WnSoft Forums

Comments on slide shows

ADB

Hello All

Its great that we have a seperate section in the forum to announce PTE shows and make comment.

I often wonder though how much honest negative feedback is given about a show in comparison to positive feedback? Its easy to praise a show but a little harder to maybe offer some constructive criticism.

From the Author's point of view too its not always enjoyable to hear what people don't like about your show but ultimately if you adopt the right attitude you can only gain from the comments. Of course any negative criticism should always be taken with a grain of salt as there is no accounting for personal taste as "Art" and its appreciation is a very subjective thing :-)

I see lots of shows and find myself quick to comment on shows I like and slow to (if at all) comment on shows I don't like. So I'm going to shed my shyness and whenever I view a show I'm going to give feedback based around a standard format with the follow headings and scores:-

PHOTOGRAPHY/GRAPHICS (Out of 5)

SOUNDTRACK (Out of 5)

TIMING (Out of 5)

PTE MASTERY (Out of 5)

WATCHABILITY - Couldn't finish / Watched Once / Would watch again / Would watch many times

OVERALL SCORE AND COMMENT (Out of 20)

My thinking is if I use a standard format I'm possibly more likely to be honest and mention the good as well as the bad things about the show. At the end of the day I think this can only be a good thing as being an Author of a show its very easy to get so wrapped up in your presentation in a personal sense it can be hard to imagine why anybody wouldn't enjoy it as much as you do :-)

My first guinea pig is going to be Neil and his latest show about an overgrown old house - comments will be under his thread.

Wish me and Neil Luck :-)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew,

I think this is a great idea and was very pleased to be your first guinea pig.

Thanks very much for the comments I will certainly take note of them and hopefully it will improve my shows.

It would be very good perhaps if others used this method( some may think it too formal)!!!??

Anyway I look forward to reading everyones opinion on this.

Thanks again Andrew

Neil

I think it's a very good idea.

Of course each one can write comments and "grade" the shows how he wish but it would be interesting that we use the same headings.

We could add several headings like "Interest of the show" and "Subjective appreciation". But the goal is to have a limited list of headings.

I guess others will discuss the topic. It will interesting at the end of the discussion to edit your post.

Anyway, unless others do not agree, I pinned your topic as a suggestion to "grade" shows.

ADP

I can't say I agree with you for this reason.

We are not in competition here and slide shows are put up for enjoyment. I don't particularly want someone who I don't know making a judgement on my work. (what qualifies them to do so?)

I am quite happy for you to reach for the escape key, if you feel a slide show I have made is boring. I do it all the time with shows I download, but reaching for a set of standard rules to define comments on a slide show doesn't seem right to me. I think comments like that are OK if requested by the author or in a competitive situation, but not otherwise.

I also believe that the judging of slide shows can restrict creativity, because we tend to get hearded into the acceptable mould for a slide show. For example, I have had people say to me after showing some sequences. Superb work, but the AV group would never accept a slide show where all the images have thin lines around them? Oh dear, how unfortunate for them......... Am I bovered, NO, because I produced the slide show for me, not the AV group.

I have heard this too, The AV group would never accept borders or animation in a slide show, its not the done thing. Well, why the hell not?

Unless a structured view is requested I would stay well clear of them.

"PTE Mastery" makes me uncomfortable too. From what I have seen the energy put into this area needs to be redirected into image content and quality.

The real beauty of AV/slide shows/PTE is that is can be all things to all people, well near enough.

People get pleasure out of putting a few dozen holiday snaps to a bit of music with an auto setting and I think that is great. Others want to try and create something a little more hands on and thats great too. Then there is the enthusiast who get fun and pleasure from spending hours putting together some really special. They all get fun and enjoyment from PTE.

Why not set up a competition and allow those who want to take part to do so, then comments such as you suggest are more relavant

Other than that, just use the escape.

Most of all Andrew, I like the description you chose for this topic! :rolleyes:

I think I like the idea. Your purpose is well stated. More comments with more potential benefit to all involved. As Barry indicates he can "just say no" by hitting escape. By the same token, anyone can "just say no" to participating as either a comment maker or a show maker. Of all the shows I've ever posted, I've only received two comments that I "could have done without." And personally I would rather have many of those than to think I might have thwarted comments from someone. I'm sure Barry can use the escape key to "say no" to a comment, just as he can for a show. I think I would try to avoid the "competition" factor in regard to your system. Finally, I think it is good for a show presenter to invite comments or specifically indicate if he would rather not take comments. Finally, I hope your idea results in more comments on shows than comments on your idea. :)

Editing here now:

On further thought, I would think the least useful of your criteria might be the "PTE mastery." Or, adding "N/A", non-applicable to your point scale might help. "Mastery" level of PTE would not be easily evident or relevant. I don't think it would be very easy to conclude that a less-pleasing presentation was the result of in-adequate use of the software.

