WnSoft Forums

Lessons learned producing a full-length film

potwnc

Some of you probably already know that I just finished producing (and my foundation just released on DVD and Blu-ray disc) a full-length documentary (details are at www.peoplesoftheworld.org/sea).

As you might imagine I learned many lessons about using PTE for video output, and video production in general, from completing this project. The post-production took me about 3 years to complete.

If there is enough interest on the forum I am willing to write about these "lessons learned" for the benefit of others who might be interested in using PTE for a large project with professional-quality video output. It would not be a tutorial; it would be an essay on my personal insights into how to plan your workflow and your technology platform. And it would be toward the end oif this year before I could find the time to finish it.

Let me know.

Ray

I am just at the other end of the user scale in that I have yet to produce my first actual PicturesToExe slideshow. So any insights and information would be extremely helpful, as I have yet to discover what works in the development of an effective show, especially when there is a significant content. At the moment, I am just learning to control movement and fades in the software, so again shortcuts and tweaks can be so important for fast production.

I am sure that writing up your experiences will not only benefit basic users like me, but also add to the quality of productions within the wnsoft communities. I would encourage you to share your knowledge.

...it would be an essay on my personal insights into how to plan your workflow and your technology platform...

Ray,

I know from my own experience that I can always learn something new and useful from another experienced practitioner. From that perspective I would be interested. Also, I think such a write-up being published late this year or early next could prove quite timely if the next PTE version was to include support for video clips - but we'll have to wait for the next beta programme to find out.

However, your use of the word "workflow" concerns me. A workflow that was right for you and your project would not necessarily be the right workflow for me and one of my projects. Indeed, I do not have a standard workflow that I use for all my projects. I have a modular workflow in which the modules could occur in different orders for different sequences. For example: if I was producing a documentary sequence I would have a workflow that started with research, moved into storyboard and from their into production. But if the sequence was illustrating the mood of a piece of music, I might jump straight into production if I felt that I had all the images I needed. For me, a workflow for AV sequences is a case of "horses for courses".

I'm not trying to put you off writing your essay; if anything, I'm trying to set the expectations of the wider fraternity of less-experienced PTE users. A workflow that was the right one for you may not be suitable for them.

regards,

Peter

P.S. I'm also sending you a P.M.

Peter,

All points well taken and no disagreement. I also use PTE for projects other than full-length documentaries and my workflow is different for those projects than how it ended up for this project.

What I'm proposing is definitely not along the lines of "for this kind of transition you should use a 2-second circle fade from the center" since that is always a matter of artistic preference. Most of it would be specific to large and long (let's say over 30 minutes) projects intended only for video output and with a vocal/narration track (with or without music). But lot's of it would apply to any large project where video output is the inention - especially HD video output.

So far there hasn't been lots of interest shown so I'll continue to monitor this thread and decide later in the year whether I want to spend the time to write it.

In the meantime if anyone has any specific questions about this are of PTE/video production I'm always happy to try to answer.

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

All my shows finish up on a DVD. Most are longer than 30 minutes. Some run for more than one hour. Most are documentaries. All have music for a background. The DVDs are for sale. I am always aiming to produce the best show for viewing on a TV. I am always looking at all areas for improvement including picture taking, camera settings, program settings, presentation styles and techniques, disc duplication, printing etc. I learned a lot over the last 10 years. This forum is the best help I have received so far. Some of the members are technical experts and help me understand what is going on to solve problems. I wish there were recipes or books written.

So I would look forward to anything that may write and share with us.

Hans

Ray

I develop DVDs that contain several chapters each. I use PictureToEx to create the individual shows/chapters and then use the videobuilder combining several shows to create the ISO file for DVD production.

On the TV, some of my clients want the presentation to return to the main menu after each show is finished. They then select another show to play. Others want a kiosk style where the next show starts automatically after the first one is finished. At the completion of all chapters the presentation loops back to the beginning.

Using version 6.5 video builder I selected both return to menu and looping. The shows do not loop. They always return to menu no matter which button I select on the menu.

If you know what settings to select either in the individual projects or in the video builder , could you please advise me please

Hans

Hans,

I don't use VideoBuilder so I'm afraid I can't answer your question. I'm sure there are others on the forum who can.

• 1 month later...

Ray,

I've starting making short "films" with music & recorded voices, and it takes me too long sat infront of the computer! So any insights on time-saving would be great.

Plus artistic/inspiration/practical topics would all be gratefully received.

Best wishes Laurence