WnSoft Forums

Delay with PicturesToExe for Mac

Igor

Tom

Apologies as I think I misread your posting hence my earlier reply. Are you suggesting I can create a video in FotoMagico, import it into Picture To Exe and then create a .exe file from there? If so I will give it a try to see what it looks like. Do I need a specific version of Pict2Exe. I have an older version and don't want to buy an update for my Windows laptop as I would then have to buy another copy for my MAC when/if the MAC version becomes available.

Regards

Ray

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Igor

Any news yet on how PTE for Mac is progressing?

Dear Igor,

I like possibly thousands of Mac user are still waiting patiently and yes I would not dream of corrupting my Mac with Windows as a resolve. However after the promise two years ago, surely there is some news of any Mac software development - please.

Tom,

Is it possible to do fine, detailed selection of just part of an image or position a pointer precisely on a timeline using a touch screen? To me, that seems to be asking too much of my clumsy finger tip! Rightly or wrongly, I equate touch screen with button "push", icon drag, and such like.

regards,

Peter

My personal opinion is that today is a very transitional time for personal computers (desktops and conventional laptops). Mobile devices are rapidly redefining the personal computer. Mac sales are dropping while tablet sales are increasing. The processing power of these new quad core cpu + gpu devices are just as powerful as most desktop computers. Display resolution is even higher in some of the tablets. Panasonic had a demo 20 inch tablet at CES 2013.

Like it or not the conventional operating system is rapidly evolving into a cloud storage, app store, touch screen, multimedia device interface. Why would Apple continue to support 2 operating systems? I think Apple will soon merge their operating systems (iOS and OS X) into a one so developers can easily create one app that will run on all Apple devices. Microsoft is trying with their Windows 8 Metro interface.

I agree. ipads and Android are big sellers but Windows 8 is genius. A laptop that can double as a tablet is perfect. Best of both.

So I understand why Igor has waited on developing for the Mac platform. My prediction is touch screen retina macbook and iMac this year and merging of iOS and OS X by 2014. Maybe Apple will migrate from Intel to all ARM cpu architecture to make this happen. Intel has been trying to catch up with ARM performance and low power consumption for mobile devices.smile.gif

Microsoft is already switching to ARM with Windows RT. Im not sure about a touch imac though, Id hate to keep reaching for the screen.

Definitely need some type of optional horizontal position for the iMac. I think it would work.

What about Lenovo's 27" table PC? Not tablet, but a table. Even runs on battery for when you want to take it with you.

Wacom has a 24 inch touchscreen device.

Ive use the cintiq. It's nice but expensive. Its not a touch screen. You have to use the wacom pens. its a tablet like the regular wacom tablets but built into a screen, which makes it super easy to draw and retouch with it.

I am glad that Igor has thought about PTE next gen. It sounds like we will continue to have the existing interface plus the ability to easily port the software to Macs and maybe even touchscreens. I wonder if he is using objective C or java? Maybe there is a cross compiler or p-code compiler like Unity.

whatever he's using he needs to finish it. I dont know anything about Unity but the web site looks like its just for games.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

A bit late but I have only just seen your post. Like You. I have now moved over to an iMac and have been very pleased with it so far.

One thing I find a little confusing is how to switch between the MAC and vmWare - do you have a simple solution?

Please email me at ronniewestdigital@ntlworld.com

Regards,

Ronnie West.

One thing I find a little confusing is how to switch between the MAC and vmWare - do you have a simple solution?

What do you mean switch? vmware is just another app. Click on the vmware icon in the dock to switch to it, or if you use Unity, click on the individual windows apps in the dock.

Or are you thinking of bootcamp, where you reboot into Windows?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I just wanted to let you know that one of the many reasons I have not gone for a 'mac', over the years, was this wonderful program PTE. But as a result of an extensive burglary

I decided that I had enough with Win7 and bought a iMac. I was happy to use my win7 laptop for PTE, coping files back across usb drives. But I found a much, much better solution.

If you have a iMac may I suggest:

1. It comes with 4GB RAM, don't do a store upgrade for extra memory. Go to crucial.com and get an extra 8GB for £50/$60. It is very easy to install and you end up with 12GB

2. Install VMware Fusion 3. You will need your original Win7 CD.

3. Once up and running Win7 will do its updates, mine found 89, and later updated to Win7 service pack 1, and so on...

4. The VMware version of Win7 is held in a virtual machine, but if minimised it will still update while you or at work on the iMac.

5. Install PTE to Win7, but you will find that when you try to run it, you will get an error message asking for Direct X.

6. Go back to VMware and install 'VMtools'

7. PTE will now work!

I now have the best of both worlds. Win7 comes up, as a result of it being held in virtual machine, in just seconds.

VMware allows for folders to be shared, so I can add my pictures/images/rawfile folders to be seen and edited in either win7 or on the iMac.

Be aware that while you may not need an Internet Security Suite on the iMac it is still a good idea. Many such suites are free. But if you have a virtual Win7 approach on your mac then a windows security suite is strongly recommended.

While I am clearly new to all this mac lion/win7 get together; if I can help, I will. I do not want this thread to become a Win7_V_Mac debate. I am merely offering this info for folk who have jumped ship and are looking to run PTE on a mac. All feedback is most welcome!