Also, I would feel honored if you wanted to apply your evaluation system to a couple of my presentations. I suspect using your criteria numerous times would soon point out it's values and possible weaknesses.

BARRY

Thanks for your comments on this and firstly I must say that I would totally respect an authors wish to not have comments made on his/her show but in posting this I was really only referring to shows that authors have notified us of via this forum AND asked for comments on their work which I imagine they do because they want to know what other people feel about their show and most importantly if they can learn anything from others comments.

I also agree with your comments that we are not in a competition but that was never the intention. I am very well aware that there is a wide range of skill levels out there amongst PTE users and I believe for those that are trying to improve their skills this would be an invaluable tool. I too did go through the camera club scene and the competition mentality but I can only ever remember learning from the experience and having the odd grumble at a judge who was completely off the mark! :-) That is the other great thing about this system you are getting the opinion of several people rather than just one and at the end of the day it is only an opinion to be taken with a big or not-so-big grain of salt.

The ranking system? this is just a relative overall feeling from a particular person about your show I can only hope and aspire to one day have some one maybe give a total score equal to say the score they give to S.Bidouze's work then I would definitely know I am producing some VERY high quality, artistic, innovative work in that person's eyes.

PTE Mastery - Hmmm I guess what I'm trying to say here is how much of PTE's potential has the author used relative to this presentation, simply because he/she may not be aware of the other features available. For example a panorama is shown as a thin strip through the midde of the screen, maybe the person making the comments thought, "that might look better as a full screen scrolling panorama". Once again the pursuit of learning. Maybe you could say "Utilisation of PTE's features" ? I thought "PTE Mastery" was less of a mouthful :-)

End of the day this would be a voluntary process which pretty much authors ask for anyway when they say "Comments please" even if no one else adopts this type of approach I am finding it a very comprehensive way to comment on an authors presentation and do so consistantly.

One final point I would like to make, and I disagree with you here, I think people generally will want to improve something if they know they can even though they may not admit it. For example yes I can throw some holiday snaps together and run a background soundtrack and think "Neat!" but how much better I would feel if I did the same show and added some animated titles just like on the movies and actually synched up my slide changes to the music so it really flowed with the soundtrack? Unless I asked I may never have know I could have achieved that.

LUMENLUX

Thanks for your comments too (though not quite as controversial as Barry's!! - Just joking Barry :-)

See my comments above about the "PTE Mastery" thing. I think I will box on with it and see how it fits/feels but having read your comments about the relativity of "scoring" PTE Mastery - you have got me thinking.

I would be honoured to apply the process to your latest show and hope we can stay friends :-) (joke!) Like wise I would be honoured for you or anybody else for that matter to do do the same to me as at the end of the day I can hardly make comment (good or otherwise) and not expect to receive same :-)

Cheers to you both

Andrew

P.S. I don't know about everyone else but I'm the sort of person that if I go to a cafe and order a cup of coffee and its not very good I won't generally complain or let the cafe owner know. I'm possibly actually doing the cafe owner a disservice by saying nothing. I suspect I may be in the majority and its possibly for the same related reasons that my Grading/Ranking/Scoring/Commenting (call it what you like) suggestion could meet with a little opposition. Speaking of coffee its off to make a Mochaccino if its bad I'll have to pluck up the courage to let myself know :-)

Oh Dear Andrew!

Hope no-one would pick a wife by marks for :

looks (out of 5)

sound (out of 5)

ability to keep house (out of 5)

intelligence (out of 5)

driving ability (out of 5)

timing (out of 5)

Overall score & comment (out of 20)

or maths ..........!

I guess I would never have got out of the starting gate or tried to date anyone, been too worried what my score card read!

This type of points system has been tried and rejected so many times, as it just won't work if we are looking at anything creative. Guess Picasso would score 0 with some and 5 with others as we are all so different.

