, hope it works for you.

At our club we insist on getting the files a few weeks ahead and to the extent possible test everything thoroughly before "show time".

That solves any issues and allows for a smooth, professional presentation.

At our club we insist on getting the files a few weeks ahead and to the extent possible test everything thoroughly before "show time".

How about a ready built menu thats simple and quick ... works on the fly without any menu building.

I have a simple list menu which I use to launch my exe slideshows. I could adapt it with a few button features to give it more list controls. Has full screen background to hide the desktop and hides taskbar flashes thats common with older PTE exe files.

My current build would need to be modified with a few simple additions to better suit other users. If there is any user interest for such a utility tool to be distributed ... I will send out a copy to my beta testers today/tonight for some ideas and suggestons.

post-45-126064852633_thumb.jpg

How about a ready built menu thats simple and quick ... works on the fly without any menu building.

I have a simple list menu which I use to launch my exe slideshows. I could adapt it with a few button features to give it more list controls. Has full screen background to hide the desktop and hides taskbar flashes thats common with older PTE exe files.

My current build would need to be modified with a few simple additions to better suit other users. If there is any user interest for such a utility tool to be distributed ... I will send out a copy to my beta testers today/tonight for some ideas and suggestions.

Stu:

I suspect there would certainly be interest in such a utility. It sounds like something that would get the job done quickly and efficiently.

I would still want the shows ahead of time for the reasons following, but your utility would make life easier for the person running the presentations.

One of the reasons we ask for shows a few weeks ahead is to make sure they actually work and hopefully open and close on their own.

As you know PSG, depending on how the producer sets it up, will not fully start on its own, and may only go to partial screen. PTE shows aren't always set to close after the last image. Some people try to submit shows with massive files as they don't bother to re-size their images, I could go on.

We always have to ask some producer to re-do their shows......

(In my personal case, I likely would not use the utility except in an emergency, as my presentations are done in Seniors homes, libraries, schools etc. I have each presentation's launch screen customized to that "client". Small things like make them feel very special.)

Guest Yachtsman1

We are a very small club, only 15 members at present, of those 3 can & do use PTE, the remainder only 2 or three may submit a show of some sort. It's a non points comp' so it doesn't count to the yearly comp total. It takes place on the 1st Feb 2010 & we have our last meeting Monday for this year, so I will put out feelers to try and get stuff pre submitted, but I'm not holding my breath. The ready built menu sounds a good idea & I would gratefully give it a try.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Waow!

Thanks for all the advise. I didn't think of this great response. I will jump at it this weekend, and will let you know what comes out of it.

The ready built menu sounds great but when you try to impress an audiance I think the introduction has to match the content even on the account of extra work.

I think I will have to deal with more than one version and or type of files and like Jim said to be able to open most apps. from that opening window.

I will download the Ron's tutorial and had Lin's and Peters reply printed. Also meet with Jim as well.

I think I have all my angles covered.

Thanks to all.

Laszlo

The ready built menu sounds great but when you try to impress an audiance I think the introduction has to match the content even on the account of extra work.

I agree a ready built menu should in no way replace a custom built menu if one has the time.

The sample you see of my ready built menu is somewhat unappealing and was only built to supply practical and personal needs ... so dont be mislead by its looks. The distributable user version will look much different but still be fast and easy to use.

I guess you will just have to wait and see whats in the end product ... it only takes a little applied imagination.

I guess you will just have to wait and see whats in the end product

Heres a sample view of what I came up this morning for the distributable user version. Configured to show or hide all or partial button controls. Add your own logo jpg image (700x500) for own custom touch. No other custom user options avail so as to keep program simple and quick. It will be sent out for beta testing soon.

post-45-126071723404_thumb.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Laszlo,

That's an easy one for you to do as long as you have the EXE files which you want to run and the computer you want to run them from.

Essentially you make a one slide "slideshow" with your choice of buttons or png objects, etc., to use as "objects" for the menu choices. Each object is seen on the one main slide and you can have text under or "on" the object or button. You simply create the number of objects necessary for each one to represent one slideshow to be called.

Next click on one of the objects in the object list in Objects and Animations to select it. Next click on the "Properties" tab. Next click on the "Action on Mouse Click" button and choose "Run Slideshow With Return." Next click on the small "Open Folder Icon" underneath and navigate to and select the slideshow to be run.

