WnSoft Forums

An Eye for Beauty

colin hill

Sorry guys, no ladies in this one. :(

I decided to take a selection of pictures from my library and play around with them in Photoshop.

I have used mainly filters, blur and curves to create the effects that I liked. Of course, I do realize

that what looks good to me, may not appeal to others.

Comments are welcome.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zx7qsbg5psi5x08

Colin, that was excellent. Found it very inspiring. On the whole, the altered images were pretty subtle. I would also be happy to see some images a bit more "off the wall" if you make any. Thank you.

I must say the cat looked as though he might be thinking of using the rose as a weapon!

David P

Hi Ken, David P and Rick,

Thank you for your constructive comments. I did ponder a lot regarding whether to use the subtle change or to change from the original and fade to the

enhanced image. As I had 3 (in my view) fairly good enhanced pictures of the flower, I went for the subtle change. I enjoyed putting this together

in that I had a lot of fun in Photoshop with filters and was amazed at the effects one can produce.

Colin

Hi Barry,

The number of replies has never worried me, so why the question all of a sudden?

I do not ever remember making a remark about this. There have been some forum members

who have questioned this recently, but certainly not me. I do not see why I should wonder

why there are many replies. Obviously you have an answer, so please tell!!! :blink:

I do presume you are referring to this particular posting.

Colin

Hi Gayland,

How right you are. I am the next target I suppose. I did read that mammoth posting and remarks.

Obviously some people forget there is a PM on this forum and I will not get into a public spat

which is not good for the image of this forum and non members. I do not appreciate rhetorical

questions which leaves the reader in the air and the person to whom it is aimed.

Enough said. Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,

Colin

Hi Barry,

The number of replies has never worried me, so why the question all of a sudden?

I do not ever remember making a remark about this. There have been some forum members

who have questioned this recently, but certainly not me. I do not see why I should wonder

why there are many replies. Obviously you have an answer, so please tell!!! :blink:

I do presume you are referring to this particular posting.

Colin

Hi Colin,

"You havn't had many replies, do you ever wonder why? / Barry"

I'll tell you, Colin:

- 00 to 44 replies ..... No good show

- 45 to 47 ............. Acceptable

- 48 and counting ...... Good / Very good / The best shows on earth

It's easy! (sorry, Barry, even considering your "Rain Forest 2" , you missed it by so little...)

Ok, I'm just joking... but not so much, anyway...

In fact, I myself enjoy to have comments/replies to uploaded projects, and beeing it the first time I am enjoying even more, I think it's natural.

Anyhow, when someone doesn't like a project, I'm sure there are more subtle ways to express it, even by saying nothing at all.

After reading all 3 pages discussion on that Rain Forest, I must say that I agree with a lot of what Barry says, and I have already expressed it before. Mainly concerning difference between an "A/V SlideShow" and (I can't remember) something like a pack of pictures, or so. And also, for example, the case of that "forbiden" border...

Afterall, this actual post is only one more attempt to underline what, in my opinion, should be a future purpose of all my fellow members using this fabulous PTE software, in order to try to make of every simple and single photo collection (beeing it flowers, holidays, family, snow, rain forest or whatever), something with a kind of story, a kind of start-middle-end, something more "deep" than just contemplating without any "thinking over".

For sure, increased interest would be added, much more important, again in my opinion, than the photo quality itself.

I think that Barry is not right saying that he makes his shows for himself in first place.

No. Barry, and all of us, make our shows according to our own taste, let us say, what is different.

But, a show, by definition, is to be shown... to others, as I understand.

So, it's always necessary to have "the others" in mind, mainly how to keep them "prisoners" of the show, whatever beeing the subject.

Last year I made a one week holidays in North Portugal and took some photos. No idea at all, by that time, what to do with them.

Some months later my wife asked for such photos and I did show them, one by one, in the computer.

"Yes...! Let's have dinner, now" was the only and final "comment".

She was right! (once again...)

That moment I started thinking what to do with such photos, because I did liked a few.

Ok, easy, it will be "Our 2009 Portuguese holidays", a piano soundtrack, and it's done.

6 months later I was upon to finish the project...

It's always possible to develop an idea and work on it, that's what I mean.

Sorry Colin, for using "your" post (I don't want to increase replies to "mine"... Barry wouldn't like!)

Best regards,

Jose

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your thoughts, makes a lot of sense.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Still working?

Here is 03:54 in the morning... I thought I was the only one "working"...!

How is Durban?

I've been near, some years ago, Maputo, and also Kruger!

Wish you the best luck!

Jose

... Mainly concerning difference between an "A/V SlideShow" and (I can't remember) something like a pack of pictures, or so. And also, for example, the case of that "forbidden" border ...

... After all, this actual post is only one more attempt to underline what, in my opinion, should be a future purpose of all my fellow members using this fabulous PTE software, in order to try to make of every simple and single photo collection (being it flowers, holidays, family, snow, rain forest or whatever), something with a kind of story, a kind of start-middle-end, something more "deep" than just contemplating without any "thinking over".