Many of these marks for aspects of cooking up a sequence have been said before both here and on other web sites .........

Thankfully we are all independant and like and dislike various things in life.

C'est la vie!

Adds the spice to our world.

Remember that judging is only the personal preferences & opinions of the person on that day and also in those circumstances. Members here will view slideshows on different machines with very different sound cards & speakers and even with their own different hearing abilities.

Always keep making work you personally enjoy.

Barrie makes some good points, except he's quite wrong about

"

the AV group would never accept a slide show where all the images have thin lines around them
"

Many have been accepted and even gained awards.

What is not acceptable are burnt out highlights in prints or on screens.

Unfortunately putting a white line around your work, you are putting a highlight around it, this then draws the eye to the bright white line and away from the content of what is happening in the main screen.

Anything which distracts in this way also detracts from the viewer's concentration and enjoyment

Nothing wrong with movement in AVs either.

Best AV sequence with movement I've ever seen was "Mad World" :rolleyes::D:) (and still one of my big favourites) produced with PTE (in 2000/2001 I believe). Amazing how the audience gasp when it gets going! It was so way ahead of its time, it always had to have a top of the range computer to view it. Over 2,000 individual images shown in 7 minutes and yes it was AV not video.

Unfortunately the authors didn't lock the images to the time line (not available to do when they created it) so you really have to have a specific computer set up to view it correctly.

Movement - no problem in competitions or the RPS AV Group ...........

So long as it is appropriate there is no problem.

Unfortunately lots of PSG users use it so frequently and un-necessarily it can make the audience feels a bit sea sick. :blink:

Most of the judges I know are very open minded about any movement.

It is always the quality of the work which counts in the end and that's what will stand the test of time. :D

Lots of AV authors (UK and abroad) can and do ask the RPS AV panel for their opinion of their work with a view to perhaps going for a distinction, if it is thought appropriate. This is perfectly OK, as long as the authors appreciates that the final assessment will be before a large panel of experienced experts. Individual panel members can point out the flaws and weaknesses, and of course the strengths of work. I think the most obvious flaw (and I'm as guilty as everyone else) is making slideshows too long. We all want to include our favourite shots and often we may be advised to cut many out.

But this is itself already far too long!

I'll get null points for getting my message over. ;)

Just avoid giving anything creative individual points. :D

or Picasso may yet come back to haunt you ......... :huh:

Love

Maureen

sorry have been out of the country again ! :D

Well actually I'm not sorry, as it was so sunny and hot in Gibraltar and Spain ..

out there photographing a wedding.

Hi Andrew.

My view would be to forget it!

Far too many things in this life are spoiled by over-formalisation, and trying to be measurable or answerable to standards.

Let's just enjoy each others efforts in a casual way - make comments and offer your personal advice by all means, but avoid pinning them on to a measuring stick. That's not what this forum is all about.

Regards.

Thank you ALL and in particular Maureen for your comments.

OK OK

I hear you (I'm starting to be thankful I called this topic what I did :-) the scoring thing I guess is really not what this is all about and was only a quick indication of how someone feels about your work overall, and I think its fair to say if someone posts a topic here and ask for feedback they want to know how people feel about their work and if they can improve it.

If scoring is uneasy with people then surely simply having some general areas to comment on can do NO harm?? If only to help the person making the comments remember all the various aspects that need to come together to make up a slide show.

My original aim of this excercise was to get people talking more about the things they didn't like in presentations so that those who made the presentations may learn some new skills, that remains my aim the scoring aspect is really a side issue and it would be a shame to get hung up on it. With new skills we can become MORE creative, PTE can produce some very creative shows but there can be a considerable technical understanding required to get there.

I guess its one of those issues some see the value and some don't and that's fine. If someone want's me to comment on their work I'll gladly do it knowing that I may actually be helping them and by giving them an honest comprehensive opinion. If I need to list under headings cos I find it easier to cover everything then that's fine too.

No doubt this debate has not ended :-)

Cheers

Andrew

P.S. Maureen - That's how I picked my current wife and things turned out really well! Though I did have to overlook the driving category :-)

Having a monthly competition, or annually, like they do on some of the camera-photography forums might be fun. Keep it to those who wish to participate only.

Sometimes it is nice to just post a very casual show that might have nothing to do with art. I like travelogues, and they sure aren’t art most of the time, but once in a while I think I hit it right and might want to participate in a competition…but then there would be so many categories.