Hi folks,

I just wanted to let you know that one of the many reasons I have not gone for a 'mac', over the years, was this wonderful program PTE. But as a result of an extensive burglary

I decided that I had enough with Win7 and bought a iMac. I was happy to use my win7 laptop for PTE, coping files back across usb drives. But I found a much, much better solution.

If you have a iMac may I suggest:

1. It comes with 4GB RAM, don't do a store upgrade for extra memory. Go to crucial.com and get an extra 8GB for £50/$60. It is very easy to install and you end up with 12GB

2. Install VMware Fusion 3. You will need your original Win7 CD.

3. Once up and running Win7 will do its updates, mine found 89, and later updated to Win7 service pack 1, and so on...

4. The VMware version of Win7 is held in a virtual machine, but if minimised it will still update while you or at work on the iMac.

5. Install PTE to Win7, but you will find that when you try to run it, you will get an error message asking for Direct X.

6. Go back to VMware and install 'VMtools'

7. PTE will now work!

I now have the best of both worlds. Win7 comes up, as a result of it being held in virtual machine, in just seconds.

VMware allows for folders to be shared, so I can add my pictures/images/rawfile folders to be seen and edited in either win7 or on the iMac.

Be aware that while you may not need an Internet Security Suite on the iMac it is still a good idea. Many such suites are free. But if you have a virtual Win7 approach on your mac then a windows security suite is strongly recommended.

While I am clearly new to all this mac lion/win7 get together; if I can help, I will. I do not want this thread to become a Win7_V_Mac debate. I am merely offering this info for folk who have jumped ship and are looking to run PTE on a mac. All feedback is most welcome!

Hi Almark

I have an I Mac 27inch prior to 2009 running Mountain Lion (OS x 10.2.3. Crucial have recommended an up grade by 8GB. I am not over technical so any guidance you can give on installing would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I am always interested whenever there is activity in this area, as I moved to Mac about 18 months ago and held many of the views and concerns expressed here about the introduction of a Mac version of PTE. I am reminded of a quote somebody made earlier which in essence boiled down to "it isn't what you want but what you need that is important".

My situation now is that by using Parallels Virtual Machine software to run Windows7, PTE runs just like any other application, fully integrated with my other principal applications (Aperture and PS Elements etc.).

In fact if I were Igor I would consider very carefully about making the investment in developing a PTE version for Mac but rather put that energy into further developing the main product while always being aware of anything that could damage or improve the relationship with the Virtual Machine environments.

Furthermore, I get the impression from time to time in the press, that there are suggestions that this "integration" between Mac and Windows is likely to develop to some extent, by whatever means I do not know. If there is any truth in that then the present situation can only get even better.

No doubt this will ruffle a few feathers – but that could liven up the debate!

Cheers

John

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally I think the need for a Mac version has been greatly underestimated. I am a great fan of PtE having used it to produce many AV's and within the photography world in the UK is the defacto standard if you are happy to run Windows. I moved to Mac and iPads etc. three years ago and the biggest disappointment was there is not a Mac version of PtE. I was glad to see the back of Windows and there is no way that I am prepared to pollute a Mac by running Windows on it.

I am the secretary of a thriving Camera Club and many of our members are in the same position as me and also have the same views regarding Windows. I would have thought that there would be far greater reward for now stopping any further enhancements to a Windows version and producing a Mac version. Sold via the App Store a Mac version produce a far greater return than the upgrades for. Windows version.

In the meantime I will have to either persevere with Aperture, which is a struggle compared to PtE, or borrow by wife's Windows laptop.

Regards,

John

Personally I think the need for a Mac version has been greatly underestimated. I am a great fan of PtE having used it to produce many AV's and within the photography world in the UK is the defacto standard if you are happy to run Windows. I moved to Mac and iPads etc. three years ago and the biggest disappointment was there is not a Mac version of PtE. I was glad to see the back of Windows and there is no way that I am prepared to pollute a Mac by running Windows on it.

I am the secretary of a thriving Camera Club and many of our members are in the same position as me and also have the same views regarding Windows. I would have thought that there would be far greater reward for now stopping any further enhancements to a Windows version and producing a Mac version. Sold via the App Store a Mac version produce a far greater return than the upgrades for. Windows version.

In the meantime I will have to either persevere with Aperture, which is a struggle compared to PtE, or borrow by wife's Windows laptop.

Regards,

John

Hi John, I too switched completely to Mac 4 years ago and waited too for a true Mac Version of PTE. We build presentations for clients and in the the beginning made them using PTE but after switching to Mac we used Fotomagico Pro.. The quality of the presentations are just a good and infact are excellent when viewing on a Mac or HD tv, BUT it lacks some of the features of PTE. Fotomagico though has been slowly upgrading the features but still not quite where PTE is. Four years has been a long wait and in that time we built many presentations. I too don't want to run Windows on our Macs. I am sure there are Windows systems out there running great but the last 4 years with our Macs have been as close to prefect as I could hope for. Igor and his team have done excellent work with their product and if they came out with a true Mac version I still would consider returning to this excellent product. Regards Bill