WnSoft Forums

AUTUMN DAYS IN THE LAKES

Lakelandlass

Hi Maureen,

Enjoyed your show once again. Your shots of the reflections in the water were stunning. This is a beautiful part of England and you portrayed this.

I think your music was fine and added to the tranquility of your shots.

Thank you for sharing.

Colin

A new slideshow on www.beechbrook.com with grateful thanks, as always, to Bill.

Shorter than my usual ones. Just a few days out and about in the autumn.

(A MAC version at http://www.mediafire.com/?jojqizkl2wy )

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Are you sure that Mac link is Mac files? I was able to download from it and it ran on a PC.

The music will no doubt,be out of the comfort zone for some.I think it gives a contempory feel and it works for me.

Images are as good as ever.

A really good show.Another keeper for the collection.

Well done,

Davy

Wonderful images. They really inspire me to get out and shoot more. The composition, color, sharpness, etc were great. Somehow I think a tripod was involved.

I agree with those who liked the music. Yes, it was a little on the non-traditional side. But, that contributed to its attractiveness to me.

Don

A wonderful show, as usual! The colors and the light you captured were magnificent. Really stunning images. You are fortunate to live near such spectacular scenery and to have the eye and the photographic talent to transform it into a show that I'm sure many of us will look at again and again. You should be proud of the show .. proud enough to put your name in the closing credits! Well done!

The images are up to your usual very high standards and the whole thing is put together with care and attention to detail.

The music doesn't bother me although I think I understand why others mentioned it.

I think that each slide would benefit from being on screen for a second or two longer with perhaps a slightly longer transition time.

I APPLAUD the fact that you have given details of the resolution, timing etc of the show - this is something I have advocated for some time now and which, unfortunately, not many people do. A further progression on this would be to put it in the opening titles so that it would remind the viewer each time it is opened.

Thanks for sharing,

DG

The images are up to your usual very high standards and the whole thing is put together with care and attention to detail.

The music doesn't bother me although I think I understand why others mentioned it.

I think that each slide would benefit from being on screen for a second or two longer with perhaps a slightly longer transition time.

I APPLAUD the fact that you have given details of the resolution, timing etc of the show - this is something I have advocated for some time now and which, unfortunately, not many people do. A further progression on this would be to put it in the opening titles so that it would remind the viewer each time it is opened.

Thanks for sharing,

DG

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond so quickly.

Rick - I anticipated the music would not be to everyone's taste but I love it and it is just what I had in mind for this kind of show, so I hope it grows on you.

Bill - sorry about the MAC. I have emailed you separately about this so maybe you could let me know if I have been successful.

Don - No, I don't USUALLY use a tripod, bad practise I know. I do have a carbonfibre model, which I still find too heavy to carry around when walking on hills for several miles. I know I should use it more often than I do, but I try to find rocks or fences on which to rest my elbows if light is a bit low. The lens I use is a VR model which helps.

Mark and DaveG - valid comments regarding timing and fades which I am still aiming to get bang on.

Mary - thanks for your comments. I do keep forgetting to put my name on the end credits. However, I have now created for myself a Check List of 'dos and don'ts' resulting from comments from Forum members. Now all I have to do is to remember to look at it. Off topic, I hope the skiing went well.

DavyC - thanks as always. Don't know what I would do without your advice.

Again, thanks to everyone for your comments. It all helps to try and improve.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I promised to take a much closer look and take notes ;-) So here we go.

1. The white border is fine with me, although I do know that some folk find it a distraction.

2. Water horizons, in the lightbox may I suggest you have a look at where the water horizons are placed. Some work perfectly but others at quite a distance apart. I think that the overall blend might be improved by carefully by placing groups of slides with the water horizon roughly in the same place. They could be separated by the other landscapes that do not have a water horizon.

3. I would have liked to have seen the pictures for longer. So you either have a number of choices. You could change the music to something longer. I liked the music and clearly you do too. So you could have the first slide in black with the title in silence with the music fading in with the first photo. At the end you could have the last photo fading out with the music and leave the last slide either with credits or just black in silence. The start of the music would lend itself to a bit of copy and paste in Audacity, which would give you more time. Of course the easiest way to get more time for the photos is to take two out! But which two? Perhaps the reordering to get the water horizons right might offer some ideas on which two to remove.