For now I have my own rating system in place…if one person emails me about a show, I feel I have a modest success. If I get a few emails I feel quite proud for a day or two. The comments are usually complimentary, but many have critical remarks as well…usually more of this and less of that kind of stuff, but I take that as a compliment as well, seeing as it takes time to write and I appreciate it.

Jeff

LOL - Sherry, my wife of 30 years always introduces me: "This is my "first husband, Lin" .... Keeps me on my toes!

Lin

Cheers

Andrew

P.S. Maureen - That's how I picked my current wife and things turned out really well! Though I did have to overlook the driving category :-)

I have an idea....what if we remember this "formula," and if you make a show available, add a little note with it inviting a critique. Like at Beechbrook where you write the author's notes. Or on this forum.

Then...if I am really sensitive about my presentation I can say "LEAVE IT ALONE!!!" Or I can say, "Like or it not, I couldn't really care less." Or, "OK, I am holding my breath, let me have it!" (This is an invitation to blast away with accolades or criticism.

Personally I welcome the criticism more than accolades. But appreciation is kinda heart-warming too--especially if you spend all night making what you think is a masterpiece.

People like me that are not professionals, just kinda flies on the wall watching the Big Boys, really appreciate the chance to hear from you guys & gals that really are creative and experienced and have a eye for doing things cooly.

Is "cooly" a word?

jk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Andrew,

I tend to be with the folk who are saying no need for a marking scheme. I am a member of a local camera club and enter competitions only for the sake of contributing to the evening. The "winner" is only the opinion of the judge and those who have entered competitions will vouch for the inconsistency in judging between individuals. If you enter a competition you need to adopt the philosophy that if the judge likes your photograph ( and this tends to be based on impact and also subjects which are close to the heart of the judge) you may win, if not it doesn't mean that what you have presented is no good.

However, as a relative newcomer I am keen to learn and make sequences which are photographically, technically and artistically improving as I go along. To do this I watch the shows that others have produced and if there is something I can relate to I will try and incorporate it into my own shows. I feel the forum is an excellent way of sharing both shows and views and, as long as this is done in a Gentlemanly or Ladylike way, we all gain from each other.

Scoring points, or not as the case may be, can be discouraging and I think we all need encouragement if we are to progress. Continue to make constructive comments when authors request them otherwise just enjoy what is offered.

Just for interest I have attached a "Marking Sheet" I came across on the net previously, however I am not sure of its origin so offer it as is.

Thanks to all

TonyC

AUDIO_VISUAL_MARKING_SHEET.doc

Tony some interesting comments on a perennial subject among camera club members, (and others).

As someone who has both entered competitions and judged them I must agree that some judges do tend to let their likes and dislikes effect their judgements. I have found the better judges are the ones who are aware of this and take it into account, but as they are only human it is not always possible.

The assessment of an image is done in two major areas, Technical and Aesthetic.

The technical area, sharpness, correct colour, exposure, focus, etc is usually straight forward and can be one where there is general agreement. On the other hand the aesthetic area has been, is and always will be one of great debate, the basics, "rule of thirds", framing, etc can be recognised and accessed with general agreement but when we get to the "emotional" side of the subject our own feelings come into play and this is where the debate rages. Even the mood a judge is in, if have they had a good/bad day, will effect their opinion here. The best I feel we can do is gather as wide a range of opinions of our work as possible and this will tend to filter out the likes/dislikes of the individual.

When judging 3 or 4 images or 1 AV, (as here on this forum), a points system is not required in my opinion but when judging 50-100 images or more than 5-6 AVs the only way they can be assessed against each other, (or to a consistent standard), is a points system of some sort with all its faults, even the relative merit of various points systems is a subject of debate. Looking at a large number of shows can take several days and the only way of maintaining any consistency is a form of awarding points to each. Also they can be a form of shorthand for the judge to refer to at a later date or when presenting the results. If the break-down of points is passed on to the author they can often be a useful guide for improvement to their work.

Just for interest I have attached a "Marking Sheet" I came across on the net previously, however I am not sure of its origin so offer it as is.
An interesting document, attached is a sheet that was given to us, (I was on a panel of 5), to judge a AV competition earlier this year. It appears to be an updated version of yours.

CVCC_Annual_AV_Marking_Sheet_2_07.doc

Tony some interesting comments on a perennial subject among camera club members, (and others).