Repeat the above for each object's associated slideshow. Save the file as an Exe. When you run this Exe file then click on a choice it will run the associated slideshow and return to your "Menu".

You probably will also want to dedicate one button or object to an "Exit". That's all there is to it....

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin/Peter

Just tried your method to create a single show menu, did everything as stated and got the menu exe file with a single button for the show in question, used Peter's suggestion "Run Application".. However when I open the menu exe file it only stays on the screen for the single slide default period 4 seconds, if I'm quick I can click the button & the show starts, obviously I'm missing something on the timing? Please advise.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-126072278845_thumb.jpg

You are right Stu.

Especialy people of this forum will not accept limits and barriers, everything is there to strech far over than the original design intended to do.

Is like this simple plain slide show program of PTE turned into a massive super complex ( if you want to ) display vehicle.

I'm ancsious to see the Beta version.

Laszlo

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

Project Options...Main tab

Wait for a key pres of mouse click to show next slide

Turns the menu into a manually advanced sequence. Add a button coded to Exit on mouse click to give you a clean, professional get-out route.

Thanks Peter.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric:

Not sure if 5.6 and 6 are the same as ver 4.48, but it you click on the object twice (like we are so used to doing - double clicking) the show you want to run, will run twice a split second apart.

Sounds just wonderful !! :rolleyes:

So train yourself to click once if it is the same as the earlier versions

You are right Stu.

Especialy people of this forum will not accept limits and barriers, everything is there to strech far over than the original design intended to do.

Is like this simple plain slide show program of PTE turned into a massive super complex ( if you want to ) display vehicle.

I'm ancsious to see the Beta version.

Laszlo

I have just produced a menu for 6 sequences using v.6 PTE. This was made in 20 minutes. It launches 6 sequences: a PowerPoint sequence, and older versions of PTE plus one made on the latest version of PTE. It also has a heading for for the club and a moving 3D banner "Happy Christmas". I presume this is the sort of thing you want with one left click on the menu button to launch a sequence. The menu itself needs two left clicks to launch from the Desktop.

As has been mentioned it is prepared in a similar way to any PTE sequence, but is a one slide sequence with a suitable plain background. Here is a step by step rundown:-

1. Open PicturesToEx

2. Click File > New (New Project Dialog appears) Insert Menu name and Click OK.

3. The opening window of PTE is on screen. Find your chosen background slide and double click on it to insert the slide into the Slide List. This slide is best if it is a Jpeg reduced to the size required by the projector eg 1024 x 768 or whatever resolution is going to be used to present the show. The slide can be one prepared in Photoshop.

4. At the bottom of the PTE Window click on Project Options. Make sure in the dialog that appears with the following tabs, that the following are correctly adjusted:- MAIN TAB - Repeat show until ESC is pressed. ADVANCED TAB - Always show mouse cursor. SCREEN TAB - In version 6.0 fill in the details as you would for a sequence, but untick 'Hardware Accelerator'. EFFECTS TAB - Disable by clicking the two small boxes top right. C.OK. Save the Project by clicking File > Save.

5. Select the Slide in the Slide list and Click on Objects and Animation which will show the background slide. Probably best to have this at 50% and you may need to click on it to select it so that the Green Line appears around it. Now click on Button Icon top left and Properties top right.

6. The Button will appear in the centre of the screen. Drag it to the position you require (possibly middle left). In Properties, select font etc., and Alter the word 'Button' to the Title of the Sequence.

7. Click 'Common' Tab and click on 'None' in the Action on Mouse Click box. This produces a list of alternatives. Click on "Run Application or Open File..." This will open most files and return to menu after showing the sequence, but if you are running v.6 files "Run Slideshow with Return" will be more appropriate and achieve the same end.

8. After 7 is chosen a block appears below in which you can browse for the file by clicking the 'file open icon' you wish to open. Complete this action.

9. You have now completed your first Button but NB before you add another, click on the background picture before clicking on OK for next button. You should also complete all your buttons before adding any text to the background jpeg.

10. Having completed all buttons for the required sequences Text can be added in the usual way by clicking 'A' and by experimenting and possibly altering the timing and applying keyframes you can have fun in having a moving title while the menu is waiting on the screen.

Hope this helps, John