4. You use mainly fades and also some wipes, as you know I only use fades and therefore am biased. You have to ask yourself what extra value do the wipes add, that a simple fade would not.

5. I found some of the greens over saturated.

6. I notice that you have recovered some shadow detail and wondered if they might have better left darker, or maybe not as much shadow recovery.

All of the above are very minor points and I only offer this feedback in the hope that they might help make a very good show into a great one. I have watched it now a number of times and every time I see more and more of things I like in your excellent photography.

Hi Maureen,

I promised to take a much closer look and take notes ;-) So here we go.

1. The white border is fine with me, although I do know that some folk find it a distraction.

2. Water horizons, in the lightbox may I suggest you have a look at where the water horizons are placed. Some work perfectly but others at quite a distance apart. I think that the overall blend might be improved by carefully by placing groups of slides with the water horizon roughly in the same place. They could be separated by the other landscapes that do not have a water horizon.

3. I would have liked to have seen the pictures for longer. So you either have a number of choices. You could change the music to something longer. I liked the music and clearly you do too. So you could have the first slide in black with the title in silence with the music fading in with the first photo. At the end you could have the last photo fading out with the music and leave the last slide either with credits or just black in silence. The start of the music would lend itself to a bit of copy and paste in Audacity, which would give you more time. Of course the easiest way to get more time for the photos is to take two out! But which two? Perhaps the reordering to get the water horizons right might offer some ideas on which two to remove.

4. You use mainly fades and also some wipes, as you know I only use fades and therefore am biased. You have to ask yourself what extra value do the wipes add, that a simple fade would not.

5. I found some of the greens over saturated.

6. I notice that you have recovered some shadow detail and wondered if they might have better left darker, or maybe not as much shadow recovery.

All of the above are very minor points and I only offer this feedback in the hope that they might help make a very good show into a great one. I have watched it now a number of times and every time I see more and more of things I like in your excellent photography.

Mark - I am very grateful for the useful comments. You have obviously gone to a fair amount of trouble.

Regarding transitions, I also have used fades only, apart from my Lakeland in Winter a/v and this current show. I have seen in other's shows what I believe are wipes coming in where there are horizontal or even diagonal lines in a slide and these I found to be very effective. However, they did come in much slower than in my programme and I guess I am still trying to get to grips with the correct settings.

Re shadow recovery, we had a recent competition at my local Camera Club where the judge (strings of letters after his name!) was red hot on shadow recovery and was insisting that everybody get busy and bring out the detail in the shadows. This had the effect of making me more aware of shadow detail than previously but there again, a question of getting it just right.

We have a Mini A/V night at the club on Wednesday and I shall put it on there. There will be no feedback though as despite some of us trying to encourage members to try PTE there appears to be little interest. There is just a polite applause at the end of any presentation no matter how good or poor it is. My main critic is a 91 years old man who got me going in the first place and he doesn't mince his words!

Once again, thanks Mark for taking the trouble. It is much appreciated.

Maureen

Re shadow recovery,

have a look at the Joe Cornish books and you will see that he often leaves the shadows in near darkness. Just because you can recover shadows doesn't mean you must, or should!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry a bit late with this-new member. Absolutely stunning photos but screen time was not enough to take them in. Do you have the photos on another site? Can't wait for my next visit to the lakes in May. Mickp

Maureen,

Did you manage to produce a Mac version? If you did have you posted it anywhere? I would really like to have a look as I think the Lakes provide such wonderful scenery.

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter

I'm afraid I was unable to create a MAC version of 'Autumn Days in the Lakes' as I don't have the version of PTE which enables me to do so. However, I was able to create a MAC version of a slightly earlier A/V 'Lakeland in Winter'. Maybe you have already seen this but if not it can be found on http://www.mediafire.com/?otqujxqmm05

Maureen

Maureen

Maureen,

Many thanks for the link. I had not seen your 'Lakeland in Winter' before and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent imagers and they fit in well with Enya's music. It bought back some memories of a few of the places I have visited but I've never been there in the snow! If you would like to have a Mac version of Autumn Days I would be happy to convert it if you posted a zip version using backup to zip.

Kind regards

Peter