As someone who has both entered competitions and judged them I must agree that some judges do tend to let their likes and dislikes effect their judgements. I have found the better judges are the ones who are aware of this and take it into account, but as they are only human it is not always possible.

The assessment of an image is done in two major areas, Technical and Aesthetic.

The technical area, sharpness, correct colour, exposure, focus, etc is usually straight forward and can be one where there is general agreement. On the other hand the aesthetic area has been, is and always will be one of great debate, the basics, "rule of thirds", framing, etc can be recognised and accessed with general agreement but when we get to the "emotional" side of the subject our own feelings come into play and this is where the debate rages. Even the mood a judge is in, if have they had a good/bad day, will effect their opinion here. The best I feel we can do is gather as wide a range of opinions of our work as possible and this will tend to filter out the likes/dislikes of the individual.

When judging 3 or 4 images or 1 AV, (as here on this forum), a points system is not required in my opinion but when judging 50-100 images or more than 5-6 AVs the only way they can be assessed against each other, (or to a consistent standard), is a points system of some sort with all its faults, even the relative merit of various points systems is a subject of debate. Looking at a large number of shows can take several days and the only way of maintaining any consistency is a form of awarding points to each. Also they can be a form of shorthand for the judge to refer to at a later date or when presenting the results. If the break-down of points is passed on to the author they can often be a useful guide for improvement to their work.

An interesting document, attached is a sheet that was given to us, (I was on a panel of 5), to judge a AV competition earlier this year. It appears to be an updated version of yours.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying in the context of competition. However, the A-V world to me is one where we are all winners from the point of view that we are able to share each others' work and enjoy the results.

I think Andrew was suggesting that a standard be adopted on the forum for "judging" sequences on a points basis. This in effect makes the forum a competition site and not just one where shows can be shared without prejudice. As a result of this I feel there would be fewer contributors and therefore we would all lose out.

If there are those who wish to compete and do so from the outset, then there is a requirement for a set of "rules" to work by. This then makes the playing field level, however, I do not think the forum is the best place. Just my opinion.

All the best

TonyC

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying in the context of competition. However, the A-V world to me is one where we are all winners from the point of view that we are able to share each others' work and enjoy the results.

Thanks Tony, yes I couldn't agree more with you on that, we are defiantly all winners here with PTE and the members of this forum.
I think Andrew was suggesting that a standard be adopted on the forum for "judging" sequences on a points basis. This in effect makes the forum a competition site and not just one where shows can be shared without prejudice. As a result of this I feel there would be fewer contributors and therefore we would all lose out.
I certainly do not wish this forum to become a competition, I like it as it is. It could be called an "exhibition" where viewers, if asked by the author, can comment on the exhibits. Long may it remain like that.
If there are those who wish to compete and do so from the outset, then there is a requirement for a set of "rules" to work by. This then makes the playing field level, however, I do not think the forum is the best place. Just my opinion.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly. When I was using the term "judge" it was in the context of the viewer of a A-V, our subconscious is making "judgements" as we see the show. The process I touched on in my previous post was the method used to bring this to our conscious mind and become aware of how we access what we are viewing. When the show finishes and we say to ourself "well I really liked that or I did not like it" why? We have, if we are aware of it or not, "judged" the show. Judging, (or forming an opinion which we may or may-not keep to ourself), is something we are doing all the time in most areas of life, particularly in the areas of artistic endeavour. Receiving and analysing feedback on our work, particularly constructive, be it good or bad is how we can grow and develop our areas of expression. Using a points system is just a tool toward this end, for some it is useful and others not. I personally don't use it in this forum but in others areas it is very useful.

Thanks for the interesting discussion here Tony and Andrew.

• 11 months later...
ADP

AV group would never accept a slide show where all the images have thin lines around them? Oh dear, how unfortunate for them......... Am I bovered, NO, because I produced the slide show for me, not the AV group.

I have heard this too, The AV group would never accept borders or animation in a slide show, its not the done thing. Well, why the hell not?

I'm new here, what is this AV group?

David.

David,

As I believe you know, in some parts of the UK there are Photographic Societies and Camera Clubs. Many of these have formed groups dedicated to Audio-Visual sequences. It is a perception among some people that some of these A-V groups have, shall we say, a restricted definition of what constitutes "good" Audio-Visual work.

