WnSoft Forums

Monochrome Magic

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry

I love monochrome & I liked the show until I realised it was a commercial for one of your tutorials, bit below the belt I thought. On your web site link for the show I think you've invented a new word "calkled " which I think is a typo for "called"???

Yachtsman1. ;)

Eric

Thanks for the tip about the Calkled, funny how many times you can read something and slide right over the typo

Sorry about the Add, but it doesn't spoil the pictures does it. Tell you what. PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of the disk with my compliments, see what you think after seeing the whole thing.

What is it about someone making a little money from Photography that offends you so, you have no concerns about Igor selling his software, so why not tutorials. I agree that you don't want to fill the forum with adds, but a rare one from members can't hurt can it. Once in a blue moon, pretty please :rolleyes:

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric

Thanks for the tip about the Calkled, funny how many times you can read something and slide right over the typo

Sorry about the Add, but it doesn't spoil the pictures does it. Tell you what. PM me with your address and I will send you a copy of the disk with my compliments, see what you think after seeing the whole thing.

What is it about someone making a little money from Photography that offends you so, you have no concerns about Igor selling his software, so why not tutorials. I agree that you don't want to fill the forum with adds, but a rare one from members can't hurt can it. Once in a blue moon, pretty please :rolleyes:

Hi Barry

I won't be taking you up on your offer, much as I like mono, we all have our own way of doing things & I'm happy with mine. With regard to making money, I have no problems with anyone making money, but I don't think the forum is the place for it, especially by devious means.

Igor is providing a service for his product by sponsoring the forum, which in my eyes is entirely justified, without the product there would be no forum.

Picture is one of my Mono's

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-99361900-1303497879_thumb.jp

When I first started with this fine product I must say I found it a little overwhelming.

The basics were fine but I wanted to learn the complexities of the program.

Fortunately people like Barry alerted me to their tutorials through this forum.

I find his products first class and revert to them often.

I also discovered the Dom here and have purchased several of his wonderful templates.

Along with Lin who has a wealth of knowledge and his tutorials helped me through the difficulties I was having.

I appreciate all the help I have received, either free or purchased.

I would not have known about any of these products without being on the forum.

Just my two cents,

Kieron

PTE is a difficult program to learn, in my camera club I am the only one using it. Some other people tried it and went with Pro Show. If it was not for Barry's tutorials I would still be struggling more and had probably changed to another program also. I think Barry provides a service to the PTE community and the promotion of his product on the forum seems very much understated to me.

Bert

Eric

You are a stubborn old Yorkshireman arn't you. My tutorials also allow me to promote PTE and sell copies which assist both Igor and me. So far I have directly sold something like 850 copies of PTE on disk myself. I was the first to promote PTE in the UK with a National Magzine article and at the time, even Igor said he wondered why sales in the UK jumped. So in total I am not sure how many versions of PTE I have sold or helped to sell. PSG seem to be what people use over in Australia, but I am affecting that too.

All of this has also brings in a steady stream of emails and phone calls where people have PTE problems. I answer every one to make sure I can get them over their sticking point. For those who have been really stuck, I have even made them a personal video (no charge I might add)

Every talk I do involves PTE at some stage, so I think I deserve a break from any righteous nonsense, especially from thee.:rolleyes: or come to think of it anyone else on this forum.

PS. your attached picture is not bad, but you have lost detail in the sky and the tones in places are weak. Its suffering from a contrast problem where the range of tones in the scene you shot are too high for you to either capture in one shot, or manipulate to bring them out, which is the point of the tuts I have just made.

If you can't bear to let people know I sent you a free tutorial, I won't tell if you don't :lol: We will just keep it between ourselves.

The quality of Barry's show is not affected by the ad at the end even though it is a bit "in your face". The show inspires me to improve my B&W photography and it is good to know there is help to be had if I need it. Perhaps something more subtle with a link would have been more appropriate.

Great pictures Barry, as always well put together and presented with sympathetic transitions and music. 'A short promotional slideshow' as stated on the forum page.

I agree totally with Kieron (Admiral) how along with many on this forum (experts or otherwise) they have helped me enjoy this software from Igor and have inspired me to take my photograhy in this direction. Barry has been instrumental in this with his excellent tutorials.

Eric,

Why on earth wouldn't you accept a free tutorial CD from Barry? You may not get another chance! There is always so much more on these cd's than the label suggests covering some many interesting techniques and tips. Go for it!!!!

Anthony

I hope I'm not out of order here but I felt I wanted to add my '2 penn'oth' as we say in Lancashire.

I've only posted a question once, before, and it was Barry who gave me the best advice, for which I was very grateful.

I looked at the download page for this AV, that's mentioned, and it quite clearly states that the pictures were made for his tutorial disc and I can infer from this that it will be, at least in part, a promotional AV. I have the choice to look at it or not, as I wish. I did wish, and enjoyed the photography, as I knew I would.

I've downloaded quite a number of Barry's AVs as they always manage to hold my interest, either by the story or the photography, but also have lots of built-in extras to remind us of what we can do to make our own AVs more interesting. I'm talking about the use of frames, subtle transitions, the elusive 3rd image, colour etc., etc. We can all take a couple of dozen snaps and place them against a background track of music and call it an AV but I don't think that is quite what we want. Watching good AVs, whether they are promotional or otherwise, can only encourage us to try out our own new ideas and methods of approach.

What I can't understand is why an issue is being made out of this particular AV when I can remember following links (on these forums) to tutorials which didn't make any mention of cost until they were reached. I don't remember any criticism of these, usually just a member saying, "Thanks!"

Am I missing something here? Is it that the post is in the wrong section? Possibly .......... but I don't think that point has been mentioned.

I would imagine that if someone was out of order, with a post etc., that a forum moderator would have some comments to make.

Unfortunately, reading these posts, it's possible to think that the issues are more personal than about the supposed subject. This is a shame, as the posters themselves can lose credibility.

Sheila G

Three issues seem to have evolved here.

1. The invitation to view a slideshow, which in my view is excellent.

2. The creeping in of a few personal comments, which in my view is uncalled for and unnecessary.

3. The wider issue of whether adverts relating to third party products should be allowed on the forum.

Is this really any different from a forum member suggesting the use of a third party product to do something (eg batch renaming) - I don't think so.

Any reference to third party products which will help us to achieve better things with PTE in my view is to be applauded.

My twopenneth for what it's worth!

Regards,

wideangle

The original complaint seems more a matter of personal antipathy than righteous indignation. The complainant has had no compunction in the past in trying to 'sell' AV shows to raise money for charities which he deems worthy.

post-3684-0-34582900-1303635889_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished my first run through of Barry's Monochrome Magic and have picked up a lot of useful tips from this disc. I, for one, am grateful that Barry posted his "advert". I hope to translate this tutorial into better mono work and should be posting one or two projects that I have in early planning stages before too long.

Regards,

Paul