WnSoft Forums

Comments on slide shows

ADB

Malcolm,

A qualified agreement from me! For the sort of sequences that feature most often on this forum (and elsewhere), I agree. The photography is what is being showcased; and so the images must be of the highest quality. But for a documentary sequence (for example my recent posting: "The Alum Coast") where some of the imagery is of a historical nature, one has to take whatever one can find that illustrates the point being made. In such sequences it is the story that is paramount. Everything else: images, music, voice-over, sound, use of visual effects all have to be subservient to the need to move the story-telling along in a pleasing and effective manner.

How many TV documentaries comprise nothing but stunningly beautiful imagery? I don't think I've seen even one that did. They have to use a mix of the stunning and the merely OK. Unfortunately there is a growing trend in TV documentaries to use weird camera angles, moving the camera whilst filming and all sorts of other gimmicks that, to me, detracts and distracts from the story-telling. This is analogous to the inappropriate use of fancy transitions and animations in AV sequences. These fancy effects do have a role to play: in the right place, at the right time, for the right reason. But that good old rule "Keep it simple" still represents very sound advice.

regards,

Peter

Yes, Peter, you are of course quite correct and I should have mentioned that particular proviso regarding documentary sequences. I think we are all prepared to accept less than perfect images especially when they are sourced from archives that the author has no control over.

Regarding camera angles - the one thing that really drives me (and the wife) to distraction is when the camera is moved 360 degrees around a stationary centre of interest - such as a person speaking. Almost simultaneously we both yell "Keep the damn camera still will you....!" :rolleyes:

Quite recently I watched for the umpteenth time Ken Russell's "Song of Summer" based on the life of the Yorkshire born composer Delius. Filmed in black and white (colour was too expensive), with no fancy camera work, it shows what can be done by someone who knows their business...

Malcolm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess some of you have forgot this thread that was started in '07 and was active till '09

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6713

quite a few of the points being brought up now were brought up then

guess times dont change

another thing, quite a few of the people that contributed then we dont see much anymore:unsure:

ken

...But how are us mere mortals gonna know unless the more experienced workers tell us?

Andrew,

When PTE introduced the fancy transitions and animations, there was nobody around to tell us early users how to do it properly. We learned by trial and error, by watching other people's work and reflecting upon it. That which we liked, we emulated. That which we did not like, we avoided doing ourselves. And as Malcolm (Nikonos) has indicated in his previous reply; we applied what we had sub-consciously learned from watching films, TV programmes and TV adverts. There's a lot of rubbish out there in all three genres: but there are some real gems as well. Lessons can be learned from both the good and the bad examples.

regards,

Peter

Andrew

Well, put up your shows and ask for constructive comments, test the water and see what you get back

Ken

That idea was too clinical, OK for a competition, but not here and it was never taken up which indicates others had similar thoughts.

When I first joined a Camera Club I sought out a couple of people whose images inspired me and I went to them for some advice to see what they did to get the quality I wanted to achieve. I still think that is the best option. Forums are great at their best, but dire at their worst. Too many cooks etc :rolleyes:

Actually Barrie,

IMHO

this thread could have started in Andrew's thread -- they are both similar in many ways - i may agree that Andrew's thread was not entirely correct, but the discussion's in this thread are very similar to what Andrew tried to start -- in many ways this thread is judging other people's work !

ken

Ken,

like Barry what have you done???? (although I now know)

I started this thread because of a comment I read about a member not wanting to give his opinion/s about sequences.

Its had great replies and I hope will help alot of new and old members, its certainly helped me.

If a thread/topic/conversation is removed and placed elsewhere, would it please be possible to send a message to the person who originally started the topic and let them know where it has be transferred to.

I sent a personal message to a member asking where it had gone, I thought Id gone senile not been able to see it, thanks to that member I was able to find it again and am grateful to all who have taken time to answer and give there opinions, just what the doctor ordered.

thanks again to all, very much indeed.

Ralph

• 3 weeks later...

I think one of the best ways to get appropriate feedback on AV's posted here is to let folk know of the intended audience.

Clearly; there is a big difference between an AV that the author is intending to submit for an AV competition and one that he is sending to his grandparents or grandchildren on the other side of the world just for fun. So if you want feedback, simply ask for it! Tell us who the intended audience is and we may be able to offer better and more appropriate and constructive feedback.

• 5 months later...

I have just watched a Postcard from Norway and would like to say how much I enjoyed the clever and innovative introduction and closure. The slides in between were also of good quality although by the very nature of the type of transport, were a little limited in variety. Nevertheless, I thought it was a great show and has left me with some excellent ideas to plagiarise.

Thanks.

Andrew