WnSoft Forums

Better name for "Low quality of resizing" option

Igor

I used fixed slide size 512x512 and two pictures of 512x512 each. One placed onto Mask to show difference.

This option "Low quality of resizing" is closely linked with resizing/resampling and I don't know what is the best name for this.

=========================

Igor,

To give you some feedback on your Nearest2.zip example:

The Nearest portion (right side) of the slide looks sharper than the Bilinear (left side). However, when the zoom starts, the Nearest side creates many fuzzy vertical (and horizontal) lines as it zooms.

Gary

Having now watched Igor's demo, it seems to me that the purpose of this option is to provide an alternative control of sharpness during animation. So, as a suggested name for it: Alternative sharpness for animation.

A different way of providing the control and the information would be to make two interconnected radio buttons (only one allowed at any time):

button 1 - Sharpness for animation option 1

button 2 - Sharpness for animation option 2

and possibly add a ? button (help) that ran the demo exe file but with the two halves labelled Sharpness option 1 and Sharpness option 2

regards,

Peter

From confused of Brisbane

Well, I have looked at comparison images with this box ticked and unticked and you can call me thick if you like, but I can't come up with a circumstance when I would possibly want this option or in what circumstances.

If I am being dense, please enlighten me, after all I am only a beginner.

:rolleyes:

Stick it in the menus at the top of the screen for the 2 people who may want it

:D

Thanks to all!

Cor,

"Preserve hard edges (no interpolation)" too long for the interface.

"Preserve hard edges" - this may cause confusion - side edges of a picture or edges inside a picture.

Peter,

I feel that we should avoid use of "sharpness". The pseudo sharpness is an illusion and side effect of low quality of this resampling algorithm.

There are three known resampling algorithms for pictures:

1) Nearest Neighbor (current "Low quality of resizing" in PTE). This method provides the lowest quality of resized picture.

2) Bilinear (used by default for pictures in PTE). Acceptable quality.

3) Bicubic (used in Photoshop by default). Gives high quality.

I think we should hint to an user that the first option (Nearest Neighbor) gives low quality and he should avoid this option for normal use and apply this one only for specific tasks.

There is a danger that inappropriate name will turn user wrongly think that this option gives something better than without this option.

For this reason I personally prefer add words "low":

"Low quality of resampling"

"Low quality of picture"

Ken,

The main part of video cards can't perform Bicubic resizing. Photoshop uses modified improved Bicubic algorithm (maybe Lanczos) and additionally adds unsharp mask. That's good for static picture.

But when we use animation (Pan/Zoom) this sharp picture (after Bicubic + unsharp) will cause strong moire effect.

The problem with sharpness of video mainly related with DVD output. Because by default we create interlaced video to record 60 frames per second. If you turn on "Progressive" mode it will vastly increase sharpness but reduce smoothness of animation.

Hello to All,

In my opinion the option is in the right place (properties).

Other name suggestion: "Anti-Moiré (low quality)"

With warning message at the side of the option: post-539-089748100 1280574907_thumb.png "To avoid this option for normal use, only usefull when moiré shows up during animation."

Greetings,

Cor