For sure, increased interest would be added, much more important, again in my opinion, than the photo quality itself ...

These remarks are not new, but they are among the best that has been written in this section of our forum, which is dominated by freaks of animation techniques.

Those who are interested in this subject may have a look at the following article by Ron Davies: Producing an AV Sequence

And those who have the opportunity to read German may look here, as well: AV-Dialog

Regards,

Xaver

Hi to all,

I would like to state my point of view, seeing this is my posting where I innocently posted an audio visual, nothing more!!!

It is totally unfair for the experts with a critical eye to post damning remarks on members posts and thus spark a debate on

that members posting.

I refer to Barry who seems to have the art of upsetting members and who I see has not replied to his remark or explained the

reasons for his rhetorical question. It was Barry who tore apart my first audio visual I posted on our Caribbean holiday. I

appreciated the comments and have learnt from there, but things have not changed regarding real negative and nasty comments.

The expert members I think must stop and think that there are a lot of members who are new to this and they do not need the type of

remarks that certain members post. I am not going to go into the comments debate as this has been hammered out before. All I ask is that

constructive criticsm be given in the spirit and context of this forums aims amd objectives.

It has never bothered me about how many replies I receive and never will. Newer members need encouragement when posting their audio visuals,

not nasty remarks. I consider myself a fairly new member and still a novice to this and let me say, I am at the point of now giving up posting

anything on this forum as I do not need my posting to be hijacked by people who decide to target me and post such remarks on a public forum.

I would respectively request that all debate on this matter on my posting be terminated and if anybody wants to carry on with the subject of

the number of replies, open their own somewhere else.

I would like to end off by once again thanking those members who did give the constructive criticsm which was asked for.

Colin

Those who are interested in this subject may have a look at the following article by Ron Davies:

Producing an AV Sequence

Regards,

Xaver

Thanks, Xaver, for indicating the above article.

I didn't know it, but after reading it all, I think it is a most important "Bible" for all of us.

Regards,

Jose

Oh Crickey! I only get about five replies to my posts and two of them are mine - never mind, I'll keep plodding on.

Reading down these posts I was going to suggest Jose might like to try posting on Twitter where a maximum of 160 characters are allowed - and then two posts that fit this ceiling. Well done Jose.

Oh Crickey! I only get about five replies to my posts and two of them are mine - never mind, I'll keep plodding on.

Reading down these posts I was going to suggest Jose might like to try posting on Twitter where a maximum of 160 characters are allowed - and then two posts that fit this ceiling. Well done Jose.

Hi Mick,

It's called versatility...!

And thanks for your fresh humour, always welcome!

Best regards,

Jose

Jose - I must confess that I removed my posting myself. And now I must go and lie down in a darkened room.....

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I just removed my post as well.

This was the only thing to do after your honest and beautiful attitude which I did appreciate.

Best wishes for you, ok?

Jose

(Mick: another one "Twitter style"... you see? Yes, I can!)

Colin

Please relax a little, my post wasn't in reference to the content of your slide show, I posted while downloading your show, then forgot it all about it until I spotted it on the desktop a day or so later.

I posted because I feel there is a problem on the forum with regard to feedback on our slide shows. Those who would be prepared offer feedback are frightened off by those who wish to jump all over anyone who do not share their views.

If you need evidence of that you only have to read this post again.

I am not sure this is very good for the poster, because in most cases they don't get a fair response, all they get are those who are willing to back slap. We all hope for a positive comments when we post a slide show. Or we wouldn't post them would we. It can be disapoointing when things are not as positive as we like, but thats the nature of photography.

Now before you all start trolling through every post finding examples of less than perfect comments, I remind you this is a general observation. You will always find some exceptions. And while I am on my soap box, if a member doesn't understand a post, why not ask the writer of it to clarify, rather than filling in all the blanks themselves and then spitting feathers.

I say again guys, relax. Surely we are all here to get better at what we enjoy arn't we?

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your reply and clearing up your remark. I do believe the written word can be very deceiving and can so easily

be taken within the wrong context. That beside, what you say is true. I however enjoy sitting for hours trying to think up

something new to put together and showing the final product here on this forum. I know we do not enjoy reading negative remarks

about our audio visuals, but I suppose we must learn to take the good with the bad and realize we have members from all corners

of the globe, all with different ideas and perceptions as to how a show should be.

This is how I view the situation and have certainly learnt a lot from members on this forum. It is so pleasing to see new members

who have advanced tremendously and are now showing fairly good audio visuals, though not up to the experts standard. We can only

learn from our mistakes and comments posted and advance from there.

Best regards,

Colin

... I feel there is a problem on the forum with regard to feedback on our slide shows. Those who would be prepared offer feedback are frightened off by those who wish to jump all over anyone who do not share their views.

If you need evidence of that you only have to read this post again.

I am not sure this is very good for the poster, because in most cases they don't get a fair response, all they get are those who are willing to back slap ...

I think that this analysis is (more or less) correct, but it does not take into account that it will overburden the typical member of this forum to write significantly more than just "I like it" or "I don't like it" :rolleyes:

Regards,

Xaver