I'll be going along to one of these groups (one that seems to have a more liberal attitude than some others) in October and taking a sequence that has not a single photograph in it. But it does combine both images (Visuals) and music (Audio) and so. in my book, it is an A-V sequence.

I'll be very interested in the reaction that it gets.

regards,

Peter

I'm new here, what is this AV group?

David,

I guess that "AV group" here denotes the group of photographers who make audio visual productions, and who are organized, e.g. (in the UK) via a membership in particular groups within the Royal Photographic Society.

Best regards,

Xaver H.

Munich

David,

It is a perception among some people that some of these A-V groups have, shall we say, a restricted definition of what constitutes "good" Audio-Visual work.

regards,

Peter

Ah, I have been to one of them and I do agree. All the talk seemed to be about "voice over" with the images never getting a mention. The av I showed had the dreaded line round the images, they didn't like that a bit, and another incident not related to av at all on another occasion left me distinctly p..... off with the whole av club scene.

David.

David,

If I'm putting two and two together accurately, and am right in thinking you and Tom Court go to the same club then I can place you in the geography of the UK. So I think I know which club you are speaking about - and I could probably even put a name to the individual who keeps going on about voice-over (but as we say in the UK - no names, no pack drill!)

I actually have quite a bit of sympathy with the individual's views in one respect. I've attended several A-V events in the UK that were organised by the Royal Photographic Society. At these events I have experienced some sequences with sound quality bordering on the atrocious on the voice-over. And yet those same sequences have been awarded distinctions by the RPS.

Putting lines around images or presenting them in a windowed mount effect, as I frequently do, is an artistic choice that should be the call of the author of the sequence. Producing a soundtrack whose quality is at least equal to that of the images is a matter of technical competence. And that is where the RPS seems to operate double standards. It demands high technical and artistic ability for the images but lets sub-standard technical quality on the soundtrack get through.

Don't be put off by the pontificators. My attitude on this is: "I build my sequence how I want it to be. If others don't like it - that's tough! I'm not going to change my ways for anyone."

regards,

Peter

• 8 months later...

Not about grading or awarding points...

I often show AV's that I find here (and to be honest, elsewhere) to members at my local camera club. In the past; I have found members here on this forum to be most generous with their knowledge, skills and experience - and I therefore often report back the feedback that I get from members at the CC - to the authors.

At Bangor and North Down Camera Club we have an active AV (and award winning) membership. We meet twice a week, Fridays are normally part of the formal years programme and Wednesdays we do what we want. Over the Summer months, both Fridays and Wednesday are ours to do whatever we want to, and AV's always feature. So if you have an Av that you want detailed feedback on, please let me know. I can send you the feedback privately by email, or if you wish post it here on the forum - up to you. I assume you will want feedback here on the forum.

Getting as many folk involved in your potential 'masterpiece' is undoubtedly the best approach. I have found, to my success, that the feedback from this forum is almost crucial.

• Therefore; do we assume that everyone that posts their AV's here wants 'detailed' feedback?

• Or are they simply looking for general feedback?

• And what sort of feedback do they want?

• Is it for sending to their grandma or grandchildren?

• Or is it for competition AV work?

• Should we be asking folk what sort of feedback they want?

• Maybe we should ask members who the intended audience is? Because clearly the intended audience is most important.

PTE is an excellent product. This is a wonderful forum.

Almark

Mark Allen: Bangor and North Down Camera Club

• 2 weeks later...

Mark it is almost by fluke, that I noticed your post here. The topic, though pinned long ago, has been very quiet. I suspect many who might be inclined to respond, have also not noticed the post. But I shall give you my opinion anyway.

I think the activity level in your club is remarkable. I have certainly no such involvement here in U.S.A. I would love to have any one of my presentations evaluated at any level. When I post a notice of an AV here I always intend to encourage and welcome all feedback. It does seem it would be useful to your group to know the intended purpose of the show. If the purpose is not obvious, then an inquiry from you on a particular show would also alert the author and give him a chance to say whether he would like to hear his show picked apart or just hear an opinion of how your members liked or disliked it. But I would think usually if an author wants that, he would also appreciate knowing why that opinion was formed. To me, perhaps the two most important general opinions could be: 1. Did the viewer feel he was in some way rewarded by investing his time to view. 2. In the opinion of the viewer, how successful was the author in achieving his goal - whatever it was understood to be.